Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Well I think that the track plan for Boxenby is pretty much there. I have been working on this over the past few weeks, just a few tweaks may be but I am fairly happy with it. I will post a copy of how it is looking over the next couple of days to see what people think.

Hi Ian, I am indeed, some absolute crackers on his photo thread. I have enjoyed browsing through his photos.

Leicester depot would make a nice model, especially with the mainline by the side. It has a nice shed and stabling area and the grass bank would provide a good scenic back drop.

I have always fancied modelling Shirebrook depot, thought that it would make a nice layout. But then I do quite like depots. Immingham, March and Thornaby would also make nice models!

Still, I have enough to be getting on with before considering another project.......

• Like 1

Now that I am edging closer to getting the depot floor down, I have been thinking about the wheel lathe road and in particular the track around the pit area. I have been looking at it and it just doesn't look right to me, so on my way home I popped into the model shop and picked up a few bits and bobs.

Time to revisit this!

More over the coming days.

A very busy weekend so not much time for modelling and therefore not much to report.
I have made a few slight changes to the track plan and I think it is near enough there.
Yesterday evening I made a start on the revised rail support section for the wheel lathe road, I am pretty happy with it so far. It definitely looks better than the original. Hopefully I can get a bit more done on it this evening.

Whilst browsing YouTube over the weekend I came across this from a visit to Toton back in 1986. Although it is just before the period that I plan to model, here are some lovely locos on shed:

https://youtu.be/OaJw6iLIU3M

Hi Grimley,

A nice video ,

Got to love 58s, i was never lucky enough living in buckinghamshire to see to many of them,  the odd couple at Didoct was about the closest id get with out traveling.

Im sure i read they were retired before their time. such a shame.

Do love the class 31s. used to see them lots up through Berkhampstead as a kid.

Although i do like a class 66 its such a shame we have so few choice of locos, now.

Ive just been out on my lunch break and sat near Milton Keynes station.  I was lucky to see a DRS 37 pass through,  what a sound that is,.  modern traction just doesnt have the same appeal.

Looking forward to the next update

Hi Class60lover, it is a nice video. Lots of great traction on shed. I did like the 58s, especially in Original Railfreight. I need a few more!
Yes unfortunately the sound of a shed just doesn’t compare to the older traction, 20s, 31s, 37s, 45s, 47s, 56s and 58s. However, they are more reliable!
Always nice to see a 37!

Yesterday whilst in the area, I made a quick visit to see Mr Tim Horn. It is always good to see what Tim has been up to with his army of laser cutters!
The three Bs, Baseboards, Bridges and Buildings, all of which are of interest to me. Some lovely buildings!
Now that I have the track plan near enough finalised, I will be able to get the other baseboards made by Tim over the coming months. But,  what I am really looking forward to, is getting the admin and office block, which sits directly behind the depot shed, built and in position.

Tim kindly cut the final pieces for the depot concrete floor, thanks Tim, superb job as usual!

16667321009_683997c201_s.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Here is a copy of the track plan for Boxenby, any feedback would be much appreciated.

16665873498_8873abf642_s.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I have made a bit more progress on the lathe road and I am very happy with how it is looking. Unfortunately I have been quite busy so not much time for modelling. But, hopefully over the coming days I can get more work done and move this forward.

• Like 4

Today I have managed to get a bit more work done on the wheel lathe road:

16658920697_17e8671d50.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16658920857_46b53efc04.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Here you can see the support girders having been added:

16840353996_5dbef8cd61.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16840353946_5e1eba8555.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16866218105_c6a0d5f36b.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

And with a loco testing the road:

16678826640_e58ae9d980.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I do like 31s in Red Stripe Railfreight!

Hopefully I can get the rail holders and rest of the track sections finished over the weekend. I am much happier with the revised rail holder sections, it definitely looks better than the previous version. Very pleased that I made the decision to change it.

• Like 6

Good progress Alex.

Another project shelved here - a heid full o' Chocolate Frogs.....

How you don't become stale and bored and want to finish Boxenby is an absolute credit.

Garage roundy still active glad to say - finally got round to planting trees. :D just a matter of sorting the Traction.....

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, I am pleased with it so far.

Not sure which livery I prefer, Red Stripe or Original Railfreight on 31s? I remember we used to always see 31199 in Original Railfreight whenever we ventured out, it seemed to follow us everywhere!

....oh for a time machine - I went to pick up my daughter from Leeds at Preston Station yesterday and stood on the Platform 3a near the signal where we used to congregate back in the late 70's  - I don't go there too often and I know why  - sanitized and soulless.

Thats why preservation is so important to keep what we appreciated so much alive today - I know now what my Father thought back in the Beeching era.

Ian

Good progress Alex.

Another project shelved here - a heid full o' Chocolate Frogs.....

How you don't become stale and bored and want to finish Boxenby is an absolute credit.

Garage roundy still active glad to say - finally got round to planting trees. :D just a matter of sorting the Traction.....

Ian

Hi Ian, sorry to hear that. I thought your Scottish themed layout was progressing nicely?

At least you have something to run trains and keep your interest going.

To be honest, I am not sure either! There have been times, well, several occasions actually, when I have questioned my insanity towards this project and considered starting on something else. However, I soon snapped out of it!

I think it is because I am determined to see it through, almost a challenge to myself. Sad isn't it?!! But, I do want to see if I can get it to the stage where I have baseboards with track down to see how a model roughly based on Toton would actually look in 00 gauge. The thought of all those 20s, 56s and 58s scattered around the different areas of the depot does get me quite excited!

I keep watching YouTube videos and looking at Flickr for Toton, like most enthusiasts it used to be a great depot to visit.

• Like 1

....oh for a time machine - I went to pick up my daughter from Leeds at Preston Station yesterday and stood on the Platform 3a near the signal where we used to congregate back in the late 70's  - I don't go there too often and I know why  - sanitized and soulless.

Thats why preservation is so important to keep what we appreciated so much alive today - I know now what my Father thought back in the Beeching era.

Ian

I haven't been to a preserved line for a few years but as you say it is nice to see old traction working. I have the utmost respect and gratitude to all the volunteers that give up their time to keep these machines going.

I commute into Liverpool Street and seeing some of the photos on Flickr taken in the mid to late 80s really takes me back. Very different now to back then!

Here is a copy of the track plan for Boxenby, any feedback would be much appreciated.

16665873498_8873abf642_s.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I have made a bit more progress on the lathe road and I am very happy with how it is looking. Unfortunately I have been quite busy so not much time for modelling. But, hopefully over the coming days I can get more work done and move this forward.

Progress and craftsmanship is very impressive. What application did you use to create your track plan ?

Regards

Over the weekend I managed to get a bit more work done on the wheel lathe road, not as much as hoped but there we go.

16903463531_6baa0fec9a_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16904456175_60042b75a1_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

For a while I have thought that the conveyor section which takes the swarf from the lathe pit up to the main conveyor belt system, was too vertical and the angle needed adjusting. So with this in mind I took the opportunity to revisit this and make the change now before it was too late. Yesterday afternoon I made a new section:

16878572906_e3d9c662e4_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16697130177_5cdd379e3e_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

A comparison of the two, first of all the Old version:

16903463131_0ec4a092b1_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

New version:

16284448993_7a6b7eacbc_n.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

It looks much better, I am pleased that I changed it. Now to get it finished and painted.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Mr Grimley, sir. As Chris above says, very impressive workmanship. In my experience, I have very rarely regretted going back and redoing something. If I'm not happy with something, I find it tends to bug me until I do do something about it. 

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. I totally agree and feel the same. Like you if I am not happy with something it almost talks to me and keeps drawing my attention to it until the point where I have to act! But then once it has been changed I do feel a lot happier. Sad isn’t it?!!