Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

Hi Neal,

I too enjoy messing around with tenders on my WR locos! The shade of livery is a minor annoyance for me though when they don't match. It's difficult to tell from your photo, but are the 28xx and Star tenders that you show exactly the same moulding from Hornby, with the same level of detail? Also, I wonder how it compares with the Bachmann Churchward 3500 gal tenders which I have a fair few of.

Ps when I was last at the Llangollen railway in early 2012, their 38xx was running with a large Collett 4000 gal tender. Seeing the loco from above on the bridge, I mistook it completely for a Hall until I noticed the extra pair of drivers! I don't think the larger tender suited if I'm completely honest.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal, merry christmas to you too. Very nice video, I am beginning to see the benefits of sound.

Thanks Mikkel, I am trying to justify another sound loco... maybe one of my 28xx ... but at @£120 it might have to wait a while... there might be some new locos on the horizon!

Hi Neal,

I too enjoy messing around with tenders on my WR locos! The shade of livery is a minor annoyance for me though when they don't match. It's difficult to tell from your photo, but are the 28xx and Star tenders that you show exactly the same moulding from Hornby, with the same level of detail? Also, I wonder how it compares with the Bachmann Churchward 3500 gal tenders which I have a fair few of.

Thanks for the comments Adrock. The only way to get round the livery variations is to repaint completely, which I have down on the tender of one of the Bachmann Halls in an effort to have a GWR Roundel loco. The new Green strangely is a good match for the Bachmann colour, but their boiler bands are just so big!

When comparing the 28xx and Star tenders, they almost looked like different mouldings, which would seem strange when Hornby are trying to reduce costs. I thought the Star version rivets were very pronounced. Again it's odd that the colours from the same company do not (quite) match. Maybe the 28xx and Star were produced in different factories!

• RMweb Premium

Within a couple of days....... isn't the new GWR Dukedog due on these shores?

Those of you following this thread will easily see I am not a 100% rivet counter.... my aim is to have a GWR Roundel shewn on the tender, rather than G W R.

It might not be strictly correct, but I am trying to get everything either 1920's livery or the correct 1920's..... Now a Blue Pullman in GWR Colours....... hmm :-)

The Dukedogs certainly are due in soon, mine's on order and I was told they were in a container arriving at UK docks around the 14th December so if all went to plan, they would be with retailers early January.

Another nice looking tender model with the Dukedog - if only you could buy tenders on their own, I would like one for my Collett Goods!

• RMweb Premium

The Dukedogs certainly are due in soon, mine's on order and I was told they were in a container arriving at UK docks around the 14th December so if all went to plan, they would be with retailers early January.

Another nice looking tender model with the Dukedog - if only you could buy tenders on their own, I would like one for my Collett Goods!

Ideally we could get a re-vamped Dean Goods to modern standards, although I am still holding out for some stoplights soon!

• RMweb Premium

A cracking video Neal and I like all those tender swaps too.  They make you appreciate the size and shape of these things.

I saw the Dukedog in the display case at Barrowhill.  Really nice.

So a photo of it to wish you and Wharncliffe Junction a Happy New Year.

post-14049-0-58351800-1388521466.jpg

Polly

Wow Polly that Dukedog does look fantastic in your picture, I too am looking forward to getting my hands on this model!

Neal, I agree that a Dean Goods would be very nice. Although personally speaking, I would prefer a new Manor first (especially as they could use the tender from the Dukedog). The current Manor body isn't even that bad - I would be happy with just an upgraded loco chassis! Mine runs horrendously since being converted to DCC; it previously ran sweetly on analogue.

• RMweb Premium

........ Mine runs horrendously since being converted to DCC; it previously ran sweetly on analogue.

Have you tried changing the decoder? In the last few years, I have had two duff ones, that did not respond correctly. Try changing it and you should be fine.

Needless to say, the decoders I had issues with are the cheaper ones.

• RMweb Premium

Wow Polly that Dukedog does look fantastic in your picture, I too am looking forward to getting my hands on this model!

Neal, I agree that a Dean Goods would be very nice. Although personally speaking, I would prefer a new Manor first (especially as they could use the tender from the Dukedog). The current Manor body isn't even that bad - I would be happy with just an upgraded loco chassis! Mine runs horrendously since being converted to DCC; it previously ran sweetly on analogue.

Great looking little machine, I think. I'm getting sorely tempted just don't tell the Boss.  :D 

Polly

Have you tried changing the decoder? In the last few years, I have had two duff ones, that did not respond correctly. Try changing it and you should be fine.

Needless to say, the decoders I had issues with are the cheaper ones.

I haven't actually - what's more annoying is that I paid for this one to be done "professionally" due to the split chassis. I may look at changing the decoder then, it currently has the Hornby one in it. Either that, or I build a loco chassis as a replacement (expensive); or wait until Bachmann revise theirs (preferred!)

• RMweb Premium

No reply from Hornby or Bachmann today about my queries:

Hornby:

1. Correct bogie wheels for the Star.

2. Tool for getting electrical plugs out.

Bachmann:

1. Top feed for the 64xx and other Panniers - an option for none please!

2. What identity the new DCC sound Pannier is going to take and when it will arrive.

Will let everyone know when I get replies!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby:

Bachmann:

2. What identity the new DCC sound Pannier is going to take and when it will arrive.

I would have thought that both of those companies are still on holiday.Back on Monday 6th perhaps.I've put a link on the Dukedog thread to the extractor tool.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby:

Bachmann:

I would have thought that both of those companies are still on holiday.Back on Monday 6th perhaps.I've put a link on the Dukedog thread to the extractor tool.

Ah! - Had a reply from Hornby today with an apology that it took a while. My new Star bogie wheels are on their way! - But I have to buy the extractor tool - Oh well, can't have everything!!

I'm pretty sure I asked about Toplights as well... No answer on that one!!!

Hopefully Bachmann will reply on Monday!

• RMweb Premium

Interlopers at Wharncliffe Junc - as a diversion from the 1930's atmosphere!

I have splashed out today on the new AC Railcar unit from Heljan, which needed a 21 pin decoder. (Why 21 ? - it would have been just as easy to add an 8 or an N gauge 6 pin - what extra functions come with a 21 pin decoder?)

It is seen here in Platform 3 at Wharncliffe Junction (the bay platform for the branch line to Bulls Bridge). Sadly, there appears to be no passengers, which of course was very prototypical of these railcars!! Seriously though, the 'photos high-light the need to add some passengers and a driver. Maybe even some new destination blinds to replace Kemble.

• RMweb Premium

This really is a lovely little railcar. I was thinking about using a DCC Concepts decoder with a stay alive... but there is simply no room.

It has to be a direct connection 21 pin decoder. You won't even be able to use an 8 pin with a 8 to 21 plate - again there is no room!

post-6981-0-46094200-1388864772_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-74287000-1388864780_thumb.jpg

There will be more GWR stuff soon... but in the meantime, some other projects at the railway :-)

edit: the next project:

I have had a GWT Merlin livery HST set for a few years. It was bought at the Model Railway exhibition/shop in Mevagissey. Unfortunately GWT then changed to GW fag packet livery, which is much better than the Merlin livery and then of course went to the current Dynamic lines. I have always liked the HST sets and already have a BR blue/grey set.

This Merlin set, is a Lima class 43 Powered & unpowered locos, which have been underpowered for years with the old Lima pancake  motor. Sadly Hornby have never produced their more modern all singing and dancing HST set in either Merlin or Fag Packet, so my next project is to take a modern Hornby unit and change the body for a GWT unit.

I therefore bought from eBay a modern Hornby HST, which just happened to be in Arriva Cross Country livery.

The body will be redundant, as I use the modern electrics and motor, which will sit underneath the (Lima) Merlin body.  Anyone want two X Country bodies?

• RMweb Premium

post-6981-0-62917500-1388867453_thumb.jpg

The HST project with the Ac Railcar still in Platform 3

Of course all three of these would not have been seen at the same time. The AC Railcars, were not in service beyond the 1960's The HST was introduced in 1976 with the nearest Power Car shewing the GWT Merlin livery which was introduced in 1996 before the franchise was taken over by First... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Trains - Arriva took over the Cross Country franchise in November 2007 (I don't think it was right Virgin lost the Cross Country franchise, but that is a different argument!)

post-6981-0-30465800-1388867736_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A project of Three HST!

There may well be imperfections with the Lima HST body, but it will be fine for the time being underneath the Hornby chassis of the Cross Country HST. Seen here with the (2008 release) Hornby Blue / Grey HST.

post-6981-0-55476100-1388868366_thumb.jpg

edit:

post-6981-0-52620700-1388868754_thumb.jpg

The Merlin HST set will comprise two Power Cars and a 5 (Lima) carriage set. TGS a; TSO b; TSO c; Restaurant 1st f; TFO g; - If Hornby were to release a Fag Packet HST set, not sure what I will do then.... My primary interest remains the 1930's steam age of the Great Western.

Archived