RMweb

'Modern' Western Region signal boxes

Not a plywood wonder but a "modern" WR box was Selly Oak (Birmingham)

See pics at http://www.photobydjnorton.com/SellyOakSignals.html

This was built when the line from Barnt Green to Church Road Jn was part of the WR, between 1950 and 1958, otherwise no doubt it would have been a Type 15.

A cousin of Kidderminster?

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikeh
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes Brian - that is the standard ground level version at Llantrisant West (didn't include the 'Level Crossing' in its title at one time) - very similar to the one at Cowbridge Road in your part of the world (well nearly), Reading High Level (which I think might have been the first in 1965 - anyone know of any earlier ones?), and Stocks Lane Crossing at Steventon (also 1965); the one which went to Porth was also more or less one of these but I've an idea it was probably put together from pieces recovered when earlier ones were removed.

".... Yes Brian - that is the standard ground level version at Llantrisant West (didn't include the 'Level Crossing' in its title at one time) - very similar to the one at Cowbridge Road in your part of the world (well nearly)......."

The delapidated structure at Llantrisant West is still in situ alongside the crossing which holds me up every time I visit my daughter !

Cowbridge Road is less than half a mile from where I am typing this, but I don't know if the box is extant ?

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

".... Yes Brian - that is the standard ground level version at Llantrisant West (didn't include the 'Level Crossing' in its title at one time) - very similar to the one at Cowbridge Road in your part of the world (well nearly)......."

The delapidated structure at Llantrisant West is still in situ alongside the crossing which holds me up every time I visit my daughter !

Cowbridge Road is less than half a mile from where I am typing this, but I don't know if the box is extant ?

Brian R

Apparently Cowbridge Road, and Aberthaw, were scheduled to close 'at the end of January 2013'.  Which makes it just over 40 years since I visited Cowbridge Road 'box - which it was then hoped could be closed within 5 years :O  

• RMweb Gold

Somewhat off post but in answer to the Stationmasters query as to the frame in Exmouth Junction box

attachicon.gifExmouth Junction 01.JPG

attachicon.gifExmouth Junction 02.JPG

I am no expert on Westinghouse frames but hopefully this will answer the question.

I'm not sure of the detail differences between an A2 and an A3 frame but I think that is the latter - some of the other 'boxes which were renewed at roughly the same time on the Salisbury- Exeter line definitely had A3 frames.  Thanks 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot tell a lie. I find these signal boxes both charmless and wholly without character!

Dave

Fair comment, Dave, but on the other hand, these boxes were 'of their time', and that time is around half a century ago now at least, so for some of us, they evoke certain memories of earlier times in our careers, memories that are not necessarily unwelcome... :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Fair comment, Dave, but on the other hand, these boxes were 'of their time', and that time is around half a century ago now at least, so for some of us, they evoke certain memories of earlier times in our careers, memories that are not necessarily unwelcome... :)

Very true Cap'n - and for some of us they were the latest, and a rather exciting, thing.  I watched several being erected from bare ground in the early 1960s and it was a smashing way to spend the school holidays as it all emerged from nothing.  And what came was a rather beautiful (in its way) contemporary structure in lovely varnished timber which was quite unlike anything which had gone before although they were of course far from being the first factory built/site assembled signalbox design to come out of Reading Drawing Office.

In my view the exterior is rather misleading because the windows are so high above the basic side but in terms of view to do the job - in part due of course to the rear mounted frame and blocks - they were an excellent job.  The other interesting thing about them - in my experience at any rate is that however hard the frame is misused and hammered none of that translates to the structure - which is far more than can be said for some earlier designs of prefabricated 'box where the whole building starts to sway if the frame is used 'rigorously'.

• Like 5

CK and Mike (Stationmaster)

Most interesting comments on these boxes -  I have no idea in terms of the practicalities of their day to day operation :)

I would be interested to see any photos on the interior of them if anyone has one please.  

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

CK and Mike (Stationmaster)

Most interesting comments on these boxes -  I have no idea in terms of the practicalities of their day to day operation :)

I would be interested to see any photos on the interior of them if anyone has one please.  

Regards,

Dave

In addition to the one of Radyr Jcn I posted on page 1 of this thread Dave I've also got one somewhere of Maidenhead pre-commissioning which I'll delve out as I go through my early '60s signal pics.

Hi,

a photograph of the inside of Whitland

post-14048-0-68061000-1360089795_thumb.jpg

and Exeter City Basin

post-14048-0-97868300-1360089854_thumb.jpg

When I went into the signalling grades I started my training in the box at Eggesford. As others have said, personal circumstances may leave you looking more favourably towards a box than its architectural merit may appear to warrant. Eggesford box was in a nice location and the signalmen very friendly. When I did go to my first proper box I think the only thing that interested the sole resident was the effect on his overtme my arrival would have! Being newer structures they would also be less prone to drafts although a boxes location would also play a large part. They also had the advantage they tended to be larger than the structures they replaced and better equipped with domestic appliances. Do not forget, signalmen in manual boxes do not get meal breaks so no chance of nipping down to the shops (not officially anyway!) and nowhere but the operating floor to stow your personal stuff. Once you came on duty that would tend to be it for the next 8 to 12 hours (the boxes on the Barnstaple branch where worked on 10 hour shifts 0300/1300 and 1300/2300). I once worked 16 hours in the box at Crediton owing to snow. In such circumstances a comfortable working enviroment wins out over architectural merit! Two photographs of the interior of Eggesford box with signalmen Jimmy Hughes and Bill Butt.

post-14048-0-35146500-1360091431_thumb.jpg

post-14048-0-84233400-1360091458_thumb.jpg

Even though I was fully aware of what Crediton box was like it was still a marked contrast to Eggesford.

post-14048-0-42677800-1360091601_thumb.jpg

out of sight in the other rear corner of the box was the armchair with a tiny flap up table, certainly no room for anything like the table at Eggesford. The box had an extension at one end which contained a sink with a reasonable sized draining board and lockers. Many boxes did not have such an extension the fittings having to be shoehorned into the available space. I have photographs of Pinhoe with the signalman sat in a chair, his armrest being the sink. At the other end of the box a tattered old armchair which it looks like you would have to kneel in to manage to use the booking desk. I suppose to summarise, we tend to look at things with the eyes of modellers and sometimes have to be reminded that signalboxes are primarily functional structures.

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 9

Thanks for posting the Whitland one - I've been past it so many times in the last 15 years or so and always wondered what it was like inside! (Couldn't tell a lot trying to peer through the window from a 158 that's stopped over the level crossing while the driver and signalman have a good chinwag as part of the token exchange)!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

When I went into the signalling grades I started my training in the box at Eggesford. .... Two photographs of the interior of Eggesford box......

Hi Dave - thanks for those photos. I got very confused by the first one of the frame given Mike (Stationmaster)'s comment about the frame being at the back - I thought the frame was at the front in this case, then realised there's more windows at the back...  :scratchhead: 

• 2 years later...

Rose Heyworth Signalbox opened in 1960 and closed in October 1964.It then was used as a rather posh shunters cabin until March 1984.The structure was dismantled by a private buyer(I Think) in 1986.The internal stairway was made of good quality timber and the upper floor was polished right up until closure in 1984.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but here goes..... does anyone know where I can find pictures/drawings for  GWR Austerity Signal boxes... ie  Bathampton?

I don't know about drawings but it definitely wasn't to the wartime 'austerity' design but was one of the rare WR brick built post nationalisation 'boxes (like Kidderminster).

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but here goes..... does anyone know where I can find pictures/drawings for  GWR Austerity Signal boxes... ie  Bathampton?

This kind of thing?

10421094625_cd9c30a2c9_z.jpgFEB 73 17. Swansea Loop West signal box, 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10421098716_8b5a914b0c_z.jpgFEB 73 16. Interior of Swansea Loop West Signal Box interior by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

This is Swansea Loop West photographed by me in 1973 shortly before its abolition. The kind-hearted signalman called me over from the lineside and invited me to inspect the interior

Bathampton was, I think, similar to Flax Bourton - rather handsome in my opinion.

10420598676_8ec0ff0e1d_z.jpgDEC 71 07. Flax Bourton Signal Box, November 1971 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3