Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Thanks for posting the photo Class60lover, nice to see some 60s on shed. The triple grey one looks in a bad way.....

I will be glad to move on from working on the roof to adding the cladding to the outside of the shed! Although I need to get the inspection pits and floor sorted first.......

This afternoon with the help of Grimley Senior the longer brass strips were completed.

First of all the jig had to be adjusted to accommodate the longer brass strips:

12662997483_44514dfbd2.jpg

image by AP474, on Flickr

Then the brass wire could be soldered on to the strip. Here are a couple of photos although they don't really show much! But hopefully you get the idea....

12662996243_8ec7865d5b.jpg

12662996783_177923b895.jpg

All the skylight tops now need to be filed, small adjustments made to the shape of each individual one in order to fit a particular skylight and then they can be cleaned ready for primer and painting.

I will be pleased once they are painted and fitted......getting closer to finishing this!

• Like 1

Ive seen somewhere where you said about the cladding. Think you went for an evergreen design.

ive looked and not many places stock it although I got a few packs off ebay of the same type. Great stuff and easy to cut.

As normal ull need quite a few to go on.

Transport Models - Oyston Mill Preston Lancashire

Plenty of it in stock - its good but not cheap.

Ian

Hi Simon, many thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated. I am really hoping to have the main depot building and inside area finished by the end of the year. Well that is the plan anyway.

I need to run some trains, even if it is just being able to move a loco in and out of the shed!

Hi Class60lover, the original plan was to use Evergreen Corrugated Metal Siding, number 4528. I still think that I will use that particular cladding as it does look good. I notice that in the US they have larger sized sheets, A3 size but as yet I have not found anywhere over here that stocks them. Using the larger A3 sheets will allow less joints and give a better finish, hopefully I will be able to get my hands on a few! Might be a bit expensive, better keep quiet.......

Thanks Ian, it is always good to hear of model shops that stock Evergreen products.

This afternoon the brass strips for the roof sections above the lathe road and the through roads 1 to 4 were filed and shaped ready for primer.

Apologies in advance for yet more boring photos of the depot roof but unfortunately there is nothing else to show! No progress of real note....

Here are the brass strips on road 16

12702794795_bac6cee6c0.jpg

Roof section above roads 1 to 4

12703266334_5f0682f260.jpg

Half way there!

Once the brass strips for the other two roof sections have been filed and shaped, all of them can then be cleaned and given a coat of primer.

• Like 1

After browsing Flickr earlier today and seeing some great photos of Thornaby 37/5s, I decided to get out my 501 and 502. Here they are inside the shed, shame about the lack of floor.....still in a few months time it should hopefully look very different.

12727922125_6422655c56.jpg

12727922855_82793cc96c.jpg

I always did like the Thornaby 37/5s, especially on the Lakenby to Corby Tubeliner.

Whilst moving a few locos around a Peak made its way out too

12728392284_d8bedc8dc1.jpg

Could do with some track for it to sit on.....

• Like 6

Looking great!

Really coming together

As for the thornaby 37s,i live 5 mile away from the old depot,remember it well,walking round the yard there on a sunday in the late 80s looking at those locos.

Took a few photos.

Keep up the good work

Thanks Ben Pez. You are lucky to live close by, I really wish I had made more of an effort to venture up to Thornaby in the late 80s and early 90s. Do you have any photos that you can share with us? I would be very interested if you do.

Thanks David, slowly getting there.....

Hi Simon, I have four 37/5s and wouldn’t mind getting a few more! They used to stable over the weekend having worked down on the second Lakenby to Corby working on a Friday so I can definitely get away with having them on shed. May be not more than one pair at a time though!

Thanks, I quite liked the 58s in the background as well, need to get the floor down to improve the look of the shed. Really need a few more 58s too.

I have two Peaks and plan on 45052 and 45141. You can bet your bottom dollar that Bachmann will announce a sealed beam Peak this year!

More progress this morning, all of the skylight tops have been filed and shaped. 

12750452664_b83e46f331.jpg

Hopefully this week I can get them cleaned and with the help of some dry weather, a coat of primer added. May be get them painted next weekend as well. 

At least soon there won't be any need to post boring photos of the shed roof.....

• Like 2

Good update - sheet siding near the wheel lathe door next?

What price your 45's fetching...!??

Had the MODELZONE version as a display  -  I sold it on ebay for about £90 to finance some EWS HTA for FREIGHT ONLY - always a regret - yes about time Bachmann did a new run of them.

Ian

Hi Ian, funnily enough I do keep thinking about how the shed will look once covered in the cladding. Makes me ponder covering the shed before working on getting the pits down along with the concrete floor. 

Are you after a Peak?

Thanks Dave, sometimes I do have an eye for detail! Doesn’t happen very often though.....It does look funny not sitting on some track.....

Thanks MM, I am pleased so far with how it looks from the inside, especially when you look up at the skylights and see them. May be it has been worth the time and effort after all!

Thanks Bobster, I am glad that you enjoy my thread.

Thanks Ben, right up my street! Great photos, a lovely variety of traction on shed. Loving all the Tractors....I wonder if Bachmann will release an Original Railfreight 37/5 like 504 or 512. That would be nice.

What a cracking depot Thornaby was, I might consider a model of that one after Boxenby....stop it! Don’t be so stupid.....

Thanks for posting the photos Ben.