Abbey Light Railway

AMJ

A friend mentioned he had seen a comment in Steam Railway indicating this local line is for sale.  I have not seen the comments in the mag and as there are no news items on web based mags and not found anything on NatPres either.

I realise they have had problems with the owner moving to the great loco shed.

[Minor edit.]

I've not seen any reference to it being for sale. Peter Lowe sadly passed away late last year, and the website has shown 'Services suspended' since then, presumably while Peter's family decide what to do. It'll be a shame if it does disappear - it was a lovely little line.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Sold and dismantled now. The carriages are heading to the North Ings railway, the locos to the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway. There's some confusion about the destination of the track - it's either going to Hollycombe, or a private railway in Hampshire, depending on which source you believe.

Yorkshire Evening Post article

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/miniature-leeds-railway-on-the-move-1-5425662

I had an email forwarded to me listing where different things are going.  At Middleton we were offered some of the machine tools.

So far the locomotives are to be dispersed as follows :- BgC    760   1918   Welsh Highland Heritage RailwayGB     2848  1957   Ripon & District Light RailwayL       20449  1942  Poppleton Community Railway Nursery LtdMR    5859   1934   Welsh Highland Heritage RailwayMR    8644   1941   Welsh Highland Heritage RailwayRH  198287  1940   Welsh Highland Heritage RailwayRH  235654  1946   Ripon & District Light Railway This still leaves new homes to be found for the folowing :- BgC   736    1917HE    2463   1944HU   39924  1924MH   A110   1925OK   5926    1935 The coaches are to go North Ings Farm Museum and the shed when dismantled is going to Minnford Yard

Two locos would make useful models, not sure about the grey contraption.

Sir!!! That "grey contraption" as you describe it is the finest piece of engineering ever to emerge from Burton-on-Trent. KB Scale produces an excellent 7mm scale kit.

OK, that's me told. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)  Does anyone make a 7mm model of the green engine with exposed radiator? There is a clearer picture of it here.

http://www.isengard.co.uk/images/JPEGS/ALR_MC23-2-13A.jpg

Edit: - The loco is Simplex number 3 Odin. I should have put this originally. Check the ALR website for pics of the whole stock.

A sad sight - reminds me of the weekend that I spent helping to dismantle the Cadeby Light Railway (in very similar circumstances - the track and most of the stock from Cadeby moved to another preservation site (in that case it was the Moseley Railway Trust at Apedale)).

I was lucky enough to visit the Abbey Light Railway a couple of times and remember chating with Peter Lowe and seeing the Hudson GoGo being demonstrated with much crunching of gears - I think there were problems with the gearbox.

post-8055-0-48890400-1361918483_thumb.jpg

post-8055-0-90732700-1361918506_thumb.jpg

(Peter Lowe is the chap with his back to the camera)

Andy

Edit - photos added.

and obviously it is also the end of having a loco sat outside narrow gauge north on a trailer

I spotted on the Poppleton site they are going to provide exhibits along with Ripon for NGN 2013.  Looking on that and the Ripon sites there are some people common to both.

Poppleton sounds like it could become a mini Diss, plants and trains.  SWMBO looking at/buying plants whilst we look at the railway plant.

• 2 weeks later...

En route to work this afternoon I passed the site and there are now no buildings left.  There were a few people on site that looked if they were clearing and burning sleepers.  The distinctive aroma was wafting towards the main road.

Sad to report, but when you look at preservation history there have been other locations that no longer exist and am sure there will be others in future.  (Not just NG.)

• 1 year later...

Archived