Danemouth Esplanade

Danemouth

I thought it might be worth saying a few words about the fiddle yard on Danemouth Esplanade. Originally it was a five found sector plate but I found it awkward to align and it did warp slightly. About 12 months ago I changed over to a fan of points which operationally is more reliable but I've lost some space.

post-7048-0-92602900-1411670792_thumb.jpg

• The 90 deg.curve from the main board needs to be second radius to accommodate my tender engines so the fiddle yard is in code 100 with small setrack points,
  • The change from code 75 to code 100 happens at the backscene "mousehole",
  • The points have surface mounted Peco Motors,
  • These are controlled by an old Digitrax DS64 decoder, as Addresses 30 - 33
  • Until now the five routes have been programmed into the NCE Powercab but the Esplanade station will need all 16 macros before considering the fiddle yard. Luckily the DS64 has a macro capability so the macros will be stored there and appear on the Powercab as Accessories 21 - 25,
  • Roads 1, 2 and 3 will hold up to three coaches without locos. Road 4 will hold a B Set and loco or goods train whilst Road 5 is used with Peco Loco lifts to add, turn and remove locos.

I will be making a couple of minor changes to the fiddle yard and testing them before stating work on the main boards.

Regards,

Dave

I spent an interesting hour in the garage trying out the various options kindly suggested by Jon.

Looked at it from all angles and decided that I would leave things as they were except the head shunt which I've curved to follow the main line.

I've also added the water tower but am not sure where it should be located - have I placed it in the wrong place?

post-7048-0-27795400-1411741183_thumb.jpg

On a separate thread I've received a great deal of help in signalling the layout - here's the diagram

post-7048-0-42925700-1411741397_thumb.jpg

As always comments and advice are always most welcome!

Over the next couple of days I will start to lift the existing track, though some will be retained.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how closely you intend to follow the Anyrail plan when you actually lay the track, but you've drawn a few kinks into it:

post-6813-0-11216500-1411747000_thumb.png

The main line needs to be more of an open S-curve to connect with the axis of the station (dashed red line) and the bay needs easing too

Looks like a fun layout though, particularly if you operate a summer Saturday.

Dave, I've had a most enjoyable read of this and am glad you are happy making a fresh start.

In your thread I think I saw that you intended to commence the scenics fairly early on, but I suggest you need to get good running first with the new track layout. Then you can 'play'  and improve it in light of actual workings whilst putting the scenics in. And start at the back and work forward.

I'm probably trying to teach my grandmother but the above is the practice I follow.

Good fortune with the build.

Dave, I've had a most enjoyable read of this and am glad you are happy making a fresh start.

In your thread I think I saw that you intended to commence the scenics fairly early on, but I suggest you need to get good running first with the new track layout. Then you can 'play'  and improve it in light of actual workings whilst putting the scenics in. And start at the back and work forward.

I'm probably trying to teach my grandmother but the above is the practice I follow.

Good fortune with the build.

John,

Absolutely correct; my two previous attempts at Danemouth were fully wired and test first but have been marred by my failing to think the scenic options all the way through and in overestimating my ability to do anything more than straightforward scenery :)

For this reason I've given a lot more thought to this layout; when I saw the Electricity Substation yesterday I bought it because with my luck it will be no longer available when I need it!

I have also gone for the simplest scenery to increase my chances of doing a tidy job.

I am hoping to have the track laid by the end of next week and wired a week after that - being retired has advantages!

Then will follow playing trains operational testing. First big task on the scenery will be the excursion platform followed by the arcade of Metcalfe shops.

Regards,

Dave

I agree Dave. I feel it is always best to think the whole layout out first, both scenery and trackplan so that the finished layout looks as one, rather than a track plan with scenery added around it.

That's the reason for the slowness of altering Wencombe into a terminus. I have yet to get a real feel for the look of the completed layout.

I agree Dave. I feel it is always best to think the whole layout out first, both scenery and trackplan so that the finished layout looks as one, rather than a track plan with scenery added around it.That's the reason for the slowness of altering Wencombe into a terminus. I have yet to get a real feel for the look of the completed layout.

Mocking up, placing bits of flexi track, peco point templates, really rough buildings and structures and then place odd bits of stock I find useful, look at it from lots of views, take photos, walk away and sleep on it.

(And, Westerner, your caution well placed IMHO, you've a delightful layout so don't rip it up until you're confident you'll get what you want from new idea.)

Firstly I am a great admirer of Wencombe and I pleased that Westener is being cautious before taking the saw to such a fine layout. I, on the other hand, was polishing a t*rd so need not have any qualms about wholesale destruction.

This morning's task was to rip up most of the track and salvage the points and Cobalt Motors, followed by filling in the holes left by the motors.

post-7048-0-67138600-1411824144.jpg

post-7048-0-75143300-1411824152.jpg

I had originally thought to save the DCC buses (one for track, the other for point operation). However when push came to shove I decided that it was best to scrap the lot as the right hand section will now have 4 point motors instead of one and it would be easier to fit a decoder module and frog juicer there.

Once the filler has dried I will place the track out again and think things through before getting the Xuron cutters out - will post some ;pictures.

Regards,

Dave

I like those clip on lamps, can you tell me what they are and where you got them please Dave.

Rob,

I've had them a while and bought them in B & Q as an end-of-line. I would like a couple more but haven't found anything similar in any of the DIY sheds.

Regards,

Dave

I've now laid the track out using full lengths of flexi track

This shows the entrance from the fiddle  yard with the substation. The steel rule by the substation is roughly where the goods yard fence will be.

post-7048-0-86982400-1411917244.jpg

The station throat

post-7048-0-53628100-1411917273.jpg

Facing the other way -  the long steel rule is roughly where the excursion platform edge will be

post-7048-0-82018400-1411917300.jpg

And with a little stock to show that the run around loop can hold at least 6 vans and a brake van. The excursion and main platform are capable of holding 3 + loco if the loco is to run around or 4 + loco if the stock is to be removed by another loco.

post-7048-0-27755100-1411917260.jpg

I will have a look at this for a day or two and try out a couple of other options before starting tracklaying in earnest.

Regards,

Dave

So, there I was looking at the track when a nice sequence of moves for a busy summer Saturday occurs to me:

• A train pulled by a Grange arrives at Platform 2,
  • The loco uncouples and backs into the run around loop and waits,
  • Another Train pulled by say a Hall arrives at Platform3,
  • It too uncouples and backs into the run around loop and couples up to the Grange,
  • Together they go to Danemouth Town to be turned watered and fed, and
  • In due course return and attach themselves to their trains or other stock that has changed in the interim.

And with DCC this should be straightforward.

Ordered a set of replacement pads for the Cobalt motors and a new back to back gauge. My back to back has been missing for months - doubtless it will turn up tomorrow!

Regards,

Dave

Today I've bought a double slip and another medium right point. I had originally intended to use those salvaged from the existing track but decided to go for new on the basis that if there are problems they would be the very devil to change.

I have now completed the operational diagram.

Danemouth Esplanade Operating Diagram.pdf

This is two sheets of A3 in cheap frames above the layout with all the info to operate the layout conveniently displayed. Most of the routes are set voa macros - the Powercab will hold 16 of these with 8 accessories or nested macros in each.

Once the signalling is added, which will be DCC, these will be put in the appropriate macro which is why arrivals and departures have separate macros.

No doubt there are errors in the macros but these are easily sorted out on the first run through.

Regards,

Dave

I've been thinking about the Loading Dock with two sidings and thought I would ask for opinions.

I already have the Highley Yard crane on a plinth and had thought about removing the crane from the plinth and installing it on the triangular loading platform.

However, I have come across one of these for sale http://www.ehattons.com/23338/Bachmann_Branchline_44_006_Corrugated_goods_shed_Scenecraft_range/StockDetail.aspx a rather nice GWR goods store

So I am thinking of putting the crane on it's supplied plinth on one siding and the goods store on the other.

What are your opinions please? Remember that Danemouth Esplanade does not receive mineral traffic - it's mainly box vans and NPCS with the odd wagon,

Many Thanks,

Dave

Good evening Dave.

Unfortunately I was sidetracked Monday evening due to a court appearance (the daughter, not me !)

All things considered, I could accept a loading dock c*m fish jetty c*m carriage shoot at Danemouth Esplanade, for the obvious reasons.

I would think that the mineral traffic e.g. coal deliveries and larger items requiring a crane and other mileage traffic could be adequately dealt with at Danemouth Town (or whatever it's called).

And, you could justify parcels, mail and newspaper traffic at Esplanade.

Railway Modelling Rule No.1 applies !!!!!!

Brian R

Just come back from Lord & Butler again!

Part-ex'ed three 16 ton mineral wagons no longer needed and bought the GWR Goods Store I mentioned yesterday (which was the last one) together with a pack of Woodland Scenics Palm Trees for the sea front (right backscene).

Also bought the Classix Water Tower http://www.ehattons.com/39418/Pocketbond_Classix_EM6105_Water_Tower/StockDetail.aspx

Repaint the doors, windows and tank into BR(W) colours and it should look reasonable,

With a little luck I will start track laying this afternoon,

Regards,

Dave

Depending on the date of the layout, you might not need to repaint the doors etc. Wouldn't expect that such an item would be high on the list for repaints after nationalisation.

The window frames are white and can remain so whilst the door is almost black so that won't take long to paint. The tank colour is reasonable so a little weathering will cover that nicely,

Regards,

Dave

My modelling mojo is working at full blast.

The track has been laid and the cork around it tidied up.

This afternoon I hope to solder the droppers on the track so that fitting the Cobalts and wiring can start tomorrow - I aim to finish this by the end of the week.

The main boards, with fiddle yard disconnected can be turned onto its back which makes things easier to wire.

Cheers,

Dave

I've been asked about the clip on spotlights I use on the layout a couple of times in the past. They were from B & Q and no longer available. I bought three of these in Clas Ohlson today in a 3 for the price of 2 offer - £15.98 in total!

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Loke-LED-Spotlight/Pr182702000

Now back to installing point motors - 9 done 4 to go.

Regards,

Dave

Just tried them - fine except they are more towards the spotlight end of the spread rather thas floodlight - not a problem for me. Incidentally they are LED with an estimated life of 15,000 hours - when the bulb fails it appears you throw the whole thing away.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well the track is laid and wired, platforms built but without final surface and macros set up and tested.

The fiddleyard:

post-7048-0-69336800-1414074507.jpg

Looking from my favourite operating position - the Metcalfe buildings along the backscene are from Danemouth Mk 1 and will not be used on Danemouth Esplanade - all the other buildings, mainly Bachmann will be used

post-7048-0-48096100-1414074561.jpg

post-7048-0-52237800-1414074535.jpg

The Goods Yard

post-7048-0-76828800-1414074521.jpg

The control point where the Powercab plugs in. The switches (L to R) are for the track bus, programming track and Points bus. The programming track is Siding 2

post-7048-0-20442300-1414074575.jpg

Now lets see what it looks like on a busy holiday Saturday with an Autocoach in Platform 1 behind a GUV that has been parked whilst in Platform 2 there's 2259 with a B set and strengthening coach. The excursion platform has a Grange and three coaches whilst the goods yard is full. The latter will hold 5/6 vans - would have preferred them longer but I've got what I wanted.

post-7048-0-27349800-1414074591.jpg

post-7048-0-07687700-1414074605.jpg

post-7048-0-24198300-1414074619.jpg

post-7048-0-61342400-1414074634.jpg

The operational diagram has also been updated

Danemouth Esplanade Operating Diagram.pdf

Next job is the platform surface followed by making a start of building the Metcalfe kits

Regards,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Archived