Examples of my weathering...

rs4

Hi Tase

Well, with all the doom & gloom predicted about their car I wasn't hopeful. Then it slowly started to dawn on me.... Then there were 20 laps to go and I'm edging nearer the edge of my seat.... The last 6 laps I almost couldn't watch (especially when Nicos car expired). Chuffed. He is a real racer, very fast and hasn't had luck championship wise, he should have 2 or 3 titles under his belt all things being equal. Off to Spa for the next race.... Can't wait to hear the F1 thunder and the way it bellows through your body.

Lucky so and so! I went to Abu Dhabi last year....watching on tv doesn't really convey the sense of speed or noise! Enjoy! :)

I was gonna send you and Ess1 a seacow and get you to follow my rubbish techniques by the way - fancy it ? Virtual weathering !

Happy modelling... Nick

Definitely mate! Edited by Tase

Yorkie Pudd - very kind, I'm really only playing at this, but hopefully learning along the way ! Be great to have more time to do it though.... But then the job does (currently) pay for the insanity !

Well if that`s the result of you just playing around, I wonder what detailing results will show when you go serious PRO. I`d be happy with 10% of your skill once I`ve got a few hurdles sorted first like - layout design done, space for layout  NO & no stock lol.  Is very tempting to buy stock and start playing with paint like you. I suppose a 12" piece of  2"x1" be a pretend container or box van to practice on.

Update... A rush job on a few containers tonight (literally working at grass level on the grass !).

I have suffered a bit of overspray which I'll need to correct.

Will need a coat more in places - awkward to get into the nooks and crannies.

Photos:

post-1261-0-88673300-1375386358_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-86474000-1375386376_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-00403600-1375386389_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-02385500-1375386404_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-14945800-1375386415_thumb.jpg

Interesting that the prototypes do have all yellow versions, and some have the rib painted yellow on the division between white and yellow, others don't.

Next minor task is to source suitably sized numbers. The Replica ones I have would be OK for the end numbering but are too small for the side numbers.

Issues aside, these should look cracking after weathering.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

Hi Wild Boar

I plumbed for Railmatch Network Rail sunshine yellow believe it or not ! (I can almost hear Mick spitting his tea out)

Reasons, and they are quite simple...

1. It was what I had (I did have a faded yellow which I may use for a few containers).

2. It didn't look that far off, and as you say, following some weathering I'm sure it won't be an issue

The masking off was ok, used tamiya tape, but somewhere along the line the paint got in. The containers do soak up alot of paint and getting in all the angles is awkward - well, working at grass level anything would be right ??

A few more to go mind.... I shall take my time and try to do it better...

Thanks for the input (and the containers) - I will keep you updated.

"I love the smell of a binliner train in the morning"

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Wild Boar

I plumbed for Railmatch Network Rail sunshine yellow believe it or not ! (I can almost hear Mick spitting his tea out)

Heck no! :paint:

I've used other shades of yellow for NR stock before now........

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. I don't drink tea

....and tomorrow I will be trying to get these sprayed:

post-1261-0-95974400-1375469243_thumb.jpg

Local shop is out of sunshine yellow, so I may be forced into using warning yellow and / or faded yellow. That may not be a bad thing, I may risk it - it may help the overall look (variety).

• Like 1

Another day, another wagon..

Same technique of huge overspray....whahey and a rescue via t-cut:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What would I do without wagons & muck ?

Nick...lovely job on all the various weathering projects...but a question if you please...I can't get T-Cut on this side of the pond but I'm sure I can find a similar product, but I'm curious about how exactly you use it?  Do you apply it immediately after painting onto the still wet paint? or wait for the paint to dry tacky? or completely? and what do you use to apply the t-cut?

Perhaps a short tutorial might be in order?    :yes:

Cheers

Gene

Edited by Gene

Hi Gene

There is a thread on here about it, but a google seems to suggest a product called "scratch x "

I guess anything that's mildly abrasive in a paste form.

What I'd done was overspray really (wrongly) - then I remembered some chatter on here about t cut.

I bought some. Decanted a small amount onto a Pringle lid - then with a cotton bud soaked in the stuff I rubbed up and down on the panels. I'm thinking it is best on dead flag surfaces without detail. I then wiped off and buffed up with a piece of kitchen roll. It's great for exposing transfer detail / fading them a bit. I think the results are better than using wet & dry paper which is what I've done before.

The only issues are getting the stuff where you don't want it - maybe masking would be an idea. It can leave off white stains on darker paint (like the roof of a van)

I have some more to do, I'll try to take some photos as I go.

Before I go... The paint was weeks / months old, if I'd have done it properly I'd have streaked the just sprayed paint with a flat brush / thinner and probably have got the same result.

Good luck..

Nick

Thanks Nick...I've found three different products in my local shop that could do the same thing.....now to try them as per your description...glad to know it works on completely cured paint Lso.

Cheers Gene

Thanks for the description of using T-Cut. I have seen it recommended in books on weathering and detailing, but wasn't sure f you used it on wet or dried paint.

Really looking forward to see how you new containers progress, but no rush, I know how doing things at the right time, and pace makes them more enjoyable.

Jamie

Hi Rob

Total credit goes to Wild Boar Fell on here for the containers, and the tip off of their existence to David Winpenny

Next step for me is sourcing some tranfers for the numbers - gonna give letraset 3 and 5 mm (3mm for ends, 5mm for sides). If that works they then need weathering.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the "likes" and comments. Appreciated.

Slight change in tack while I wait for the transfers for the binliners.

A London Midland 153 interior to decorate and then stick a few hapless passengers in it... Suitable colours sourced from Tamiya. Painting not that exact.... But I don't think it will really be noticeable, some help from Roo aged 7.

post-1261-0-62301400-1375900107_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-56606600-1375900120_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Paul

Containers are v good. Still waiting for transfers so playing with the people of the 153 still.

A guy here has a copy of Rail Express while the person opposite is on their iPad.. And one has a latte on the go...post-1261-0-29575600-1375984919_thumb.jpg

Further along this fella has a copy of Model Rail.

post-1261-0-29817400-1375985021_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile The Sun is reporting about aliens...

post-1261-0-84271500-1375985085_thumb.jpg

With better light you'd be able to see inside.....

Needless to say, this has amused me... The possibilities are endless.

post-1261-0-67186900-1375985221_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The above is something well different to figures just stuck inside, and your comments well tickled my warped sense of humour. As you say endless possibilities of extra inside carriage detailing, so keep up the great work - just brilliant  :D

Yorkie-Pudd

Hi Ken. Yes, the 153 saga tickled me too. Next time I will paint a little more accurately (although the shades were spot on), maybe source better people (or add paint to them) and scale down the slightly oversized newspapers etc.

Rob

You know on a hot day in the office (where the wagons will most likely reside) when the bin hasn't been emptied..... It probably smells similar !

Annoyingly the letraset delivery hasn't arrived. Off on holiday tomorrow so the 'liners will not be worked on for the next week.

on the upside we are staying over in Dawlish tomorrow night.... What a strange coincidence !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loving the detailing inside the 153! So many sad rail enthusiasts on board!! :P

On the party train last weekend saw one girl downing vodka with her mates and later chucked up all over the table, that would certainly be interesting to model!

Great binliners BTW!

Cheers,

James