BWT Sound Equipped from Kernow

autocoach

I have just ordered the Kernow/Dapol BWT sound and DCC equipped with a Loksound V4 from Kernow. Bit pricy but I was never going to get around to it myself. That speaker must be awful tiny. Wonder if they stuffed it in the litle bunker and created an opening into the cab. Decoders have in the earlier BWTs gone in the smokebox with a neat magnetic smokebox door.

Mind you I would have preferred a 3329/30586 body as that engine was often used on the Padstow goods and mixed trains. I may do some body shell swapping and then have to re-program the long address.

It should be here on the Pacific rim of fire in a few days. According to Kernow they teamed up with Olivia's Trains who supplied (fitted?) a few leftover 3314/30587 BWT's with sound decoders.

Anyone have any Idea what it takes to set one of these up? Would the programming already be done including the long address (in my case 3314?)

This is my first excursion into steam sounds. Will rouse the neighborhood with the peanut whistle at midnight.....And if we could add a tiny Keep Alive to handle Peco frogs......

PS. Andy, I think this is the proper forum topic as the sound is a Kernow/Olivia's aftermarket retrofit rather than a Dapol factory fitted option.

I wonder where they put the decoder. The Loksound v4 is pretty big. I doubt it would fit in the boiler without modification.

Looks like the BR ones have all gone as they have disappeared from the Kernow website with or without sound. The 3314 (with sound) is on 14 days delivery so I suspect their being fitted to order.

The BWT is on the Olivia's DCC Chip & Sound webpage so it looks like the sound decoder(and maybe file upgrade) is available separately for those brave enough to tackle fitting it themselves.

Ray.

I wonder where they put the decoder. The Loksound v4 is pretty big. I doubt it would fit in the boiler without modification.

Looks like the BR ones have all gone as they have disappeared from the Kernow website with or without sound. The 3314 (with sound) is on 14 days delivery so I suspect their being fitted to order.

The BWT is on the Olivia's DCC Chip & Sound webpage so it looks like the sound decoder(and maybe file upgrade) is available separately for those brave enough to tackle fitting it themselves.

Ray.

As a pre-BR modeller 3314 was fine.

Maybe they put the decoder in the cab? Hope not. I hope I shall soon see.

Kernow indicated my order was packed and shipped and my card was charged. I ordered as soon as I saw the item so maybe I got one they had set up already.

• 3 weeks later...

20 minutes later the little beastie Beattie was up and running. I do have one reservation...the speaker is glued to the back of the cab and quite visible even though painted black. I guess I could put a driver and fireman standing in front of it to cover it a bit. There were no creative solutions like recessing it into the coal bunker. I am still pleased however as this is the first steam sound experiment for me and it works.

It will take a little bit getting used to as there appears to be a momentum setting that I will need to fix. This is my first experience with LokSound decoders. It is a V4 according to their information.

I use an NCE Pro Cab throttle (hammerhead) with an SB3a and still need to find F13-F16 on the keypad.

Also need to find out how to adjust the volume. It could use just a little bit more.

The problems with sticking (stuttering now) on old Peco insulfrogs will be with me until I build the new version of Padstow. If only they could have crammed a short keep alive in as well.

Now onto sound for the N's, T9's, the stray LBSC C masquerading as a Black Motor, and the Spam Cans.....I can hear the great cacophony now....

• 4 weeks later...

Not a u tube chance. Sound ok except for whistle which is not loud enough. My first foray into steam sound so not much to judge against. Sound does work well in that you get the proper sequence when stopping and reversing automatically. Rod clank automatic too.I have not tried to modify any variables yet. There is a large Loksound PDF to wade through before starting. It looks like the whistle sound is already at max according to the list of default settings.

The speaker is glued to the back of the cab in front of the bunker. Changing anything there looks like a problem.

Any suggestions on a driver and fireman to cover up the speaker a bit are welcome.

I asked Kernow if there were any plans for a sound version of the O2 but there reply indicated they had not thought about it ye

Any suggestions on a driver and fireman to cover up the speaker a bit are welcome.

Hi Ken.

Pete Goss of 'Rowlands Castle' fame does a nice range of 'period' white metal figures

www.petegossrailwaymodelling.co.uk/f695494271

Have a look at PD9 and PD11. You need to be handy with a paint brush though. I think he also offers a painting service as well.

Ray.

Archived