Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

This afternoon I put Boxenby shed on board number one and then a few lengths of track on board number two. This is the first time both boards have been married up with the depot on.

14197300251_3e6daecdd6.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

14013978587_a9739d72b8.jpg

14013947350_0ae2d659ca.jpg

Hopefully this gives a better idea of the eventual set up.

Tomorrow I hope to put out a few more lengths of track and may be another couple of locos.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening Alex

Suddenly the depot building doesn't look so big when placed on the two boards together, you get a completely different view of it. How big are those boards they look huge!

Thanks Bob and David.

Hi Ian, you are right it does look very different with both boards put together. It is funny as for the past few years I have only been working with board 1 and the depot shed, so to see it next to the slightly longer board 2 makes me realise just how long the whole layout will be.

Better keep that quiet otherwise Mrs Grimley might find out and then there could be trouble with a capital T!

Earlier I went out to the garage and measured them, board 1 is 1.5m long and board 2 1.75m long. I also took a few more photos which I will post later.

It does look a nice size Alex. The depot sits well on it. Your sizes have put my layout into perspective. Both of my boards are 1.82m long, and its N! Looking forward to seeing you doing the outside bit!

Hi Cav, it is a nice size but only if I have somewhere that allows me to have the boards up and play! Joking aside, I am pleased with it and seeing it set up as it is now really does allow me to get a better idea of how the layout should look. Me too, although I do need to crack on with the inspection pits and the inside of the shed first. I have been very busy over the past few weeks so haven’t had any time for modelling but hopefully next month that will change.

I went to expoEM on Saturday for some inspiration and motivation and certainly came away highly inspired and highly motivated!

It was a toss up between the NVR Diesel gala, with 60074, lovely, or expoEM. I only found out about 074 attending the NVR on Friday evening but as I had planned to visit expoEM weeks ago I decided to go for the latter. There were two layouts that I had not seen in the flesh before, which was my main reason for going, and I am glad that I did as it was a very good show, in my opinion. 

On Saturday evening after visiting expoEM I decided to get a few more locos out to try and recreate a typical Toton scene, albeit on a smaller scale. Oh and with a little less traction!

Apologies for the quality but hopefully you can get the idea with my limited stock!

14220297632_56bd461b09.jpg

14036072717_47a8d20d0c.jpg

14036042450_c4c6ddf985.jpg

14222446954_4c32e00d3e.jpg

14219348371_9e0be105c0.jpg

14222446694_bf9e2ef10b.jpg

14036002688_d3369556d0.jpg

14036002658_eef78e848c.jpg

14222446374_6ee592d9d4.jpg

• Like 12

Just amazing!!!!!! :O

This will be awesome once it's finished, I've just looked back at how you've gone about all the details, and you attention to detail is outstanding!!!

Keep it going with the excellent work

Jinty ;-)

This afternoon I put Boxenby shed on board number one and then a few lengths of track on board number two. This is the first time both boards have been married up with the depot on.

14197300251_3e6daecdd6.jpg

14013978587_a9739d72b8.jpg

14013947350_0ae2d659ca.jpg

Hopefully this gives a better idea of the eventual set up.

Tomorrow I hope to put out a few more lengths of track and may be another couple of locos.

50 pages notout  (thats nearly an anagram of Toton)

....ahem.

Congratulations anyway - I have been waiting for an all up shot  - you really get the size of it all

with so much depth - next up must be the cladding? -  which will

obviously bring it to life externally.

Ian

(edit: I see the familiar brick walls and garage door rear - so familiar Alex -  but try squeezing a layout in with assorted bikes -  mowers in various states of disrepair  unwanted furniture and enough carparts to rival Halfords   :D

Edited by Crisis Rail

Thanks Dickie, I am glad that you like my line up so far. It is a great period to model with a nice variety of liveries, although I am still a few locos short....

Thanks Jinty. It has taken a while to get this far but I am pleased with progress although I would prefer it to be finished so that I can play!

Hi Ian, blimey 50 pages....thanks to everyone for their feedback and input. 

I would like to get the inspection pits finished and down before moving on to the cladding. Oh and probably get the floor down too. However it is not too far away, as you say it will completely change the look of the depot shed and hopefully bring it to life.

It is nice to finally see both boards together, at times I have struggled to grasp the scale of it!

I have to confess the garage does contain the mower, tumble dryer and various other bits after a tidy up!

Yesterday whilst going through a cupboard I found another three class 20s, result! I had obviously put them on a shelf and forgot about them. So I thought I would put them on the layout and take a few more photos. Apologies!

A general view looking across the front of the shed

14303533683_fcb72c934f.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

14096785577_d5f947c531.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

The classic Toton shot of loco front ends

14096683759_6b171abbaa.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

An elevated shot looking down on the stabling sidings

14303533413_b99771d2f1.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

• Like 7

After what has been a very busy few weeks both with work and at home, the football season having now finished, although the cricket season has just started, hopefully now that things have quietened down a little I can get back to some modelling. I am determined to get the inspection pit lights in position over the next few weeks.

Over the past few days I have been checking the positioning, measurements and spacing for the inspection pit lights. Whilst I had already worked this out, I just wanted to double check as the calculations and research were carried out some time ago. I don’t want to get this wrong!

14096683929_fe5c664e08.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Hopefully Grimley Senior can get the trolley finished this week enabling a start to be made at the weekend.

• Like 3

I agree, however, England will do what they usually do and struggle to get out of the group! In my opinion.....still lots of other games to watch whilst modelling!

Grimley Senior has finished the trolley and it is now ready for testing. I am planning to pick it up later today and hopefully carryout a test tomorrow on a spare inspection pit. 

I have taken a few photos of the trolley which will hopefully make gluing the lights to the inspection pits a lot easier, in theory!

The idea is that the trolley will sit on the two rails of the inspection pit, two of the inspection pit lights will then be placed in position on the relevant holders, glue added, then slid into place. The trolley has two holders, each one has two brackets, L and reverse L for the bottom corners of the lights to sit in, this should then allow the light to be held at the correct height ready for gluing in position. The two holders have the brackets on different sides to allow two lights diagonally opposite each other to be added in one sitting.

The holders can then move by sliding along two tubes but with springs at the end closest to the pit wall where the lights will be glued.

Hopefully once glue is added you can then slide the holder towards the pit wall, the light will be held in place by the glue, the holder is retracted leaving the light in position. Well that is the theory! I hope that makes sense.....not sure if my explanation helps or not!

I will take some photos when testing which should help.

Here are a few photos:

The trolley

14269936916_6cb562fb0c.jpg

Here you can see the two holders and the brackets on one side

14269936796_460a2e3997.jpg

The trolley sat on the inspection pit rails

14293055815_22c0b4ce42.jpg

14106420440_c63576851d.jpg

I have to say that Grimley Senior has made a superb job of the trolley, lovely modelling and engineering.

Hopefully testing later in the week.

• Like 1

Hey buddy, Loving the classic Toton shot. Don't take this the wrong way but it don't look right without the separate door beams. I know you said you didn't want it to look like it too much. I just thought I would put my opinion. But anyway apart from that it looks great either way!!