The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving in Texas (Now back in the UK)

Tony_S

Anyway, we got to the brewery... they dont sell beer to visitors there (part of the wierd alcohol laws I believe).

Ian

Obviously a case of not being able to organise a p1ss-up in a brewery.

Some states and almost all Canadian provinces have laws about passing emergency vehicles when they have there warning lights activated.  Slow down and or move over.  If the lights are on but there is no obvious reason for them being on, DO NOT ASSUME it is a mistake and go by at speed, there will almost certainly be a catcher down the road. Penalties are quiet severe

Spent a couple of weeks driving a hire car out of Houston a few years ago.

We exchanged the booked model for a larger car - the cliché about everything being bigger in Texas is quite true!  Fuel is still cheaper in the USA, so why not make the most of the experience?

In February/March Texas is full of "snow birds" - elderly residents of (most often) Minnesota, escaping the cold.  If you're not accustomed to seeing a car towed behind an RV, the sight of what appears to be a car plus trailer going backwards fast can be a bit of a shock!

If you cross over into New Mexico, you'll pass a big sign that tells you all the various fines that you can expect for exceeding the speed limits.  Going back the other way, the equivalent sign simply says: "Drive Friendly, the Texas Way".  That just about sums up the attitude, most of the time.  (But cross the line that puts you on the wrong side of the law, and they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks - and sadly that is often defined by skin colour; never a trust a sheriff that pronounces "car" as "vy-hee-call").

Texas is big and distances between towns can be long.  Beware of a lack of filling stations on secondary routes - never leave a town without enough fuel to get to the next major centre.

The usual security warnings apply in most big US cities, be careful not to get lost or drive into areas that look sleazy.  Similarly the towns along the Mexican border may have occasional security problems, and better to steer clear of the cheaper motels in that area.

Talking of the border, there are trains that cross over from Mexico - often with "stowaways".  If you watch and take photographs, you'll probably be challenged by police/border agents - usually no problems once they've ascertained you're not working on behalf of an insurance company!

I'd recommend taking a look at Eastern Texas - well-watered, some interesting wildlife and alligator-tail steaks.

• RMweb Gold

In February/March Texas is full of "snow birds" - elderly residents of (most often) Minnesota, escaping the cold.  If you're not accustomed to seeing a car towed behind an RV, the sight of what appears to be a car plus trailer going backwards fast can be a bit of a shock!

My son may count as a snow bird as he is flying down from Calgary. We are staying in a Holiday Inn in Houston for which Trip Advisor doesn't seem to mention any significant problems! I suspect as we only have a week together (I'll be there 10 days) we won't be going out of state. When we were in Connecticut I got to sit in a police cruiser but it wasn't because I'd been naughty, we were being given a tour of the police station where our friend works.

My son may count as a snow bird as he is flying down from Calgary. We are staying in a Holiday Inn in Houston for which Trip Advisor doesn't seem to mention any significant problems! I suspect as we only have a week together (I'll be there 10 days) we won't be going out of state. When we were in Connecticut I got to sit in a police cruiser but it wasn't because I'd been naughty, we were being given a tour of the police station where our friend works.

I doubt that your son is old enough to be a snowbird. They are generally retirees from northern states or Canada who spend the summer at home and the winter in the warm south.

Beware of Armadillos and Tornados (real ones). One is squashable the other squashes you...

I saw the results of a big clear sky "dust devil" meeting a "semi" on an entry ramp to I40 in Arizona and it wasn't pretty.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I shall do my best to avoid squashing armadillos though I think I would quite like to see one. I did run over a dead skunk in Vermont. Not sure where that comes on the "Things to Experience In the USA" list.

Tony

Not all States and Cities allow turn right against the Red Light (after coming to a complete halt). New York City doesn't and it doesn't mention it at intersections, either. It is wise to check.

The other place I know of where right-on-red is prohibited is Montreal. It only applies on the island - which encompasses most of Montreal. In the rest of Quebec it is now legal unless posted otherwise. none of this is relevant to Texas, though.

I have driven in 28 states, but Texas isn't one of them.

Adrian 

I shall do my best to avoid squashing armadillos though I think I would quite like to see one. I did run over a dead skunk in Vermont. Not sure where that comes on the "Things to Experience In the USA" list.

Tony

As long as you don't actually hit the skunk and get the underside of the car sprayed, the odor goes away quite quickly. I've hit a live skunk and the car smelled of skunk for a week - it was ok while driving but every time I stopped...

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the advice. I feel ready to venture onto the roads of Texas now. I think I know what to do (unless I encounter a wagon train).

We have just booked our summer holiday (Alberta in April) and we will have some driving to do there. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Ah..enough time to really blow the holiday budget at a train show!

$6  for the entrance?

Perhaps I should check up on personal allowances for gifts to self?   :)  Do model trains have to go into checked luggage in case they contain pointy bits?

... can I say that I could never look at the topic title without hearing this tune -

Not what I would have thought of.

Very different they are, Texas and Tennessee.

Somewhat regrettably, in the musical vein, Texas makes me think along the lines of "The Yellow Rose of...", or perhaps "The eyes of ..." (*) and even more regretably, somthing along the lines of "All my exes live in ...".

"Driving in Texas" makes me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZFq3UhKuc&list=PLE9EEA8A76C88AC1F

Start at 6:30 in.

Either that, or lots of full-size pickups in heavy traffic.

* "The Eyes of Texas" is a college football thing - for those who like "hook 'em horns".

Archived