8' X 6' Shed.... Terminus out and back Layout.

BOARD OF TRADE

I have been given an 8' x 6' shed with an outwards opening door and would wish for a 4 road Terminus capable of holding a 4 coach(old type Hornby Clerestories) or a 3 coach(newer longer Hornby Clerestories) train behind at longest a Saint or shorter locos,GWR pre Grouping era.

Is it possible to fit such a terminus(2 Arrival Platforms and 2 Departure platforms) out and back  double track plan with a passing station in such a space with if at all possible a continuous run?

I have searched the web for something suitable,in no way does it have to conform to GWR practice or track layout requirements,and although I have seen simpler versions of some of the things I want, I have yet to find anything that incorporates the above "requirements"/wishes.

Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks.

Board of Trade,Les.

One of the Peco track plan books has much of what you want although I recall it was drawn for slightly larger space, but not much. It had modest terminus with four platform roads. A small through station (loop and one siding), a further loop to avoid the station, a few hidden sidings and a return loop, under the terminus. I'll see if I can find the book, it's around somewhere.

However, it does sound a bit ambitious in just 8' x 6'.

Many thanks for the replies so far,a few things to contemplate certainly,and bearing in mind that I dont mind it having a "train layout" look it might just be possible but for me it's going to have to be something I can copy.

It isn't that I lack initiative or imaginination but simply that I don't have anywhere near enough knowledge of track layout and the various" does and donts" of designing a layout that I would inevitably end up with a completely impractical mess of spaghetti that would be impossible to electrify.

So many thanks to all.

Whatever you do DON'T try to "squash" Peco/CJ Freezer plans into smaller spaces. Find a plan you like for a space smaller than you have and you can then have slightly larger curves and longer loops/platforms. You could look at the Peco Setrack plan book which has some interesting plans by Paul Lunn. I am intrigued by his layouts with "scenes" with part stations etc, but have not seen any built.

You may be able to get something approaching what you want in the space you have but I think it will look a bit "train-set-ish" as you put it. I don't wish to be rude, but do you have the experience to build something that complicated? You may well find it more satisfying to build something simpler but plenty of people have jumped into the deep end and swum successfully!

Good luck

Ed

Sorry, meant to say that Colin's suggestion of "Minories" for the terminus is a good one and certainly well proven.

Les, I would agree with has been said so far.  CJ Freezer is a great source of inspiration - you need his Plans for Small Layouts the 1960's edition probably off eBay.

You could try this layout from the Railway Modeller - BUT it is not out and back.  I fear that the 8ft length of your shed might prove the critical point.

Regards  Ray

• RMweb Premium

I took 6" off the quoted shed size to allow for inconveniences like structure, tried to reproduce Crewlisle and failed utterly.  However, I did come up with the plan below, which provides continuous run and a return loop on the flat, along with with (waves hands and mumbles) scope for a branch and terminus.  The acid test is whether the branch can be worked in with a reasonable gradient to the terminus - frankly it seems unlikely to me, but then so does Crewlisle (and Ray's rather nice layout too, come to that).  The operating wells aren't exactly palatial either. (Edit: min second radius)

post-6813-0-85449000-1357862973_thumb.gif

Archived