Liverpool Central Signal box

• 4 years later...

Looks like a great station to model,  At least in the days before it was swamped by 2-6-4Ts. I'm guessing B12s then B17s were on the Harwich boat trains in the 1930s.  

D11s and a couple of D16s on other trains all available RTR but the older 4-4-0s and tank engines might be a challenge.

I see from the links that platform 1 was for main line arrivals and 2 for main line departures. Presumably 3 and 4 were also paired as were 5 and 6.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly not B12s and I've never seen a photo of a B17 in Liverpool, the D16s arrived in early BR days but weren't much good and didn't last long. Before the arrival of the 2-6-4Ts most of the trains were pulled by a variety of mostly elderly 4-4-0s. Don't forget that all through GC trains had to reverse in Manchester Central which involved attaching another loco rather than running round. After electrification of the Woodhead in 1954 trains such as the Harwich boat train left Liverpool behind one 2-6-4T, changed for another at Manchester Central to run round the Fallowfield loop to Guide Bridge where an EM2 or EM1 would hook on to Sheffield. At Victoria a B1 or Britannia would take the train the rest of the way. After 1954 there was no way of steam engines from the GC in Yorkshire working to Liverpool at all as they were banned from the new tunnel. Incidentally changing to tank locos didn't avoid turning, they were almost invariably used chimney first - understandably with very fast running up to 80mph on the CLC direct line in Lancashire.

• RMweb Premium

At least one B17 made it to Liverpool Central. On the introduction of the Cravens-built articulated stock for the Liverpool-Manchester trains, a special from Manchester C to Liverpool C was run using the new stock hauled by a Gorton B17. I think it may have been 2824 Lumley Castle, but don't have the book to hand (source: R. E. Rose, LMS & LNER in Manchester). Gorton gained some diagrams over the CLC to Liverpool in late 1936 which might have brought others, possibly. Liverpool Central would still have been D6 and D9 dominated at the time though, with the C1s cropping up on some of the Hull trains.

Simon

A drawing in https://www.abebooks.co.uk/first-edition/LIVERPOOL-MANCHESTER-Part-2-Cheshire-Lines/22316289808/bd shows platforms 1 & 2 as arrivals and platforms 3 to 6 as departures, but pictures show departures from all platforms. 

Platforms 1 & 2 being the longest took services, that look too long to depart from the other platforms. And would, say, local 2/3 coach services also arrive in these long platforms then the ecs be moved to the shorter departure platforms, or was this 'arrivals/departures' not always kept to?

Archived