Random Old Prototype Pictures

Lingfield looks right, allowing for the alteration on the Down side (in 1894?). I don't have anything on Dormans (yet!) but I assume we are looking in the Down direction there.

post-6509-0-21128400-1360522958.jpg

I'll now see if I can find anything for Barming.

Thanks

Andy

Both appear to match the the current building layout / plan as shown on Google Maps/Streetview.

Looks like it may be. (Lingfield and Dormans)

also Building 4 looks like Barming

http://goo.gl/maps/wZzX0

From that nice Mr Google's satellite, the roof line certainly looks the same. And the photographer was there in 1980 for his only visit, so I'm going to list the shot as the station master's house at Barming in that year.

A couple of unidentified tunnel mouths to come (curb your impatience!)

Agree that they are the same place.

The path that runs  up the hill from directly above the tunnel looks is the same.

The line of the trees on the ridge of the same is the same as well.

Looks like a lot of light coloured soil, chalk possibly? That could but in south downs/north downs area.

That's quite a high ridge as well, given that the tunnel mouth is approx 20feet(?) so ridge about 200ft high above that.

Oxted Tunnel south portal at 19m 09ch it is, thank you very much.

Southern bods will be delighted to hear that Building 1 and Building 3 at the head of Page 2 have been positively identified as Bradfield and Elmswell.....on the GER!

How they came to be in a box of Southern stuff acquired by me, I don't know.

Building 2 remains unidentified.

More to come, no doubt

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You are right that the photo is taken at Blandford St Mary, just on the edge of blandford. The accident happend from memory in 1929 and is mentioned in a couple of books. Your also right that the line from Corfe Mullen to Blandford was doubled during the later part of the 19th c. The signal is the Blandford Up distant.

Would this be Blandford St Mary bridge at 52m 75ch, S&D No.200?

I ask because the Southern Region Bridge Register shows two 15ft arches, 21ft 9in skew, whereas the two arches in the picture are clearly of different sizes. The next one south is also a two arch bridge (occupation) at 53m 15ch, but that also shows as 2 x 15ft 0in arches.

Of course, it could be a case of sloppy bridge records!

These two images came from a neg bag marked 'Alston Line May 1976'.

Not knowing the area, I need to know whether these are of bridge No.40 on that line. According to bridge records that should be Thornhope Burn viaduct at 9m 55¾ch between Slaggyford and Alston, described as a stone viaduct of 4 spans of 30ft each, which clearly this isn't.

Any definite information or other suggestions welcome!

post-6509-0-47393900-1361372457.jpg

post-6509-0-12628600-1361372635.jpg

Archived