Examples of my weathering...

rs4

Wow! Brilliant Nick! :yes:

I need to have a go at a brass kit someday...maybe a Judith Edge industrial or sumfin?

If I (ever) get round to doing an RHTT, I'll probably make new head stocks from plasticard (the cheat's way!) :no:

Jack.

Thank you for the likes and comments as ever.

Jack.... I do wonder whether it's worth it - just use a Dapol FEA. On a related note a kind rmwebber has provided me with some moulded buffer stocks for converting a Dapol FEA... that may be an easier option...PM me if you want to know who !

Ken... Yep, added sturdiness thanks to some lead I stole from my parents when I was up there last weekend ! It's stuffed into the spine section.

Tase... First up you have to hand it to George for putting the time in and creating that etch. Fairly amazing that you can build those two wagons from two flat pieces of brass.....

Overall I'd say they aren't a total PITA to build, I'd estimate maybe 10 hours build time.

The instructions aren't great in my opinion, but then I do struggle to read anything these days without trying to speed read it and strip out the key facts. That doesn't work with instructions.

I spent some hours (while running) chewing over how best to approach the build. That seemed to pay off.

They aren't perfect, but "good enough"

The usual tip of cutting carefully and filing accurately would be the key one.

Will be interesting how the RHTT modules look posed on them, which brings me to the ultimate issue.......

I now have to build another set of RHTT modules for these FEAs! Nooooooooooooooo

That will be set 10.... That's 60 modules in total. Bonkers.

I must get out of this comfy chair and soak them in white spirit so I can prime them tomorrow.

• Like 3

Here's a pose using the modules I am building for a chap:

post-1261-0-31273400-1412446264_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-43016400-1412446281_thumb.jpg

And the key difference, buffer stocks at both ends of the wagon...

post-1261-0-23756200-1412446306_thumb.jpg

May need to bend them a little to get them straight.

post-1261-0-45967700-1412446328_thumb.jpg

Right....white spirit. Shower. Doctor Who. Sleep. Or maybe sleep while Dr Who is on ?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the likes and comments as ever.

Jack.... I do wonder whether it's worth it - just use a Dapol FEA. On a related note a kind rmwebber has provided me with some moulded buffer stocks for converting a Dapol FEA... that may be an easier option...PM me if you want to know who !

Hopefully I have a few of the ends arriving in the next couple of days! I've built the S-Kits FEA-S and they're quite a reasonable kit to build.

I believe they also do the GBRf variant, but I'm going to have a go down the Dapol/cast end route for these.

Going back to the S-Kits FEA's - I found fitting couplings a PITA, as they were going to run between a pair of powered 37's for end-to-end use on Blackmill. To get the required coupling swing, I originally fitted Kadess to the bogies, but the buffing forces (if one of the locos wasn't exactly matched to the other), caused the bogies to rotate in both horizontal and vertical planes.

In the end, they're semi-permanently bar coupled between the pair and the Kadess were eventually mounted onto the chassis via a home-made pivoted mounting with centering spring.

That's partly the reason, I'm trying out the RTR route on my next FEA-S project.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Cheers Mick, good info.

The RTR Dapol FEA certainly runs ok - although I have tended to run a dummy loco at one end (or a DVT on the MML version).

I must offer up the SKits versus the Dapol and see what the key differences are...

Time to retrieve the wagons from their dip... Then leave to dry overnight.

Best regards.. Must link up soon.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I must offer up the SKits versus the Dapol and see what the key differences are...

Probably buffer heights. The S-kits FEA tends to ride high (just like their KWA!). Problem with lowering the wagon, is that it can cause issues with bogie rotation for 00 wheelsets. The fix sounds quite drastic in that you cut "wheel arches" into the chassis!

Cheers,

Mick

Well, thanks as ever for the likes and comments.

Here are some comparison shots of the Dapol and S-Kits FEA.

There are some very clear differences. Clearly the Dapol one has some very fine bells and whistles that aren't on the kit version. Many of the pipes etc could be added however.

I do like the look of the S-Kits one......... wonder if I can get mine to run properly !

post-1261-0-06126900-1413206885_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-44481000-1413206899_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-13327300-1413206912_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-20162700-1413206923_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-41535600-1413206935_thumb.jpeg

Plus, I'm nearly finished on my 9th set of RHTT modules using the Dapol FEA as the base wagon:

post-1261-0-88344900-1413206996_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-76732300-1413207010_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-11058100-1413207026_thumb.jpeg

Happy modelling.....

Nick

Edited by rs4
  • Like 7

Thanks for posting those comparison shots Nick.

I have bitten the bullet & decided to have a crack at a RHTT set (I blame your inspirational photos :mosking:). Order sent to George @ S-Kits and Dapol FEA-B's have arrived. I was wondering if I could do a simple mod to the Dapol wagons to convert them into FEA-F's by just building up a buffer headstock over one set of anchor points but your comparison shows the FEA-F's are actually longer.  

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Sam

I still think you could do it - use the Dapol FEA.

I do have some resin cast headstocks which should do the trick if positioned right. A very helpful person on here contacted me about them and I had a few off him.

For me though, even without the right headstocks at each end the Dapol wagon is more than passable. Just depends on how many rivets you wish to count I guess.

Good luck on the RHTT - they turn out stunning in my view.

• Like 1

I've noted this before, but it's important to paint out the bottom rail, it is blue, not white:

Before:

post-1261-0-97230300-1413484115_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1261-0-90765400-1413484130_thumb.jpg

If you look carefully at the prototype, the lower part of the upright is also blue.

Onto set 9 which is complete now after all transfers were added, varnished to protect and modules glued into place:

post-1261-0-99184900-1413484212_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-24308000-1413484225_thumb.jpg

Regards

Nick

• Like 6

Thanks...

Sam - lining..

I think there are some words of wisdom (?) somewhere in this thread.

What I found best was to cut a length (longest is about 62mm from memory). That includes a couple of mm spare.

Put that on the module roughly in place. Wet with microsol. Then hold one end with a fine brush, grab the paper backing at the other end and slowly pull..... It will leave the whole length in one piece..... Roughly in place.

It's then a case of working that into place with a very fine brush / microsol to lubricate the process.

That's the short version. It's so easy to twist....then you need to get your brush underneath and run it along to the end of the transfer turning out that twist.

If anyone wants a video of that I can do one, likely with the sound off....it can be a time consuming and frustrating process !

The end pieces are done in the same way, linking up with an overlap.

The square modules are no less difficult.... Shorter pieces of lining cut with a mm or two of overlap - at least you have a line to follow.....

Need any help let me know,

Nick

An great stunning RHTT set again Nick & you`ll be making set 10 then for an even number ?

nice comparison between the two frames which some would moan as not right, but depends which actually unit the maker took measurements from + I think having different types add character.

10 Ken ? I only count to 9 these days.

Seriously though.....it's only a matter of time - what else can I do with those kit built FEAs !

I know exactly what will happen....I'll buy another 1 FEA and the have to model the North Wales set / Carlisle sets that run with 3 wagons.

Before I do that I must finish off some other stuff - particularly Wild Boars gypsum containers.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks.

I've been working on and off on a couple of mk3 sets, both to have roof dirt, under frame grub and brake discs. I've also picked out the various bogie gubbins on the br set.

First up the EC set:

post-1261-0-93605800-1414338164_thumb.jpg

The TGS as an example, hopefully showing the roof looking a lot less plasticky:

post-1261-0-55892200-1414338256_thumb.jpg

And again lower down to show the bogies and brake disc inserts:

post-1261-0-07357500-1414338298_thumb.jpg

Here you should hopefully be able to see the difference between a "mint" coach and a "my version".

post-1261-0-42354700-1414338362_thumb.jpg

And again:

post-1261-0-26929500-1414338419_thumb.jpg

And here looking down on the roof, hopefully you can see the difference:

post-1261-0-36667700-1414338451_thumb.jpg

And the full BR set:

post-1261-0-50386700-1414338538_thumb.jpg

For those of you with an iPad.....it's easy enough to turn the screen, I wouldn't recommend it with a monitor.... I will try to rotate the images of the sets !!

• Like 4

Morning Nick,

Very impressive work as ever! My wife Joanna is getting a bit fed up with the 12inch/1foot version of the RHTT that has been past the bottom of our garden twice daily, mostly in the dark, but I've seen it with a couple of very clean DRS 57s and also a grubby yellow 57 matched with a clean DRS 37. Don't know how long the cleaning will last but I guess it will be until the leaves stop dropping!

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.