Wisbech & Upwell Book - Which one?

Tony Davis

The article in BRM and a visit to the Wisbech MRC open day and the layouts on RMweb plus a general liking for the area have all given me an interest in the Wisbech and upwell tramway. I would like to build a layout based on it and wondered which of the books available would give most details of the tracklayout and rolling stock. Budget being limited I would rather buy just one book and wondered if anyone could recommend one please?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I would agree that the Wild Swan book is excellent. Details are:

The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway

Chris Hawkins and George Reeve

Wild Swan Publications Ltd 1982

ISBN 0 906867 09 6

£4.50

The problem is that if you can find a copy it will be a lot more than £4.50.

The problem is that if you can find a copy it will be a lot more than £4.50.

That's a pity for anyone looking for this book, but does it mean I'm sitting on a goldmine of old railway publications ?!!

• RMweb Premium

If you can afford a second book the Middleton one has OO scale drawings of the depot buildings. As it is also the most recent book on the subject, maybe even still in print your local library may have a copy or be able to find one for you.

If you can afford a second book the Middleton one has OO scale drawings of the depot buildings. As it is also the most recent book on the subject, maybe even still in print your local library may have a copy or be able to find one for you.

The Middleton book is still in print; I just bought it from Amazon for £15.95 but I think all three complement each other. If you can't get them all I would get the Oakwood book as it has the most information (IMO).

The line has also featured several times in the magazine Railway Bylines too.

Okay, the Wild Swan book has arrived, amazingly quick despatch I have to say, and the book is good too. I have just ordered the Oakwood and Middleton books as recommended. Hoping to visit the area next week as part of our looking for suitable places to live series of journeys, although it looks like Spalding will be our likely eventual destination.

Thanks again guys for all the help, really appreciated.

Tony

Lest the impression be abroad that there are only three books available on the subject, may I mention the following? It was published in both hard and paper back versions.

Andrew C Ingram: The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway Centenary Album, Becknell Books, 1983, ISBN 0 907087 20 5 (hardback), 1 901706 93 1 (paperback).

Christopher Payne

Lest the impression be abroad that there are only three books available on the subject, may I mention the following? It was published in both hard and paper back versions.

Andrew C Ingram: The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway Centenary Album, Becknell Books, 1983, ISBN 0 907087 20 5 (hardback), 1 901706 93 1 (paperback).

Christopher Payne

I have seen that book on Amazon Christopher, does it give enough extra info to justify the extra expense? I have bought the other three and if the centenary album does give more info I would probably buy that too. I couldn't see any reviews on amazon to help me decide.

regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I have seen that book on Amazon Christopher, does it give enough extra info to justify the extra expense? I have bought the other three and if the centenary album does give more info I would probably buy that too. I couldn't see any reviews on amazon to help me decide.

regards

Tony

I have the Centenary Album and it is merely a photograph album. Most of the photographs appear in the other three books so on cost grounds it probably would not be justified unless you are a bibliophile like me. :imsohappy:

I have the Centenary Album and it is merely a photograph album. Most of the photographs appear in the other three books so on cost grounds it probably would not be justified unless you are a bibliophile like me. :imsohappy:

No, I'm not religious at all :-)

Christopher Payne

Is Andrew Ingram any relation to Simon, of this parish?

In addition to those mentioned, I also have "The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway" by Gadschen, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker (Town & Country Press, 1966).  It's fair to say that the more comprehensive recent works have superseded this book, however.

• 2 years later...

I currently own the Wild Swan publication as well as #6 out of 250 of the casebound edition of Andrew Ingram's centenary album. A purchase this morning was also made of the above mentioned title from Town & Country Press. 
I've been wondering whether to pick up the Middleton or Oakwood books, but assumed that the Oakwood one was essentially a revision of the Middleton one. Is this not the case and would there be a benefit to owning both, (besides having the full selection of known published books on the line)?

Archived