Made by Magic: The Hogwarts Railway

cgraham

Thanks, Big.

MARRS will be at the Mid Eastern Regional National Model Railroad Association convention October 10-13 in Rockville, MD USA

I'll have Hogwarts and Hogsmeade Station spruced up and on display in the Hotel ballroom along with other club members' modules in a continuous loop operating display.

http://home.comcast.net/~candp2013/

shit.jpg

Edited by cgraham

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out that Neil Besougoloff, Editor of Model Railroader Magazine will be attending and presenting at the NMRA MER Conference at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Rockville, MD in October.

Hotel_zpsdb447f25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm  amazed you have so little traffic on your thread. I am blown away every time I see your Hogwarts, truly beautiful work. In fact if the two of you cgraham and Sasquatch were geographically closer you could do the Abbey, Hogwarts, and fight over the station or alternate.

Talking of this station, how I missed the owls before I will never know, and your dementors are lovely and finely made. I know I love Goathland and am also a Harry Potter / Heartbeat fan but I do think both of you do lovely work. Both of you are very talented. Hogwarts and the Abbey are to my mind as good as it gets, and both your Goathlands have great features, and a lot of child appeal.

Thanks Jaz - I sincerely appreciate your comments.

I feel the same way you do about Sasquatch's work. I am also a great admirer of the detaled scenery he attributes to Mrs 'squatch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm  amazed you have so little traffic on your thread. I am blown away every time I see your Hogwarts, truly beautiful work.

Yes, Clays castle is one of the most spectacular models I've ever seen.  

It certainly inspired me to stretch my limits a little further!

Enjoy the show Clay.

Regards Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a 2nd place in the NMRA Mid Eastern Region Module competition for Hogwarts Castle and 3rd place for Hogsmeade Station. A U.S. Civil War depiction in O scale took first place and it deserved it.

Here are some shots of my stuff from the show:

nmrashow10smcrisp_zpsbc1d5147.jpg

nmrashow12smcrisp_zps867fdccc.jpg

nmrashow13smcrisp_zps8652e0c4.jpg

nmrashow15smcrisp_zps56ee0d59.jpg

nmrashow17smlowcrisp_zpsf3699ac8.jpg

nmrashow19smpanorama_zpsf7eeba27.jpg

nmrashow21smwidecrisp_zpsf6ef3183.jpg

nmrashow23smKeycrsip_zps104dc18d.jpg

nmrashow24smboathouse_zps349b794b.jpg

nmrashow25smcastlenice_zps769fafb0.jpg

nmrashow26smvcrispcrop_zpsa2878493.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 2

I like the point rodding! Is the pub a Skaledale item? It looks fab!

Regards Shaun

Thanks - Yes, If I remember right it is a Skaledale pub. A member of a Harry Potter fan group won an informal contest to name it. It's called the "Wand'r Inn."

• RMweb Gold

I belong to a model railway club in Maryland and I have been building Harry Potter themed modules beginning with Hogwarts Castle. It is built to US HO module spec's as a pair of 48" corner modules. The castle is entirely scratch-built.

post.jpg

normal_broom_view_2.jpg

2gwrfbo.jpg

I also modeled Hogsmeade Station as a pair of 48 inch by 24 inch modules. I used a mix of Skaledale and Bachmannn 00 scale structures based on Goathland Station - with some small modifications.

0001003800.jpg

11-11-11b002b.jpg

2dakbd3.jpg

Prototype shot:

113017_zps6505a712.jpg

Hogsmeade%20Station.jpg

...and back to the model

241vyf7.jpg

8006.jpg

overheadsmall_zps6f1c4d24.jpg

oiajaa.jpg

ndqyb9.jpg

2ms4zv5.jpg

Below is a YouTube video - click the image:

Nice touch having some Dementors attacking the train and was that Aragog I saw too in the background ? Nice.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of YouTube video links to American model trains passing by Hogsmeade Station and Hogwarts at the 2013 NMRA MER Convention - both videos shot on tripod, no hand-held jitter.

<

>

<

>

-Clay

Edited by cgraham

I love the closeup of the little boat house. In the pictures with the whole of Hogwarts you get no idea of the wonderful amount of detail. Scrumptious.

Do you have any other detailed areas? It's a bit like drilling into an Allan Downes piece of work.....superb.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it GMT and the clocks are effected, but your thread says last updated YESTERDAY=16th Oct

Have you been hacking the system to get more views????????

Seriously though.......how strange......

and I just noticed the  way you doubled up the cattle dock as the wharf....clever play on images.

Thanks Jaz.

I made the 8' module section to be ambidextrous. That is, water at each end so either end could mate with Hogwarts Lake. On one side, the 1st year students' row boats just beach on the shore by the Wand'r Inn. On the other I gave them the little pier to tie up to. It seems I rarely set up with that side against Hogwarts though.

0001003800.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The James River Division guys who took 1st place in the NMRA module contest in Rockville MD last month (October) with their Civil War depiction share a couple of photos of our setup and a nice mention on their blog:

"Both MARRS and BANTRAK ran long consists including various steam and diesel prototypes. The MARRS layout featured not only some very long C&O and Pennsylvania RR coal drags, but also some interesting European prototypes not to mention a set of Harry Potter modules that included a gigantic scratch built replica of the Hogwarts campus. Taken together the layout room created a dynamic meeting space to observe operations, talk about model railroading, or just chat about the convention."

Here is a link to their write-up and photos:

http://jrdnmra.blogspot.com/2013/10/mer-part-3-of-8.html

Yes, that's me.

-Clay

Edited by cgraham

• 3 weeks later...

The Mid Eastern Region of the U.S. National Model Railroad Association just posted their quarterly newsletter with a write up of the Convention. They included contest results and a write-up mentioning Hogwarts and Hogsmeade Station. The author is very complimentary, but you may pick up undertones of disapproval paying tribute to mutterings from some of the most conservative old timers - which suits me just fine. Rock the boat, Baby. 

http://mer.nmra.org/MEReLocal_Files/IssueLatest.pdf

-Clay

The hobby is a bout fun......you go.....they are just jealous of your building skills!!!

Notice they still gave you two good pictures, and the pictures show off the work just fine. Or perhaps they were so stunned by the lovely workmanship they were scared to say anything because it wouldn't be enough.

Edited by Jaz

Thank you, Jaz.

I think that some members of the U.S. National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) (particularly older, professionally retired members) believe that model railroads are primarily a medium through which one has a moral obligation to capture and preserve historical scenes depicting both railroad supporting and supported infrastructure. For some subscribers to that code, one’s work is evaluated on how effectively one performs that sacred duty. I saw rapt admiration in judges’ eyes as they noted what they deemed to be correct representation of dull and uninteresting scenes of defunct industry. I noted looks of disdain in the same judges’ eyes for what they saw as fanciful abominations that do nothing to support, but only detract from the pure faith. 

That’s OK by me. I'm not motivated by a need to preserve railway/railroad history.  I'm motivated to create a miniature scene that compels the viewer to wish it real with a desire to enter and become a part of it.

post2.jpg

nmrashow3sm_zps7fa031c4.jpg

nmrashow17smlowcrisp_zpsf3699ac8.jpg

• Like 2

I appreciate their wish for historical fact, but they miss the broader issue, and your does both quite nicely. A little humour is what enchants the kids (and the kids in many of us especially me) Hogsmeade full fills both in my mind. It is not a fantasy station merely a fantasy scene.....Add some film crew and say it was the day filming took part. Let them choke on that.

And I could go a nice beach with palm trees. Better yet a seat in the yacht with my hand trailing through the water......um you have sharks don't you EEEEEKKKK!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I saw rapt admiration in judges’ eyes as they noted what they deemed to be correct representation of dull and uninteresting scenes of defunct industry. 

I wonder if they made sure that the number of rivets were correct and said "tut tut" to the amount of fun being had.

Edited by Kris