The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving in Texas (Now back in the UK)

Tony_S

My wife is desperate to see a moose! All we saw were "Moose Crossing" signs in New England a few years ago. 

I've only ever seen them occasionally despite going through 'moose' areas reasonably frequently. The most was coming through Grafton Notch State Park (western Maine) in the late evening where we counted 14, including one on the road.

I don't know if you are going to get up as far as Edmonton, but there is a buffalo herd in Elk Island National Park (just east of Edmonton) if you are interested in them.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I have seen Moose in Alaska from a reasonable distance but the closest I got to one was sitting in the front seats of a bus from Hearst to Cochraine in the early hours - it just ran out in front of the bus. Luckily the bus driver managed to break enough and the Moose moved quick enough to get out of the way!

Your best place for moose will be along the parkway between Banff & Lake Louise. ( highway 1A ) They tend to prefer marshy boggy ground near rivers. you do get them on the roads but rarely during the day. They are a menace at night though. Ask me how I know.

Its the elk you have to watch out for. Especially during rutting season. They'll show up in the townsites and are nasty b*ggers.

There is also a buffalo (bison) paddock just outside of the Banff townsite.

Sorry, appreciate that from a visitors perspective it might be nice to see a moose, but I dont want to see one!  They are a killer.  When a car hits one it is just about the right height to take out those spindle little legs and then you get 500+ lbs of moose coming straight into the car windscreen.  A couple of years back a friend was very lucky.  she saw the moose and had the good sense to duck, but it took about 2 hours to get her out from under the carcas.

Archived