Examples of my weathering...

rs4

I notice a white LU livery 66 in that box?

Great work on this set.

I never even noticed that till I saw your post and looked back, it will the GBRF 66721 with the London Tube map representation.

post-14408-0-57613700-1407152060.jpg

Think it was 66718 that was black had London taxi`s and writing on etc.

• Like 1

Strike a light ! You lot don't need a trip to the opticians !

Yes....it is 66721 in white LU livery.

I have a large GBRF fetish.... Got most of the fleet.

It is bought and is superb.... Given time it is possible to replicate.... Maybe in black instead !

• Like 2

I think the LUL shop will do them, I'm very surprised they haven't so far....maybe too modern ??

I'd missed two handrails on my set 9 RHTT.... So I've fashioned them up tonight. The long end I'll cut down - I'm just using that to hold it while it's primed.

post-1261-0-33479800-1407177790_thumb.jpg

Some extra pipes fitted to water tanks and a pose of the situation so far:

post-1261-0-89808700-1407177819_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-40825900-1407177831_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-83522000-1407177843_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, the evening confession is that I did buy 66721 off ebay.

How many Hail Marys ?

Onto modelling of my own, quick job of fixing the two handrails to the modules:

post-1261-0-93528800-1407262881_thumb.jpg

So it really has to be transfers next. Not sure when, holiday to scotland coming up.

• Like 3

I was watching the bidding on 66721....it went mental at the end! Good purchase however Nick. It matters not what others think but whether you think you got value for money and for its uniqueness I think you did.

Any chance of a few pics of 66721 pretty please?

Did you see the article in this months Model Rail btw?

Hi Tase

I will post some pics - or I could send direct ? I'm not one for advertising stock that hasn't been through my shop in this thread !

Model Rail....I do subscribe, I think I had a stuttery download and haven't had a chance to look......

Anymore progress on your RHTT ??

Cheers Nick - I'll PM you my email address.

Re the Model Rail article, I thought it was going to be a little more substantive but nonetheless it's worth a read.

RHTT - unfortunately not as work's got in the way lol. I'm off for the few days so I'm hoping to get a bit more done.

Regards

Edited by Tase
  • Like 1

I'm a bit confused now, quick scan of model rail and rail express modeller. Zilch.

Swifty - sorry buddy ! I was in first for 99p and I seriously thought "bargain".... That all changed or course.

It's a an amazing work, but the chassis was a bit tired. The bogie side frames were a bit twisted and I was concerned, but I had them off and reseated them all fine. Very dity wheels etc cleaned up and it runs like a dream.

If I ever work up courage to give a copy a go, I'll let you know.

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused now, quick scan of model rail and rail express modeller. Zilch.

Swifty - sorry buddy ! I was in first for 99p and I seriously thought "bargain".... That all changed or course.

It's a an amazing work, but the chassis was a bit tired. The bogie side frames were a bit twisted and I was concerned, but I had them off and reseated them all fine. Very dity wheels etc cleaned up and it runs like a dream.

If I ever work up courage to give a copy a go, I'll let you know.

Not a problem bud!

I'm after a 66718 more myself! Can you send me some photos of your one? Ideas for when I get mine done!

Edited by Swifty11

Hi Ken,

Just one semi loaded log wagon at the moment.

Still need to source suitable twigs. I may have a go at a few this weekend.

So..... Have you progressed with any modelling ? Or even playing trains. I do hope you can indulge.

Right...another 7 minutes sitting here then time to head out to work..joy.

• Like 1

Nick,

Hope you have a great time in Scotland, not that I'm biased coming from there! No doubt you'll return brim full of new modelling ideas, and hopefully with batteries fully re-charged.

Good luck with the weather and don't forget to protect against the midges!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Looking forward to it. I was up there (Stirling) for 4 years between 1988 and 1992.

We're off to Ardnamurchan - I went as a kid in the 80s.

Train up to Fort William courtesy of Virgin (yuk) and then Scotrail. Car from Fort William onwards.

Return journey I'm driving all the way, family going back down east coast.

Back to RHTT a minute. The details for the jetting module:

post-1261-0-45200200-1407348121.jpg

1. The 3 strip lights. The tubes can be painted white.

2. The emergency stop button - best done as per the method in my thread. Note the excess length is handy as you do need to locate it into the module.

Then the sandite module:

post-1261-0-09976500-1407348188.jpg

1. The buffer that's sliced in two and is the aerial (the red stripe is roughly where to cut). Then make sure the buffer head is filed / smooth.

2. Handrail needs cutting and bending

3. Exhaust - will need a file down to remove excess, then glue on top (I don't bother with holes for it to site in)

4. The vent - air recirculation I guess

5. Emergency stop button

I can annotate the etches too if that helps. It's easy to cut them wrong.... You only get one chance....

• Like 2

Here's the jetting module etch:

post-1261-0-14948100-1407432484_thumb.jpg

Red

Two handrails with cuts marked in red. Clearly, you don't want to bend the brass when cutting. A solid surface underneath and a scalpel is best.

Blue:

2 sets of steps and the rungs

Black:

The door handles - VERY SMALL. Best left as a strip. Prime. Paint then cut off...

Green:

Door and window grommets (I've never fitted these)

Then the sandite etch:

post-1261-0-61110400-1407432726_thumb.jpg

Red:

The cuts for the 2 handrails. Be careful not to cut off the "feet" - the centre posts one is very small, but necessary to anchor the rails to the deck.

Blue:

Steps and rungs.

The other bits I've not covered here, the grilles, the post reinforcing.

Once cut, filed and bent, they need a soak in thinners to remove grease etc. Then it's either etch primer then paint or you should be able to get away with white primer - no need to paint white then !

• Like 3

A recap on the steps for all you rhtters out there....

Once cut from the fret, ideally carefully file the excess.

Fold one side up (small pliers fine):

post-1261-0-55560900-1407438871_thumb.jpg

Now you need a rung.... Very small. Awkward to file and hold. Insert into the slit in the side first then the larger slit in the front of the steps.... Ideally it fits. If not, file it a little....

post-1261-0-68123900-1407438936_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it fits square...then fold the other side up, aim being to engage the lug on the rung...

post-1261-0-75798600-1407438997_thumb.jpg

If it's all gone to plan, you can then fold the bottom rung outward to create the bottom step, and the top rung folds backwards to act as your glueing point

post-1261-0-13078900-1407439063_thumb.jpg

Now, you will notice the rungs are a bit proud on the backs and sides. So, carefully file this down - infact the 4 sides including the front of the rung. If you do it well it looks flush - great steps !!

post-1261-0-73909900-1407439148_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-84012900-1407439174_thumb.jpg

In about 30 minutes I did the 4 I need:

post-1261-0-57019400-1407439199_thumb.jpg

So, it's time for a wash down to get rid of the swarf, then a soak in thinners to degrease. Then priming. Awkward to paint to be honest, but possible.

Jock - seats booked on the Jacobite, so looking forward to that !

• Like 1

I bow too your patience in dealing with all them small fiddly bits, as would drive me crackers ( more then I already am haha )

answering your layout question, simple answer is no as ton of layouts designed for different space sizes, but no space to build any. but rmweb helps with ideas like your weathering build tips for when space does become available to build it.