Wharncliffe Junction - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

There was a bit of activity at Wharcliffe Junction this evening....

post-6981-0-67540200-1365799134_thumb.jpg  post-6981-0-81214400-1365799140_thumb.jpg

4575 class 2-6-2 tank No 5513 (needs repainting and numbering) is seen to good effect coming into Wharncliffe Junction with a vans trains, leading with a CooperCraft cattle van; followed by some Bachmann vans; then some furniture vans and then out of shot round the curve, some Bachmann Mogo and the required Toad. I think this is the first time I have shown the road over bridge, although I have always been pleased with it; I'm now not sure....

Recently there has been much debate about how much work there would need to be done on the Hornby King. It would be great to add new frames and a new motor, but I'm not sure I have the time.... But just look at that daylight around the bogie. This is R2233 King Stephen (loco driven) at Wharncliffe Junction.....

post-6981-0-92586800-1365797079_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have a conundrum!

I've never had to set the quartering of loco wheels before, but to my mind this doesn't look right:

post-6981-0-37748000-1365798738_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, the wheels are not revolving...... If one side is set at quarter to; surely the other side should be set at quarter past?

Can I have your suggestions please.

Great railway you have made there and based on an area I know well! Born in Ealing I used to play under and in, yes inside, the Wharncliffe viaduct! Also, I know you've named your pub but it occurs to me that The Fox in old Hanwell is a village pub right by the Grand Union canal near the lock. Coincidentally I worked in Henley-on-Thames in the 70s and can remember the cinema too. Nice work!

• RMweb Premium

Great railway you have made there and based on an area I know well! Born in Ealing I used to play under and in, yes inside, the Wharncliffe viaduct! Also, I know you've named your pub but it occurs to me that The Fox in old Hanwell is a village pub right by the Grand Union canal near the lock. Coincidentally I worked in Henley-on-Thames in the 70s and can remember the cinema too. Nice work!

Thanks very much Rich - You might also know Mike aka the stationmaster on here as he worked at Henley station around the same time.

You mean this pub? - http://www.panoramio.com/photo/63137305

Thanks very much Rich - You might also know Mike aka the stationmaster on here as he worked at Henley station around the same time.

You mean this pub? - http://www.panoramio.com/photo/63137305

Yes that's the place. Obviously back in the 30s it wouldn't have been so built up there alhought the pub and cottages are Victorian I think. It's at the point where the Brent enters the Grand Union.

• RMweb Premium

A Quick update!

Next new loco arrived today..... A Wills Finecast model of a Metro .... looks lovely.... Needs finishing, which will be done on our return from hols.

Plus the 57xx still needs finishing, although it had a spray of primer at the weekend.

In the meantime, please forgive a guilty pleasure!! - A Heljan BR Blue Class 52 Western loco, straight from the box, although it has a very impressive Howes sound decoder. The Western's were a favourite Diesel in the 1970's, although I remember them a lot dirtier than seen here on Western Druid. I will probably add a Dapol Western soon... But no more diesels, I promise*!! (Well apart from those already on the stock list!!)

post-6981-0-49607800-1366229095_thumb.jpg

*Of course after the addition of a new 4 wheel BR rail bus. Years ago, we had a delightful ride in one at the KWVR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's all been a bit quiet on the Junction front over the last couple of weeks.... well apart from a bit of an eBay spending frenzy, has seen a new Toad; 57xx and now, the loco I have wanted for an age!!! A 517 class metro 2-4-0 Tank: 

post-6981-0-10414300-1367791203_thumb.jpg

So as well as the new locos; I have the following unfinished projects:

1. Carriages: Comet Centenary Restaurant and the the complete rake; Slaters Toplights x2; Comet Sunshine carriage; Toplight single slip;

2. A whole yard full of incomplete wagons, but thankfully the majority just need tarpaulins over the weights, having been kit-built.

I guess these will be the Summer projects :-) Plus I need to sort out the fiddle yard once and for all.

Plus; Plus, the garden needs decking to replace the Patio; Plus; Plus; Plus I need to get rid of next doors Ivy that keeps coming over our wall; Plus; Plus; Plus; Plus... The lounge needs decorating!!

Whichever way you look at it, it's a busy Summer ahead, with weekends away on the Cabaret circuit and special photo weekends, there won't be a dull moment around Wharncliffe Junction... now just time for another Beer!

• RMweb Premium

I should have added that the 517 class will be number 616 which worked the Henley to Reading service in the 1930's, although I am not sure I can get the numberplate through the usual sources.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The King on the down Cornish Riviera, seen this afternoon (Saturday!) approaching Wharncliffe Junction. 

post-6981-0-72329900-1368986114_thumb.jpg

The King and carriages are out as part of my Centenary project - see separate thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43811-comet-gwr-centenary-carriage-project/

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Robin!

The King was a bit temperamental this afternoon (oh sorry Saturday afternoon!) and was hauling a short rake of 5 carriages.... At  the moment, they are all Airfix, some will be donors to the greater project.... Plus the complete Restaurant in the middle. The loco needs either a new chassis or a complete re-wire, it did not like my dirty track!

Of course the Riviera did not run on a Sunday, so the up is supposed to be Saturday, which was due into Paddington at 16:40

post-6981-0-15834700-1368987345_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal. I was just doing some catching up on Wharncliffe Junction when my jaw dropped.

Oh dear!  Another loco to get hold of... a metro 2-4-0T! Great to see there is a model of it.

I also see Roxey Mouldings produced a kit at one time.

On looking at shed allocations in Hawkins and Reeves, it would appear that the Metro (2-4-0T) and 517 (0-4-2T) are different locos,

2-4-0T 616 Henley-on-Thames allocations, 1930.  Do enjoy it.  I shall look forward to seeing more pics of it.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal. I was just doing some catching up on Wharncliffe Junction when my jaw dropped.

Oh dear!  Another loco to get hold of... a metro 2-4-0T! Great to see there is a model of it.

I also see Roxey Mouldings produced a kit at one time.

On looking at shed allocations in Hawkins and Reeves, it would appear that the Metro (2-4-0T) and 517 (0-4-2T) are different locos,

2-4-0T 616 Henley-on-Thames allocations, 1930.  Do enjoy it.  I shall look forward to seeing more pics of it.

Polly

Hi Polly, the Metro and 517 are very similar locos, but within the class there were huge detail differences. No 616 and 617 were allocated to Reading shed in the 1930's. Some survived through to the 1950's but not many.

There was definitely an allocation to Southall in the 1930's, but by and large these locos were replaced by the 48xx of which Southall had quite a few.

The loco is still in the SE Finecast range and it is that model that I managed to get from eBay.

Regards, Neal.

• RMweb Premium

Just finished reading from page one , very nice indeed Neal . Definatley some pinchable

ideas .

I do like the way you are using the road vehicle fleet , nice and varied range , I think the van

that Chubber was looking at was originaly by Keil Kraft , not sure if it's still being made though .

Keep up the good work and I'll keep watching .

Sudden flash of light and a quick search reveals that the little van is still available from

Knightwing Models .

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?next=9&cart_id=1369865719.523&product=OO-HO_Road_Transport_Kits

• RMweb Premium

Just finished reading from page one , very nice indeed Neal . Definatley some pinchable

ideas .

I do like the way you are using the road vehicle fleet , nice and varied range , I think the van

that Chubber was looking at was originaly by Keil Kraft , not sure if it's still being made though .

Keep up the good work and I'll keep watching .

Sudden flash of light and a quick search reveals that the little van is still available from

Knightwing Models .

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?next=9&cart_id=1369865719.523&product=OO-HO_Road_Transport_Kits

Thanks Mike

ideas .

I think the van

that Chubber was looking at was originaly by Keil Kraft .................a quick search reveals that the little van is still available from

Knightwing Models .

Thanks, SR I managed to get one from thm, cheers,

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Dateline: Tuesday 2nd June 1936 and Saint Brides Hall was seen initially on it's way to London with a small freight train, then on the way back with a short parcels train.

(It's been a busy couple of weeks, not much activity on other projects!). Plus it was the Bluebell Rail Ale last Friday (photos here: http://nealball.smugmug.com/trains/bluebell-railway-sheffield/rail-ale-31st-may-2013

post-6981-0-50027100-1370194283_thumb.jpg

An up freight was photographed earlier today coming over Wharncliffe Viaduct, hauled by 4970 4-6-0 Saint Brides Hall, the date is Tuesday 2nd June 1936.

There was talk in another thred about kit built wagons - today's trains are all kit built (locos aside). Parkside GWR Horsebox and beatle cattle van; Cooper Craft Cattle Wagons, followed by a Ratio Mogo; open wagons and a Ratio Toad (complete with all the required lamps!)

post-6981-0-24251200-1370194638_thumb.jpg

Having crossed Wharncliffe Viaduct, No 4970 Saint Brides Hall, is seen arriving at the station.... hopefully it will be stopped before arriving at West Ealing as the lamps seem to have fallen off!

post-6981-0-63307100-1370194825_thumb.jpg

But thankfully the rear and side lamps are all correctly shewn on the Didcot allocated Toad brake van.

post-6981-0-07304400-1370194912_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, we see Saint Brides Hall heading West with a down parcels train.

post-6981-0-76972900-1370195222_thumb.jpg

This last photo, I adjusted for colour balance in photoshop, maybe I should have done the same with the other photos.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal see you have got some Railcoach rolling stock the full brake is not too bad when painted up and with a few bit of detail add handrails, door handles etc.

81C

Railcoach? No, not heard of them. The full brake in the photo is the Ian Kirk model.

I'll have to keep a lookout for the Railcoach full brake - I could do with one for my milk train.  I've got the Monster van (as in Neal's pic above) to do, can't have enough unade kits lying around!

Archived