Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

The cinema looks great Neal a splendid week ends work

Super work, Neal. I know full well what  PITA cutting frames from paper can be.

May I ask a favour?

Please will you let me cut and paste the lorry in the Goods Yard photograph and put it up as a 'What model is this?' thread?

Doug

Doug I am pretty certain that Lorry is from Peco

• RMweb Gold

Doug - Yes of course, or I can photograph them for you tonight and post if you would rather. Maybe seen outside The Regal! Mike - Oh no, what cafe / restaurant?

Ah, that's the trouble with not being able to go back into history isn't it ;)  The upstairs are immediately behind those tall windows was at one time a cafe/restaurant but it was closed back in the 1950s and never re-opened as such (I think it was used for storage for the rest of the building's life although part might have become offices?).

Incidentally as far as posters etc were concerned there was a large board at the top of the entrance steps on each side - one usually being the currecnt film and the other being the next one 'coming shortly' (usually the films changed halfway through the week plus there was a saturday morning show for youngsters - distinctly wild!  The ticket kiosk was immediately inside the front doors - set back from them a bit of course - but placed centrally with a superbly 1930s 'Odeon' style (the cinema having originally been an Odeon in any case of course) and all the interior decor was 1930s Odeon style although after they sold it and it became independent the colours changed but the moulded plaster etc remained.

Also the  extended canopy out over the steps at the front was  - again - very 1930s Odeon school of design

• RMweb Premium
Ah, that's the trouble with not being able to go back into history isn't it ;)  The upstairs are immediately behind those tall windows was at one time a cafe/restaurant but it was closed back in the 1950s and never re-opened as such (I think it was used for storage for the rest of the building's life although part might have become offices?).

Incidentally as far as posters etc were concerned there was a large board at the top of the entrance steps on each side - one usually being the currecnt film and the other being the next one 'coming shortly' (usually the films changed halfway through the week plus there was a saturday morning show for youngsters - distinctly wild!  The ticket kiosk was immediately inside the front doors - set back from them a bit of course - but placed centrally with a superbly 1930s 'Odeon' style (the cinema having originally been an Odeon in any case of course) and all the interior decor was 1930s Odeon style although after they sold it and it became independent the colours changed but the moulded plaster etc remained.

Also the  extended canopy out over the steps at the front was  - again - very 1930s Odeon school of design

Thanks very much for the extra info Mike. I wrongly assumed that the foyer ran right up to the top floor, which some County Cinemas were. ( County being taken over by Odeon during the 40's). I have modelled a pay box, but copied the stairs ala Regal Abingdon, which was also a County cinema. Regarding the canopy, I have made the larger one and that was in last nights photo, but I think it is too big.

I tried the Cinema out in my townscape this evening and its huge! I need to re-think my town plan... More head scratching then.... Watch this space.

• RMweb Premium

It's been a couple of weeks since I commented on the High Street in Wharncliffe, it looks as if today, the builders are clearing their work enough to comment on the building works to date. 

The Regal is now complete! so much so that tonight the inaugural film is playing..... 

post-6981-0-23422500-1360523036_thumb.jpg

Tonight's film is "Swing Time" starring Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers, from Wednesday the Regal will be playing a new Western film, starring John Wayne. Not sure he will really make it in the film business. Tonight, we are also pleased to see Wilfred Southwell playing the Compton Organ..... or so the story goes.... I see the local Thames Valley bus company have put a stop outside the Cinema and that must be the Cinema Managers Austin parked outside!

Note: Since starting the building of the Cinema, a few other details have come to light:

The Regal was designed by Arthur F Hunt, who also designed The Globe in Chertsey. The Regal in Henley, opened in 1937 and was demolished in 1986, having closed on May 30th 1985. When it opened it was operated by County Cinemas, who were taken over by the Odeon in 1939 and re-named Odeon in 1945. It became an Independent as early as 1960, having been sold by Odeon. In it's latter days it was owned by the same people as owned the Real in Marlow, who having sold that, said they would put all their efforts into operating the Regal Henley. Then promptly sold it to Waitrose! The Cinema Theatre Trust* supported a "Save the Regal" campaign in 1986 and locally there was a "Save the Regal Trust" run by Tony Lane in Henley. The building had been refused listed building consent as it was deemed not to be architecturally of merit. (*Source CTA Picture House magazine Winter 1986)

The Cinema replaced the New Palace Theatre, which closed on August 8th 1935:

This screen shot from the archives of the Henley Gazette was photographed from the microfiche a few years ago. Apologies for the poor quality.

post-6981-0-92555500-1360524105.jpg

Back to Wharncliffe:

The High Street has come along nicely, courtesy of the Scalescenes range of kits. (Usual disclaimer... Happy customer... Very happy !!)

post-6981-0-09259700-1360524493_thumb.jpg

This is not the final configuration of shops etc. The buildings are merely arranged to give an idea of progress to date....

After The Regal, we have "Palmeira Stores" (Named after one Palmeira Teddy Bear! - also where I first lived when I moved to Hove... Palmeira Square... ); followed by Sidney Flavell & co, obviously awaiting delivery of their renowned cookers; after which is "Polly's pantry" the local Tea shop. Polly is again waiting for her new tables by the looks of it!

At the end of the parade of shops, we have the new Wharncliffe depot of the Thames Valley bus co:

post-6981-0-99763600-1360525391_thumb.jpg

Seen with the local TD1 in depot, together with a Bristol L6B coach. Once installed on wharncliffe High St, the bus garage will be just off the main road.

post-6981-0-95990800-1360525726_thumb.jpg

All the buildings have lights in them, however in reviewing these 'photos through Photoshop, I think the Cinema Foyer needs another light.... and obviously people, but all the High Street needs people, together with some horse drawn wagons etc.

post-6981-0-79143200-1360525814_thumb.jpg

Incidentally Wilfred Southworth was an organist during the 1930's. I got his details from a 'photo in another CTA magazine, where he was playing the Mighty Compton at the Regal Cambridge, where they also had Swing Time playing. the 'photo is dated 1937, although the film was released in 1936. In those days of course it would take an age for a film to get around the circuit.

post-6981-0-18274600-1360526366_thumb.jpg

A final look at Wharncliffe High street for tonight...

post-6981-0-73858700-1360527121_thumb.jpg

I hope you enjoy this update of Wharncliffe High Street. The next update will see them on the street....

• RMweb Premium

Spiffing! I particularly like the 'evening' shot. I expect you will be putting railings at each end of the steps to prevent accidents?

Doug

Yes! the architect left site without completing The railings! - No doubt the next few weeks will see him come back to do the snagging....

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Neal.  I don't know if the Henley Regal/Odeon originally had an organ but by the early 1950s it definitely didn't have one.  The organ which was there in later years was installed in the building in the early 1970s

http://www.henleyorgantrust.org.uk/

Thanks Mike. 

I knew the organ originally came from Tunbridge Wells, but I can not see if there was originally one at the Regal. The Compton was bought by the Henley Organ Trust in 1971 and used for monthly concerts. I would be surprised if at that time, it was installed and put into a site that previously did not have an Organ. It now resides in Lincolnshire: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/burteyfen/burteyfen/Compton_1.htm

• 3 weeks later...

grrr - Henley-On -Thames is not in Berkshire!!!!!  (It is in Oxfordshire - the opposite side of the river is in Berkshire).

Rant over - hat & coat collected.

Haha that reminds me of my youth and peoples perceptions of 'areas'.

I grew up in a South Birmingham Subhurb of Hollywood (yes really). Just down the road (2 minute walk) the telephone code changed from 0121 (B'ham) to 01564 (Wythall).. so everyone assumed they lived in Wythall and addressed as such...

Problem was between them and Wythall was 'drakes cross' - Wythall didn't start for another Mile and wasn't even connected!!

anyway back on topic

Nice layout!!! :-D

Yes! the architect left site without completing The railings! - No doubt the next few weeks will see him come back to do the snagging....

In days of yor, there wasn't a compensation culture and so no rails were provided!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all anyone know which station prototype ratio took the design of thier oo goods shed from?

Sorry No! Although it is common across so many GWR stations.

Haha that reminds me of my youth and peoples perceptions of 'areas'.

I grew up in a South Birmingham Subhurb of Hollywood (yes really). Just down the road (2 minute walk) the telephone code changed from 0121 (B'ham) to 01564 (Wythall).. so everyone assumed they lived in Wythall and addressed as such...

Problem was between them and Wythall was 'drakes cross' - Wythall didn't start for another Mile and wasn't even connected!!

anyway back on topic

Nice layout!!! :-D

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Update to the 'photos above.... The town area is coming along nicely, last weekend saw the town yard / depot built for C & G Ayres. A bit more work needs to be done before that is complete.

The roads are down, pavements are down, Town Park laid... (although it needs a fence and maybe a WW1 memorial, or statue ).... 'photos to follow at the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Progress continues on the Town area of the railway, to such an extent that I hope to have this all completed today (Sunday 3rd).... We will see!

As a taster, this is the last building to be started and is the third scratch-built building on the layout. This will house the Newsagent and D & DH Waddington the local auction house / estate agent (name taken from a Kellys directory). In fact all the names used on the railway have been taken from Kellys Directory for 1936. (Sorry though, I can not remember which directory area)......

post-6981-0-19074300-1362300873_thumb.jpg

This is the final building in the street scene, followed by an area of scrub land and the edge of town pub. Which is a Hornby Scaledale Wheatsheaf Arms, which just like the Waggon and Hornes aka Wharncliffe Arms needs renaming..... 

A couple of hours later, it looks like this:

post-6981-0-00118800-1362341787_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looking beyond the Newsagent, towards the current Wheatsheaf public house....

post-6981-0-36988600-1362343770_thumb.jpg

The scrub area between the newsagents and the pub, will soon be occupied by an advertisement hoarding. 

Seen into context with the Regal now in it's final place in Market Square.

post-6981-0-26751300-1362344693_thumb.jpg

The wall advertisement for the Auction house was printed onto the brickpaper, through Photoshop, by using layers, to retain some of the brick-work beneath.  Seeing this 'photo, reminds me I still need to do the stair rails outside the Regal.

post-6981-0-79217900-1362345938_thumb.jpg

The Building on the right is the Wharncliffe depot of C & G Ayres. I needed a building to occupy an odd triangle of land, so decided it would be easier for a small office and depot.

As night falls, the lights turn on....

post-6981-0-53451800-1362346469_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After so much work over recent weeks on the town, last week I ballasted the platform area, today I have been working on Platform 1.

Its not a particularly sharp 'photo, but shows the installation of some DCC Swan neck lamps. Both platforms now have working lamps. I have also laid a 12v DC bus to power the lights. Although adding the town lights into the circuit overloads it!

The 12v is using a Gaugemaster D which has 1amp - seems strange that so few lamps would overload it.

I will add some better 'photos tomorrow.

post-6981-0-60721800-1363467214_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is becoming a very atmospheric layout, Neal.  Reminds me of the days when I used to meet up with the girls at the Wimpy Bar on the Uxbridge Road on a Sunday evening just as it was getting dark.

I do like your use of the Hornby Wheatsheaf.  I fancy getting one and converting it into Tea Rooms like the one in Llangollen below.  They give you a tea strainer with you pot of tea - proper tea leaves!    They do nice scones and cakes, too. :yes:

cottage-tea-rooms.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/e7/d6/b5/cottage-tea-rooms.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is becoming a very atmospheric layout, Neal. Reminds me of the days when I used to meet up with the girls at the Wimpy Bar on the Uxbridge Road on a Sunday evening just as it was getting dark.

I do like your use of the Hornby Wheatsheaf. I fancy getting one and converting it into Tea Rooms like the one in Llangollen below. They give you a tea strainer with you pot of tea - proper tea leaves! They do nice scones and cakes, too. :yes:

cottage-tea-rooms.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/e7/d6/b5/cottage-tea-rooms.jpg

Thank you Polly! The story about the tea strainer sounds very civilised!

With regard to the atmosphere, I am glad it comes across, I guess it's all to do with how we imagine the 30's to be.

• RMweb Premium

Busy scene at Wharncliffe Junction this afternoon.

GWR 2-8-0 No. 2812 passes through Wharncliffe with the 17:25 mineral train en-ruote to Southall, passing Hall class 4-6-0 No. 4972 Saint Brides Hall at the head of a Swindon bound service.

post-6981-0-99157000-1363549513_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, now sitting in front of Photoshop, I can see two wonky lamps!

• RMweb Premium

Saint Brides Hall is waiting patiently, whilst the Southall bound goods passes, Wharncliffe Junction during a busy afternoon.

post-6981-0-07964700-1363551423_thumb.jpg

'photo taken at 1.3sec 1/40th 800 ISO 

Saint Brides Hall passing over the Viaduct with the canal and Wharncliffe Arms below.

post-6981-0-11866600-1363553616_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-62619400-1363553624_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Busy afternoon at Wharncliffe Junction. 

post-6981-0-82350200-1363554446_thumb.jpg

The goods stock is a mix of R-T-R (Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann) and kit built wagons from; Ratio; Parkside Dundas; Cooper Craft, plus the Ian Kirk full brake.

post-6981-0-61263200-1363554812_thumb.jpg

2812 on the Viaduct with it's goods train:

post-6981-0-06189700-1363554821_thumb.jpg

The final 'photo from today, shows a Bachmann Collett carriage on the viaduct, fitted with LED lamps (incl Flicker Free); complete with passengers. This is part of a project, which will eventually see all of these carriages similarly treated.

post-6981-0-26045700-1363555009_thumb.jpg

The 'photos in today's session were taken with my Pentax DSLR, set up on a tripod, using the Fluorescent lights in the Railway room. The camera was set on a Manual exposure, of around 1 second, at @f22*, ISO 800. (Some shots were at f16; adjusted as needed.)

• RMweb Premium

Pretty

Nice stuff Neal.  Which model of Pentax DSLR are using as you seem to be avoiding the K10D problem with deep contrast?

Thanks Mike. Pretty sure its the K5 or K7, which I have had for a couple of years. I've been a Pentax user since the mid-70's

I've adjusted a bit in photoshop, mainly for colour balance etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something different at Wharncliffe Junc this evening. 'photos taken on my small hand held Lumix:

After being on eBay recently, I have been successful with a few items, initially a K's Toad brake van (AA3 I understand - 16ton(?)) then a 57xx.

post-6981-0-01905700-1365535068_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the 57xx has been damaged in the post and on of the wheels has been severely damaged..... But it looks ok from this side!

post-6981-0-69301300-1365535111_thumb.jpg

I'm very pleased (to be honest with both), but love my new little Toad. I have added the transfers, with just the weight and numbers to add:

post-6981-0-83300200-1365535065_thumb.jpg

The damage to the 57xx:

post-6981-0-92870100-1365535349_thumb.jpg

Its disappointing, but I guess one of those things with the post these days.... I need to replace the wheels, which are not Romford, but are pushed onto the axle - any ideas? - Will the right size (18mm) Romfords work? Thanks. 

Archived