Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Kirk also done the Giant van an outside framed Monster with corridor connections, I still see most of his kits at sales but be careful if you do buy from that source part could be missing. 

81C

Not seen the outside framed Monster before in the range: http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/images/MC05.jpg     £11 + Delivery

Thanks Bob

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's all been a bit quiet at Wharncliffe this Summer..... or at least since the last posts in June, I have hardly been into the Model railway room.

I have managed to buy more trees, some of which were planted, others are still in their box. All came courtesy of the closing down sale at ModelZone.

Whilst I have missed the model railway, I have spent quite a bit of time at the Bluebell, plus two visits to Swanage and today have just got back from Spain after a two week holiday. Add in time away with work and the months soon fly by.

I have dipped into RMWeb occasionally and now need to get back up to speed with everything. Hopefully that will see me out in the railway room very soon, when updates will start to flow.

Regards, Neal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today has seen my first visit to the railway room for ages. It started with a bit of a tidy up and ended with a few trains being run.

Here we see a 57xx crossing the Wharncliffe viaduct with a local pick-up goods service. All the wagons behind the Bachmann loco are kit built.

I hope to post some more regular updates now!

post-6981-0-22395200-1382895493_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-35088000-1382895501_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-55251200-1382895506_thumb.jpg

Recent changes have seen more trees planted - courtesy of the closure of ModelZone, together with a fence on the field to the left of the canal. At the same time, the flock of sheep has expanded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After some gardening this afternoon, I popped into the railway room and recorded GWR hall class loco, No. 4982 Acton Hall running tender first on a Southall bound loaded coal train. This was a late running service after the 28xx failed. Seen here passing 2-6-2T No 6102 on service departing Wharncliffe Junction.

post-6981-0-38736000-1384104498_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

With all this talk of "Design Clever" - Or not so clever depending on your point of view..... As I was standing in the railway room, I wondered, will we ever see the likes of a Blue Pullman produced again? Surely this is nonsense, that I was happy to pay @£300 for the unit, yet Hornby think it is ok to give us moulded detail again! - Err NO!

The BP I reckon / hope was a successful model and I would have thought would be an indicator about where the hobby can go next... further super detailing / further obscure models.... at a price.... which I would have thought people will pay(?)

Anyway, enough of my nonsense, here is the BP going over Wharncliffe viaduct.

post-6981-0-16015500-1384105015_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Wow Neal.How does that fit in with your kit built centenary diner coach then or does rule 1 apply here.Very nice.I wonder how well they sold and were they a success for Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

Wow Neal.How does that fit in with your kit built centenary diner coach then or does rule 1 apply here.Very nice.I wonder how well they sold and were they a success for Bachmann.

Hi Robin,

Yes I also hope they were a success for Bachmann and they hold their nerve and produce more models of the same quality.

As for the Centenary project... like all the railway projects - slow!

This weekend, as well as some running both Sat and Sun, I have renumbered a 28xx and a Hall, plus taken the G W R transfers off a 45xx ready to repaint into GWR roundel. The Centenary is still at the side of the work bench... I have toyed with the idea of getting someone to finish it for me! - Expensive, but bound to be quicker!!

Regards,

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

This afternoons activity at Wharncliffe saw a GWR Star class loco running through, it must have been on a turn fresh out of Swindon Works.... it was very clean!

post-6981-0-89938100-1387133348_thumb.jpg

The new Hornby Star passing a Hornby GWR Castle class loco still numbered 5011 Tintagel Castle. The star has since received a load of replacement coal as well as crew. The DCC lamps are on order, these will be fitted in due course to the Star and both Castles.

post-6981-0-71452600-1387133462_thumb.jpg

GWR Power at Wharncliffe Junction, with hearest to the Camera GWR King class loco, with a GWR Acton Hall in Platform 3. Tintagel Castle in Platform 2 and Star class loco in Platform 1

post-6981-0-20476700-1387133488_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal, some lovely scenes here. So very Great Western. The Star fits very well into the picture here, I think.

This one is my favourite yet, though. I am never quite sure about black and white but here it is all just right. Great stuff!

post-6981-0-07304400-1370194912_thumb.jp

Edit: I even missed the unfinished platform end :-)

• RMweb Premium

How about putting 5011's tender on the Star Neal so I can see what it looks like when Hornby do it. ;)

Yes Robin, I was thinking about doing some tender swaps. Will see if I can do it this week.

Hi Neal, some lovely scenes here. So very Great Western. The Star fits very well into the picture here, I think.

This one is my favourite yet, though. I am never quite sure about black and white but here it is all just right. Great stuff!

Edit: I even missed the unfinished platform end :-)

Thanks Mikkel, Yes I need to fix the Platform end, particularly as there are now some train spotters at the end!

superb modelling here neal, the star certainly looks at home, look forward to seeing more :)

all the best

Matt

Thanks Matt, will hopefully be adding more shots soon.

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we have a Tender tale!

post-6981-0-68539400-1387221062_thumb.jpg

On the day that Hornby have announced they will release Caerphilly Castle in it's preserved form with small tender, Wharncliffe Junction has been seeing some tender swaps!

post-6981-0-04243400-1387221125_thumb.jpg

I must admit to liking the Castle with a smaller tender.... I already have two Castles, shall I pre-order Caerphilly? ..... Yes I think so!

• RMweb Premium

The small tender was "borrowed" from 28xx 2803,

post-6981-0-53320000-1387221294_thumb.jpg

which doesn't look the same with the larger Collet tender....

post-6981-0-98275500-1387221301_thumb.jpg

Not sure that was ever done by the GWR... But I stand to be corrected. I immediately thought about the ROD 2-8-0 which had larger tenders, although not Collet(?) - I stand to be corrected, that is from memory, not from scouring my library!

Plus of course a 28xx would not warrant a fully lined out tender!

• RMweb Premium

This tender swapping all came about because Robin made a suggestion last night and having finished work early tonight, I have an hour free, before writing my Christmas cards!

How about putting 5011's tender on the Star Neal so I can see what it looks like when Hornby do it. ;)

So here is the original, which I think looks rather elegant. I have the one, I thoroughly enjoyed using it yesterday and now think I might need a second.... are any left on the shelves?

post-6981-0-72431400-1387221876_thumb.jpg

Then with the tender swap.... (I'm not sure what the loco crews thought was going on! - Look at Bert on the Star, shovelling coal from the tender and all of a sudden Harry (driver), has lost him. I feel sure Harry will be up in front of the district superintendent for all of this!)

post-6981-0-13502900-1387221983_thumb.jpg

Now I realise it might not be a fair comparison as the livery is slightly different, But! - I think it has lost it's character.....

• RMweb Premium

Horror alert!

Those of a sensitive disposition, look away now!

I promise I had only had a cup of tea when I got home!!!! BUT......

post-6981-0-73971100-1387222434_thumb.jpg

The mighty King class loco, most powerful loco on the Great Western, fine, majestic and sadly still not updated by Hornby for 2014!

But what would it look like......

post-6981-0-28180800-1387222441_thumb.jpg

If it too had the smaller tender - well a bit feeble if you ask me! - Can you imagine turning up at Platform 1 for the 10:30 Ltd to see a King with a small tender! - No I think not as well 

• RMweb Premium

As a finale to tonights Tender tales:

post-6981-0-40893700-1387222681_thumb.jpg

The extras for this evenings show!!!! - l to r Castle; Star; 28xx

Back on shed later that evening, the loco crews were trying to come to terms with all these swaps....

post-6981-0-97661800-1387222960_thumb.jpg

front to back - Star; 28xx; Castle and in all the confusion the 28xx front bogie has slipped off the rail.

Thanks, Neal. Interesting to see the variation in the shades of green and the detail of the lining. The green of the Castle and 4000 gal tender gets my vote, whilst the lining I'm not sure about, on detail the Star wins I think but the orange seems a bit pale (although darker on the boiler than rest)? I suppose a bit of weathering would help mask differences for those tender swapping if one's bothered??

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon saw a local trip working - vacuum fitted obviously, as there is no Toad.

57xx 0-6-0PT No. 5775 is seen with a Bachmann shunters truck and an assortment of Cattle Wagon / Horse Box / Beetle and a Mogo (all kit-built), coming across Wharncliffe viaduct.

post-6981-0-45049700-1387659171_thumb.jpg

Whilst the camera was in the Model Railway room, I lined up the Bachmann and Hornby shunters trucks... I reckon they are almost the same. It's a case of you pays your money and takes your choice!

post-6981-0-21385800-1387659250_thumb.jpg

Bachmann on the left

• RMweb Premium

I also lined up another comparison.... 

This years Bachmann members club wagon, compared to my only other tank wagon. First the price!

post-6981-0-67252300-1387659420.jpg

Hodgson models were the local model shop to us when I was a kid. They were in Whitten and have long since gone - but what a bargain - £1.50 (in today's money!) - Presumably it was a lot of money in 198x !

post-6981-0-78162400-1387659530_thumb.jpg

The new Bachmann model is on the left.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's too big to load directly onto here, but I have just put up a video on Youtube - its hand-held, so apologies that it's shaky. 

It shows my first recordings of the new sound chip in my Castle class loco!

Hope you enjoy

Archived