Sarah Siddons damaged!

Xerces Fobe2

According to my colleagues on the Disrict Dave Forum, Historic Metropolitan Railway electric locomotive Sarah Siddons damaged! Ahead of the steam runs, Sarah has been moved to Lillie Bridge Depot.

She was driven into one shed at the depot, and struck the roof, causing damage. I understand that temporary repairs have been carried out.

XF

Oops. Someone slipped up on the method statement or risk analysis then.

Sarah is slightly essential as No 1 back to back with a Battery Loco wouldn't be quite the same, and there isn't time to get either the A Class No. 23 or Bo-Bo No 5 John Hampden out of Covent Garden and restored to full present days standards working order for Sunday. No, I know it's just a pipe dream and would be impossible, but No. 23 would have been wonderful.

I suppose the other option would be to draft in one of the Panniers, but breathing might become an optional extra.

There are some pictures of the interior of Sarah on this web site http://citytransport.info/Sarah-Siddons.htm. It appears there is some switchgear above the right hand cab window, but I couldn't spot any major cable runs in the roof.

The curvature of the dome may have helped to minimise the damage, but that will also depend on the speed of impact and the height above rail level of the obstruction.

In this age of smartphones with cameras, I'm surprised that a photo hasn't appeared on the web yet.

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing reported AFAIK about Sarah being withdrawn so I assume the damage is not to severe. It could be no worse than scraped paintwork. No doubt photographs exist (For insurance purposes?) of the damage that may in future come into the public domain.

Archived