Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time that I committed Pen to Paper (Mac style !) and described what has been evolving in the (new) layout room.

The shed started out as 4ft wide and 16ft long (External), giving something like on 1ft 6 in between the tracks and 12 ft to walk up and down, but don't try to turn round! I decided to take the front off and build out by 18 inches, which now gives plenty of room inside.

My requirements when deciding on what I wanted were:

1. Great Western Railway during the 1930's - mainly around 1936. (Plus some 1970 Blue Diesels! - But that is more about playing trains.)
  2. An oval, tail-chaser layout. (Double track main-line)
  3. Big enough to show decent length trains: Passenger Trains to be; 6 carriages and a loco; Freight trains to be a Loco and 20 wagons.
  4. Outside track to utilise Hornby 4th radius curve. (Flexible track would be great, but was very conscious about keeping the right geometry.)
  5. Curves at both ends of the layout to be hidden as much as possible. (One end includes the town, with the other having hills, a viaduct and a canal.)
  6. Loosely based in the Thames Valley.
  7. Two track engine shed, together with usual good facilities.
  8. Branch line; which will mean a 3 Platform station.

Then the Practical details:

1. DCC controlled. (Initially by a Bachmann Dynamis; but this has been replaced with a Gaugemaster Prodigy).
  2. Mix of Hornby and Peco Track - Code 75
  3. Points controlled by the Bachmann (ESU) Point Decoder. There are 4 under the layout. Although I still prefer to control the points manually! The decoders are likely to go soon.....

I do not do fine scale modelling, as long as it looks pleasing to the eye / a fair imitation, then I am happy. Clearly, I admire Pendon and everyone that is able to get to that sort of standard, I know my limitations!

With the layout something like 4 years old, I thought it was time I started to pull it all together for RM Web. A while ago, I started a layout based on Henley on Thames station. I still have the buildings, but it would take so much space to complete, maybe that will become the retirement project - but thankfully that (retiring!!) is a few years off yet!

I hope you enjoy what I have done so far, comments and pointers will of course be very welcome.

post-6981-0-76171500-1359147069_thumb.jpg

This is the current track plan, which has developed over the last few years. One area that is still being changed is the Fiddle Yard. At the moment (25th Jan), it is only 2 tracks, but will shortly become 4 tracks, together with a cassette fiddle yard system. The track plan was drawn with the Trial version of Railmaster, with additional bits in Photoshop.

Maybe the Railway will look like this one day!!

post-6981-0-38235900-1359148389.jpg

Stock is mainly R-T-R, with a fair smattering of kit built wagons and carriages. Buildings are now from Ratio; Bachmann; Hornby; Metcalfe and Scalescenes. 

post-6981-0-22599800-1359150743_thumb.jpg

I am particularly pleased with this end of the layout. The tracks exit the fiddle yard on the left, through a tunnel, across a viaduct, into a cutting, under the road bridge and into the station throat.  The hills are made with polystyrene covered with plaster bandage and Guagemaster grass mats. The Viaduct is a Scalescenes download, with the pub being the Bachmann Pendon "Waggon & Horses" soon to be re-named... maybe the Swan; White Lion or the "Wharncliffe Arms" - Not sure really at the moment, but it will change soon!  The loco is the Bachmann City of Bath No 3433 Hauling some Bachmann Collett carriages.

post-6981-0-88097000-1359151817_thumb.jpg

Here seen hauling some Slaters Toplight carriages; I wonder if we will see some R-T-R Toplights soon?

The Goods facilities are based around the Ratio good shed, added together with cattle pens and coal staithes.

post-6981-0-36544900-1359152851_thumb.jpg

The ModelZone Bucks and Berks series of Private owner wagons, I have two sets, one as bought, the other dirtied up somewhat!

post-6981-0-36915600-1359153172_thumb.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed these few 'photos and an insight to my model railway.... Welcome to Wharncliffe; change here for Spikes Bridge! - I will add more 'photos and details of the railway over the next few weeks.....

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Neal.Keep the photos coming and I do like those toplight coaches.I too have that Ratio goods shed and isn't it a very nice kit.I see a little piece of Pendon too.'Wharncliffe Arms' sounds right to me. :)

• RMweb Premium

Nice layout Neal do I detect some-one from the Southall area here? my Dad was Head Groundsman in the Sport Ground at the real Spikes Bridge.

The MZ limited editons look good not got round to weathering mine yet.

81C  

Spikes bridge is where we were taken to play as Kids! 

And also as a child, I have memories of being taken to the footbridge over the railway at Southall. Plus obviously later memories of spotting locos beside the line.

• RMweb Gold

Nice layout and approach and I like the canal scene very much.  It's always a problem with a layout plan like this fitting in the goods or branch line etc facilities when you are constrained by length and it can me - as you have - finishing up with running line facing connections and main line slip connections in the way you have.  But That can I think be visually overcome in some ways.  I'm having just the same problem in trying to get together a track plan for a through station with a bay and a small yard so am trying to plan it ina way taht other features might distract the eye from the most awkward bit (which in itself isn't unprototypical but is still 'a bit awkward').

• RMweb Premium

Nice layout and approach and I like the canal scene very much.  It's always a problem with a layout plan like this fitting in the goods or branch line etc facilities when you are constrained by length and it can me - as you have - finishing up with running line facing connections and main line slip connections in the way you have.  But That can I think be visually overcome in some ways.  I'm having just the same problem in trying to get together a track plan for a through station with a bay and a small yard so am trying to plan it ina way taht other features might distract the eye from the most awkward bit (which in itself isn't unprototypical but is still 'a bit awkward').

it helps that the layout is something like 4ft 6' above the floor - you can't actually see the points! - I resort to standing on my tool box to check they are set right!

Great layout you have got there Neal and I look forward to seeing further photos of it. The canal scene is especially good with plenty of detail to look at and lots happening, is the other end of the layout (the Town) complete yet or is that still to come?

Looking forward to seeing more later.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Great layout you have got there Neal and I look forward to seeing further photos of it. The canal scene is especially good with plenty of detail to look at and lots happening, is the other end of the layout (the Town) complete yet or is that still to come?

Looking forward to seeing more later.

Jim

Thanks very much Jim.

The Town is very much "work in progress" at the moment. I am customising a few Scalescenes High Street kits at the moment, which will include a large Woolworths and a scratch-built Regal Cinema. There is still so much to do to complete the station area, that the town is only a brief diversion during last weekends snow! 

• RMweb Premium

Another 'photo of the Canal area.

post-6981-0-81373700-1359222379_thumb.jpg

Looking across to the corner, bottom right on the plan. The GWR lorry is heading down to go under the Viaduct and out to the next village within the local Goods Zone. 

Moving round to the goods yard, this shows the other road that comes down the hill and over a scratch-built road over bridge. A Thames valley TD1 Double Decker bus comes over the Bridge and is about to follow another GWR lorry down the hill.

post-6981-0-51969100-1359222417_thumb.jpg

The Yard looks busy today! generally it's always the kit built wagons that stay on the layout. A Ratio Mogo van is in shot, with the roof of an Ian Kirk full Brake in the goods shed road. In the 'photo that end-loading dock looks a bit on the steep side! This area needs some ballasting still, plus a weigh bridge and associated office. Plus I need to make some gates and find a suitable lamp for the entrance.

Moving further along we have the Engine Shed, which started life as two Metcalfe kits.

post-6981-0-14700100-1359221787_thumb.jpg

It still needs some work to complete it and I see in this shot, there is a bit of buckling of the roof. The roof of the offices is not yet fixed, hence appearing to buckle a bit. Not sure I will keep the old Metcalfe louvre vent, coming back to the model, I'm not convinced it looks right. I also need to add guttering, doors, lamps and water columns. Although not seen in this shot, the engine shed goes right through, so will need doors at both ends. A GWR 61xx and Hall class loco (Saint Brides Hall) are on shed today.

In the background (Left) can be seen a traction engine making the steep ascent from the station into town. Eventually the town will be sitting at this higher level, where a few buildings can be seen.

This is great Neal. I have spent almost two years planning my 11'6" x 9'6" design to include end-end and a roundy-round option so far to try and avoid pitfalls. I always seem to be nearly there and then either read some advice or see something on RMWeb that makes me think again! If I can get near this, I'll be happy!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal,

Great to see your Western thread.  Does your pub really need renaming?  The Waggon and Horses on the Uxbridge Rd at the top of Brookside on the border of Hayes and Southall was a landmark, so I guess the name would fit in with your layout's locality, being so very near.  I'm assuming it was there in the 1930s. We caught the bus home from there when visiting my grandparents on Sundays in the 50s and 60s.  The bus timetables always carried the pub names for the stops, didn't they? 

I'll be delighted to see some more of your lovely layout.  Thanks for posting.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Neal.Keep the photos coming and I do like those toplight coaches.I too have that Ratio goods shed and isn't it a very nice kit.I see a little piece of Pendon too.'Wharncliffe Arms' sounds right to me. :)

Wharncliffe Arms it is then! 

post-6981-0-32593000-1359226630_thumb.jpg

The Pub was removed and the old chap was still sitting there, completely oblivious to the fact that his pub had disappeared and been named. I'm sure though I saw him sit up straight when I was taking the 'photo!

This is great Neal. I have spent almost two years planning my 11'6" x 9'6" design to include end-end and a roundy-round option so far to try and avoid pitfalls. I always seem to be nearly there and then either read some advice or see something on RMWeb that makes me think again! If I can get near this, I'll be happy!

Thanks very much for the comments. Not sure my humble efforts are that good, it's just my interpretation, with a few bits not quite there, but it's all about having fun along the way! 

Over the years, I have had many end to end, plus the end-to-end pipe dreams (Henley), but this is the first tail chaser since I was a kid!

Hi Neal,

Great to see your Western thread.  Does your pub really need renaming?  The Waggon and Horses on the Uxbridge Rd at the top of Brookside on the border of Hayes and Southall was a landmark, so I guess the name would fit in with your layout's locality, being so very near.  I'm assuming it was there in the 1930s. We caught the bus home from there when visiting my grandparents on Sundays in the 50s and 60s.  The bus timetables always carried the pub names for the stops, didn't they? 

I'll be delighted to see some more of your lovely layout.  Thanks for posting.

Polly

Oh no! - I had forgotten about the Waggon and horses on the Uxbridge Rd! - Maybe I will have to find an excuse to include it in the town.... Looking at one of our local pubs last night, I reckon I could make a pub out of the Tudor style shop in the Scalescenes High St, with a bit of creative licence!

http://www.francisfrith.com/hayes,middlesex/photos/the-waggon-and-horses-c1965_h497002/#utmcsr=google.co.uk&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.co.uk

For those who do not know where the name Wharncliffe comes from, there is a viaduct on the Great Western main-line just outside Southall called Wharncliffe Viaduct. Named after Lord Wharncliffe who was a Director of the GWR, the story goes that he was not pleased to have a viaduct named after him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wharncliffe_Viaduct

• RMweb Premium

The Toplights that Rob refers to above:

post-6981-0-37002300-1359227714_thumb.jpg

These are the Slaters kits, that still need a bit of work to finish and that lean needs to be sorted out as well ! - A third carriage to complete the set will be nice soon!

Incidentally, the platform canopy in the background was originally built for my Henley station model. It will be finished and set into place on Platform 1.

• RMweb Gold

What a splendid thread Neal.........thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I think the canal and pub scene are particularly well done. You have an interesting stud of GWR vehicles and I do like the way you have utilised them around the layout.

A question......like you I have the GWR Mechanical Horse Trailer.........have you come up with any ideas for the advertising board on the sides?  Tinys Signs are a little too big and too thick. I keep meaning to google or try and devise my own.......by sheer coincidence once I have finished my coffee I am off to the garage to spray  on some dull cote

• RMweb Premium

What a splendid thread Neal.........thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I think the canal and pub scene are particularly well done. You have an interesting stud of GWR vehicles and I do like the way you have utilised them around the layout.

A question......like you I have the GWR Mechanical Horse Trailer.........have you come up with any ideas for the advertising board on the sides?  Tinys Signs are a little too big and too thick. I keep meaning to google or try and devise my own.......by sheer coincidence once I have finished my coffee I am off to the garage to spray  on some dull cote

Thanks very much John. It has already had a coat of matt varnish, but I agree it needs some posters.... I might use some from the Staverton kit from Scalescenes - Printing onto paper, there is no thickness and the size will be just right. I can now see all my lorries with GWR Posters! - I need a driver for the horse-drawn cart though... and more horse drawn carts come to that!

Thanks again for the comments.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much John. It has already had a coat of matt varnish, but I agree it needs some posters.... I might use some from the Staverton kit from Scalescenes - Printing onto paper, there is no thickness and the size will be just right. I can now see all my lorries with GWR Posters! - I need a driver for the horse-drawn cart though... and more horse drawn carts come to that!

Thanks again for the comments.

Thats a good Idea.....I have been trying for ages to persuade John to produce a Grouping Signage package.......does the Staverton Kit include signage as well as grouping posters?.

I do hope you didnt think I wasnt suggesting your trailer needed a matt finish......it was just the coincidence of me clutching two shiny trailers and a shovel and reading your post

Kind Regards

Edited.....just checked the Scalescene site......answered my own question!

• RMweb Premium

No offence taken John!

I went mad with the Matt varnish a while ago and the mec horse looks so much better for it.

You can also source posters on-line via Google images of course, that was where the Wharncliffe coat of arms came from. Of course its againt copyright, but its personal use and I doubt anyone will worry about appearing on the layout!

• RMweb Premium
Small error Polly the pub at the top of Brookside was the Hambrough Tavern I use to drink in there a few years before the riots, the Waggon and Horses was in Hayes 1/2 mile up the Uxbridge Rd.

Like you Toplights did you find the bogies were a sod to put together ?

81C

I thought the Hambrough was at the far end of Hayes. My father was born opposite it! In Berrick Ave. in looking for the Waggon and Horses on Francis Frith collection this afternoon, I was surprised to see only 1 photo each of Hayes and Southall.

Re: Toplights. I don't remember the bogies being difficult, but having got them out the box recently, they don't run very freely. That and coupling issues, might see me replace the bogies with some Collett bogies from Bachmann. Not correct, but they will run better!

• RMweb Premium
Excellent idea - how do find operating at that height as a matter of interest?

Other than needing to stand on a box, if you want to look down on something, I find it so much easier. Plus wiring is better.... This time sitting on the tool box! Very civilised. The only part that is lower is the Canal area. The Town of course is even higher, which will make it interesting looking into all the shops!

• RMweb Premium

I thought the Hambrough was at the far end of Hayes. My father was born opposite it! In Berrick Ave. in looking for the Waggon and Horses on Francis Frith collection this afternoon, I was surprised to see only 1 photo each of Hayes and Southall. Re: Toplights. I don't remember the bogies being difficult, but having got them out the box recently, they don't run very freely. That and coupling issues, might see me replace the bogies with some Collett bogies from Bachmann. Not correct, but they will run better!

The Waggon and Horses was on the other side of the crossing across the dual carriageway from the end of Brookside Road (sorry, 81C, we all called it 'Brookside' for short).  My grandparents lived in Berwick Ave.  Mum grew up there at the same time as Cleo Lane who lived on the other side of the brook through the passage way at the end of their section of the road.  Shame the pub's been demolished.

Hmm.  Layout height.  I'll get a stool...

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I took the 7 foot wb bogies of some Hornby Colletts I was dumping (the bachmanns one are 9 foot wb) as I had sealed the coach roofs on and could not change the bogie centres these run perfectly well and they also resolve the coupling issue all be it tempory, I'm going to try some Dave Geen white metal one's as recommended by fellow RM member at some stage.

81C

Polly I got it mixed up with Bankside I checked the Google map Brookside road is in Hayes near the Coach and Horses, Bankside is on the Southall side of the canal where the Hambrough Tavern is.

OT a bit Do either of you remember to rubber co & the timber yard go up in smoke?  

Bogies: Sounds a better idea - are they available on the spares circuit?

Re: Timber Yard - No, I didn't grow up around Hayes. We left Southall in 1966 for Hampshire, returning to the area (Feltham) in 1977. However Mum and Dad are due for dinner today, so will ask!

I did however get some 'photos of the Hambrough Tavern after the riots!

Anyway - back on topic, I will post more of the railway soon!

• RMweb Premium

You might try but I had no success with the spares people I paid £6 for damaged coaches at Ron Lines in Southampton I told what I wanted and he came up with six coaches which were not on bad condition they are running around at the moment on the Replica 9 foot bogies I purchased at the Woking show a few years ago for about £1.50 a pair they are getting the full Monty refurb' at the moment Comet sides and S/D ends, roofs and underfames etc I've seen plenty of them at the monthly Odiham swap meet worth a visit it about a mile off J5 of the M3 but make sure you pick up the newer type the older ones have a genric bogie on them.

81C

My area at work covers Fleet and Basingstoke, so I am round there quite a bit! Any idea when the next one is?

Thanks,

• RMweb Premium

A question......like you I have the GWR Mechanical Horse Trailer.........have you come up with any ideas for the advertising board on the sides? 

John - have you seen this photo of a mechanical horse trailer.... Although not sure that is the poster I had in mind!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceanorak/7949539692/in/photostream/

Regards

Archived