Availability of "OO" Southern Region Parcels Trolleys ?

phil gollin

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes an "OO" model of the standard Southern Region (heavyweight) Parcels Trolley ?

I can remember them well, although they seem to have been rather camera shy.  I can't find a picture of them on the web, but have found two in a couple of books ;

"Odd Corners of the Southern from the Days of Steam" has one on page 75 in the upper photograph, whilst

"More Odd Corners of the Southern from the Days of Steam" has one in Plate 32.

They were metal, heavily built and seemed to be left at the end of many, many platforms.

Any information would be very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

MODERN LUGGAGE TROLLEY (2)

YORK CONT./ROLL CAGE

B.R.U.T. TROLLIES (3)

All from .......................http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/shop/index.htm              

these are 4mm.             

If the link takes you to the Cat. front page, click on scenic items, you will have to scroll the whole page...........

Hope it helps. :secret:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Highly recommended- superb little models-and excellent service from SS!

Only the two wheel on the Shire Scenes frets.

The SS version is a pain to build and they look a little undersize when completed. My soldering skills have deteriorated too.

I will have to try the SB ones as they have open spoke wheels. Pictures of Padstow show 4-5 of these tipped up beside the baggage room door.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I speant many an hour sitting on one (of many) at Wimbledon station in the 60's watching locos's and EMU's.

Yes they were a popular bum-perch on bigger stations in those days, with plenty of room for several of you, plus duffle-bags etc. And typically parked away from the main passenger seating, too. The BRUTEs that replaced them in the late-60s were a lot less accommodating with the 3-sided cage, but I was beyond number-snatching by then.

We had similar on the Southern in the late 70's.  Also had similar on WR.  Saturday mornings at Teignmouth and passenger luggage loaded up it needed 2 of you to take it across the track and up the slope of the up platform.  The truck was already heavy enough without the luggage.  The top sides were of a more rounded construction than this similar photo.  If I remember rightly 5' x 3' is a rough size.  I think the GWR ones we had had a 'T' shaped wooden handle.

Archived