Danemouth Esplanade

Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I am always impressed with Double Slips, somehow they make the trackwork seem complex!

Do you have a layout in progress at the moment?

Regards,

Dave

I'm currently waiting to be allowed receive SWMBO authority to get started in 'the room' (half of a double garage) although daughter and I have done a module for the SWAG day modular layout at Taunton plus Llamedos (part pictured above) sits in a stack in the room at present.  Progress Start on the new layout is closely related to what gets finished in the garden and i still need further research on gradients as I'm greedily looking at several levels in order to do what I really want to do.  The upper level is now firmly fixed in mind as a small intermediate station, with a bay, on the North & West and the next level down is 'the Valleys' if I can get it to fit.

Big headache is planning the woodwork!

Firstly can I thank the three of you for providing really helpful responses so that I can get things just right!

Brian,

The run round loops on the two platforms is based on Minehead - this had that short siding off the loop on both platforms. Had a look through my GWR books and this seems to be their standard practice - a quick trawl showed ony one station where it didn't happen - Blagdon which is far too small for my ideal operational needs!

I like the idea of paving the goods shed road - perhaps we can discuss it at the club!

I have the track laid out and am thinking of losing the headshunt and the bottom siding below the station - also considering losing the runround loop on Platform 1 and having a bay platform instead. I will alter the track and then work my way through the operational sequences.

Nick,

Danemouth Mk 1 was a very freelance version of Kingswear and I would have stuck with it if I hadn't made such a mess of the space for scenic development!

Hadn't seen that plan for Barnstaple so I am studying that with great interest and will doubtless incorporate features from it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Alan,

Kingswear is one of my favourite stations, as I said above the original Danemouth had that as its starting point - unfortunately the turntable took too much space.

Thanks for the offer of the CJF plans - as it happens I have that plan book. His plans assumes a 2' radius curve into the fiddle yard - as the garage in slightly under 7' wide my curve must be 2nd radius which means in needs to be hidden - damn!

So what next? this week I shall be trying your suggestions on the baseboards and suspect the track will develop into something nearer the old Danemouth with touches of Kingswear and Barnstaple :yes:

Again many thanks to all of you for your valuable assistance,

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Looks like an interesting layout in the making. I don't see a problem with the short siding as it is ideal for an engine holding siding. I have ths same plan on my layout which is used for this purpose. At Kidderminster on the SVR there is a short siding in the same style

as yours with a couple of coaches on it. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Regards

Marcus

I'm currently waiting to be allowed receive SWMBO authority to get started in 'the room' (half of a double garage) although daughter and I have done a module for the SWAG day modular layout at Taunton plus Llamedos (part pictured above) sits in a stack in the room at present.  Progress Start on the new layout is closely related to what gets finished in the garden and i still need further research on gradients as I'm greedily looking at several levels in order to do what I really want to do.  The upper level is now firmly fixed in mind as a small intermediate station, with a bay, on the North & West and the next level down is 'the Valleys' if I can get it to fit.

Big headache is planning the woodwork!

With Autumn almost upon us the gardening season will finish so with a bit of luck it will be chocks away!

My woodworking skills are at best described as dismal so I got somebody to make the boards for me and I've put them on Screwfix trestles.

Regards,

Dave

Oh <insert expletive of choice>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new fiddle yard is a fan of points - The small ST240 & ST241 which are second radius. Danemouth has always had a 90 degree second radius curve into the fiddle yard which all locos traversed happily.

Now discovered the Grange and Hall will derail on the curve of the Setrack point. Everything else even the 2250 and all the diesels are happy.

So it's back to the drawing board,

Dave

Following on from last week's moment of interest with large tender engines derailing on the point that forms part of the 90 degree curve into the fiddle yard I've now relaid the complete yard - it still has five roads two of which can hold three coaches which is the largest train Danemouth will see. I've also got some space to put three loco lifts adjacent to the track.

The main part of the layout uses Cobalt point motors  and  their AD4 decoders. For for the fiddle yard I've used Peco motors with an old Digitrax DS64 accessory decoder that I could never get to work with the Cobalts and Powercab. It's on top of the fiddle board at the minute but will go underneath in due course.

post-7048-0-42596200-1379596941.jpg

post-7048-0-79218600-1379596941.jpg

Macros have been programmed into the Powercab and my running diagram updated:

Danemouth Operational Diagram.pdf

Back to looking at the scenics!

Regards,

Dave

Nice that you are getting some posts again Dave. I will update on my LGP or Gruff's Wicked Railway soon!

To be honest my enthusiasm waned somewhat over the summer, particularly as it was my first summer being retired.

Towards the end of June I saw a layout at the Newport show in O gauge called "Frecclesham" based on a Southern station that was broadly similar to Danemouth. That's were I got the idea of a second slip which eliminated the operational problem in the goods yard.

Once I had relaid that bit of the track I started to look at other bits of the layout - the sector plate had never quite met my expectations and so I've relaid it with something that better suits me operationally.

Over the next few days I will start work on the scenery at the rear of the layout. Bearing in mind Danemouth is a seaside town albeit past its best, I find myself still debating between:

• A road with low relief houses and shops as shown in the photos above, or
  • a road with car parking (i.e. people gone to the beach) and a grass embankment with trees. There are several seaside stations e.g.  Saunderfoot which are not near the town and look at Kingswear where that station is at the foot of a hill.

Will have to bite the bullet shortly.

I look forward to "Gruff's Wicked Railway. As my grandfather, a GWR signalman used to say "Travel on GWR and see the world, travel on LMS and see the next!".

Regards,

Dave

How about a scenic compromise in terms of the backscene Dave?

A cliff leading away to the left on the road from your bridge / tunnel was in the Danemouth 1 plan I think and you could have a seascape (complete with 1/76 gulls and droppings?) following round towards the town-scape which would start with an end of terrace house / end of street corner leading down to the beach. Moving more to the right could be streets and buildings backing onto your station? Somehow I always envisaged that sort of scene from the first viewings of your plans.

If you have a computer running Windows 7, there is a desktop picture option that utilises views in the UK One of these is Selsey Bill and the Seven Sisters viewed with a few - former coastguards? - cottages in the foreground. That might offer some food for thought.

Please tell me to pee off and mind my own if you wish!

Hi Dave

I think the new station buildings look great and suit the style of the layout. I know you have commented before on your scratch building abilities, but can I make a plea that you consider changing the terraces at the back of the layout. Something more cottage like like Kingswear or Looe might help with the seaside feel, or even painting some of the terraces to give a rendered appearance. it wil also give your model railway a more individual feel.

just a thought and looking forward to the next instalment - your making far more progress than I am

Dean

Thanks to Gruff and Dean (Rovex) for your ideas. You've both managed to put your finger on something that has been quietly nagging at the back of my mind - my current ideas don't really shout seaside at you.

Thinking back to the Fifties I remember going to Porthcawl on the train - main line to Pyle and then the branch train of two autocoaches with a tank sandwiched between them (something I will recreate for Danemouth). However my only memory of Porthcawl station was standing on the sea front looking at the buffer stops - the station was at 90 degrees to the front.

My choice of a seaside town is to enable me to run plenty of passenger traffic, both the local non corridor stuff and coaches detached from expresses at "the junction".

Thinking about it the seafront across the back e.g. the promenade railings with a road with parked cars, buses and taxis seems attractive! Something to ponder over a couple of large glasses of Pinot Grigio

Always open to helpful advice and tips.

Regards,

Dave

If you're feeling a little bit adventurous perhaps one of those fancy victorian shelters that were so common along the esplanade ala Weymouth

post-7075-0-77506100-1379664626.jpg

Mark Hughes makes something that could pass muster for one of these, although intended as a tram shelter (http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Mark%20Hughes%20Models.htm)

post-7075-0-44383400-1379664738_thumb.jpg

Or, if you want something simpler the wills taxi drivers shelter could pass muster with a bit of work

post-7075-0-02371900-1379664908.jpg

I built a couple of octagonal kiosks using a faller kit for an a long term project (I've always wanted to build a model of a pier - don't ask). I left the clock off the top and added a canopy with scalelink brackets and valancing, but never got any further than that.I can post some photos if it will help.

Dean

I think a row of 3 storie bay fronted rendered properties painted in brighter colours (pastels - blue, yellow and white) would lend an air of seaside town to it.  If you are having a road overbridge at the end perhaps the terrace could stop part way along and be replaced by dunes or a cliff with the sea beyond on the backscene.  Add some B&B signs to the terraces and it would give more of that feel you want.  Check out google streetview for inspiration - eg Tenby seafront is a good place to start

• 9 months later...

Well, there's been no posting on this thread for almost nine months, two reasons for this:

• My modelling mojo temporarily faded, and
  • My other hobby, photography, became a lot more hectic as I was making a new show for the camera clubs of South Wales - this took almost four months.

Anyway over the past few weeks work has restarted with:

• The entrance to the fiddle yard now has an embankment (not complete) with a road across the top,
  • Across the back of the whole of layout foam board has been added so that the town, and particularly the station entrance are on one level, and
  • Platforms have been constructed, again not yet finished

A couple of quick photos, not to my normal standard:

post-7048-0-66330600-1403710117.jpg

post-7048-0-69635700-1403710118.jpg

post-7048-0-28186300-1403710119.jpg

Ignore the backscene buildings, I am about to start a parade of 12 Metcalfe shops, customised with suitable seaside names and their new arcade fronts which I find very reminiscent of seaside towns.

But first I must straighten the kinks out of the track - it's only pinned at the moment!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Throughout the summer I haven't spent a great deal of time working on Danemouth. As the layout is in a garage without windows I prefer not to be in there on a nice day.

I have had several operating sessions though to check for snags before moving forward - the goods yard is a bit of a pig to shunt with two of the sidings facing the opposite way. I have come to a modus operandi that helps.

My big stumbling block is the entrance from the fiddle yard which looks awful and doesn't feel right.

post-7048-0-42902100-1411150482.jpg

At the beginning of this week I said to my fellow modellers at the club that I was thinking of scrapping the layout and starting again but as this is my second attempt in five years I decided to give it some thought which is just as well. I've come up with:

• A new scenario which involves the station becoming "Danemouth Esplanade",
  • Some tweaks to the trackplan and fiddle yard, and
  • The scenery redesigned from the ground up.

More to follow over the next couple of days.

Dave

As I said in my earlier post I have found that Danemouth Mk2 wasn’t going anywhere scenically. Those who have been kind enough to follow this thread know that I am somewhat c@ck handed – you’ve all heard of a magazine “for the average modeller” – well in the scenery building department I am well below average!

I am fine with a Metcalfe Kit but anything too far beyond that tends to frustrate me so I will now resist the temptation to overdo things and make a pig’s ear of it. Luckily track laying and electrics is something I am reasonably good at so that’s a solid foundation.

I’ve also decided that there is no chance of my exhibiting this layout – I will continue to operate other people’s layouts at exhibitions.

I’ve decided to stay with a seaside layout as I have a fondness for passenger and van traffic. I did think of an urban setting but changed my mind.

Think Barry Island, Porthcawl or Weston-Super-Mare.

The Scenario

• Danemouth is a town on the coast of south Devon on a double track secondary line of about 15 miles from the South West Main line.
  • The GWR decided to build a line to Danemouth towards the end of the nineteenth century, However due to the intransigence of the Earl of Danemouth and a couple of wealthy local burghers the station ended up getting built the wrong side of the town leaving holiday makers and day trippers with a mile and a quarter walk to the seafront.
  • Following the death of the Earl in 1901 a change in attitude prevailed and the GWR decided to build a station on the seafront “Danemouth Esplanade” to cope with rapidly expanding traffic. This is a single track line of about 1 mile from the renamed “Danemouth Town” station. Over the years like Porthcawl there were plans several times to make it double track and add a platform but this came to nothing.
  • The new Esplanade station was basically designed for holiday traffic and vans containing goods for the shops, hotels and boarding houses at the seafront end of the town.
  • The loco facilities and carriage sidings remain at the town station so tender locos have to go up the single line to be turned and return tender first.
  • The esplanade sidings can be used for storing empty stock and excursion trains on busy summer weekends.

The Traffic

• B Sets and Autocoaches from the SW Mainline junction – think Pyle to Porthcawl.
  • Trains from across the country – corridor stock with some coaches going all the way to the seafront
  • NPCS such as GUVs – I’ve done away with the end dock so these go against the buffers of the bay platform
  • Vans and the odd coal wagon. These are from the Town Station so everything that comes is for the Esplanade.  Given the trip is only a short one so don’t be surprised to see the shunter’s truck.
  • At busy times the station has a pannier as a pilot – improbable I know but I do like panniers.

The Plan

This is it:

post-7048-0-79873000-1411155789.jpg

• Danemouth Town is on the left and the seafront on the right.
  • There are a row of low relief terraces on the left with trees obscuring the fiddle yard entrance.
  • Behind that is a park with high wall and trees to add a bit more cover.
  • In front of that terrace is a cul-de-sac which also contains the road entrance to the goods yard.
  • Along the back will be the beach carpark – I do like those model cars!
  • Then comes the shops (Metcalfe with the new arcade fronts – looks Victorian to me) with signage appropriate to a seaside town. There will also be the “Danemouth Pavilion”, a pub and maybe a bank.
  • At the right hand end will be a hint of the seafront e.g, ice cream vans, palm trees etc.
  • There will be a taxi rank and bus stop in front of the station.

Well that’s enough for now – let’s see it develop and maybe I’ve got it right this time!

Regards to you all

Dave

Work is well underway.

That awful embankment has been removed,the left backscene board replaced and moved out a little - the scenic area is now 313 cm by 60 cm.

This morning all the backscene boards have been given a coat of sky emulsion, now waiting for it to dry.

Regards

Dave

I do like an interesting back story.

Like you buildings aren't really my forte hence there has been little so far on rebuilding Wencombe into Kingsbridge Regis at the end of the line. It's still likely to happen and one or two building kits have been acquired. Hope both our builds go well.

I do like an interesting back story.

Like you buildings aren't really my forte hence there has been little so far on rebuilding Wencombe into Kingsbridge Regis at the end of the line. It's still likely to happen and one or two building kits have been acquired. Hope both our builds go well.

Alan,

I needed the "Thanks" and "Agree" buttons for that.

The station building is the Bachmann Highley Station with house and gents. Virtually everything else will be Metcalfe - they are markedly superior to other kits IMHO

Doubtless there will also be some RTP stuff - got the Highley Yard Crane and Signal Box.

Currently using the Metcalfe Goods shed as a placemarker but I need somebody to make a good GWR shed!

Best wishes for your build,

Dave

Archived