My First Metcalfe Kit, PO213 Engine Shed

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just finished my first card kit - Metcalfe PO213 engine shed.

Pretty close to a GWR pattern apart from the rectangular vents at the end.

Went together easily and produces a reasonably good model (as long as you excuse flat brickwork!)

Front: post-6208-0-52554700-1357515841_thumb.jpg

Rear : post-6208-0-37807600-1357515870_thumb.jpg

Overhead: post-6208-0-68614800-1357515896_thumb.jpg

Since taking these shots I have painted in some of the exposed corners which improves the look somewhat.

Well satisfied, so have purchased a few more kits to start filling up the layout.

Keith

Keith, 

Gosh, for a first Metcalfe model you certainly picked a big one! A nice build, too. Job's suggestion is well worth considering, I use watercolour paints and  pencils, they can be 'run around' edges with a wet paintbrush, Metcalfe card stands up well to this treatment.

It may be worth sealing the bottom edges of the building in case excess moisture from ballasting or other scenic work causes it to de-laminate  [ask me how I know!]

More, please...

Doug

• RMweb Premium

It may be worth sealing the bottom edges of the building in case excess moisture from ballasting or other scenic work causes it to de-laminate [ask me how I know!]

Doug

I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

Keith, 

Gosh, for a first Metcalfe model you certainly picked a big one!

More, please...

Doug

I had intended to do the free signal box from the RM first but needed a shed building to get the track in the right place, so I bit the the bullet.

It was a joy to build, little fettling to get pieces to fit, unlike some plastic kits.

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

how would you recommend sealing the edges?

I built (past tense) many dozens of Metcalfe's output for other modellers during the last decade.  I sealed the lower exposed edges by running a bead of PVA along with a fingertip.  When this dries it basically fills the pores in the card sufficiently that they're less prone to mishaps.  You could presumably use a varnish in the same way.

• RMweb Premium

I had a very relaxing couple of weekends making this kit a while ago..... Although I made a few changes, to get more of a GWR feel to it. I will post some 'photos soon!

I would be interested to see your changes as I found looking at E Lyons books on GWR sheds that all the features of the kit are to be found on GWR sheds somewhere, but not necessarily all at the same time!

The biggest discrepancy I would have thought is the lack of doors and smoke ducts over the entrance. But even some sheds are missing those.

Adding extra detail like roof ladders, which many have, would be nice.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested to see your changes as I found looking at E Lyons books on GWR sheds that all the features of the kit are to be found on GWR sheds somewhere, but not necessarily all at the same time!

The biggest discrepancy I would have thought is the lack of doors and smoke ducts over the entrance. But even some sheds are missing those.

Adding extra detail like roof ladders, which many have, would be nice.

Keith

I clad it in corrugated iron!

Changed the look of it completely!

There is a photo as part of my layout page:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67477-wharncliffe-junction-gwr-in-the-1930s/

Archived