The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving in Texas (Now back in the UK)

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I have driven in the US before but only in New England (and very rural New York). Before I went I checked up on what I needed to know about driving there and although I hadn't driven an automatic before (bought one on return home!) it was fine.

Later in this month I'm going to Houston to spend just over a week with my son. He is in Calgary at University and has, has a week without lectures, and wanted to see Texas and asked if I wanted to join him.

I have rented a car for our time there.

I have looked up driving rules for Texas and only seem to find lots of statutes written in legal language.

So as RMwebbers seem to be a well travelled group of people I was wondering if there is anything special or odd about driving in Texas (4 way junctions, turning right at red etc) 

Thanks 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've been to Texas a few times but not since 2004. Like a lot of places in America you get a flashing amber in the centre of some intersections - just take care and give way etc.  Don't forget that as in all America and Canada now you can turn right on a red light unless it says you can't(!) or unless there are pedestrians using the crosswalk just as you go tound the corner.

One thing we don't have in UK is where the Interstate is paralleled  by the local road.  eg I-20 is mostly two lanes each way, with the 'state road' (NN) either side.  When you come to a junction, traffic coming off the Interstate hammers down the slip road to join the local road and the ex-Interstate traffic has priority.  There should be give way lines etc but it isn't always clear.

The only odd thing I remember was there seem to be quite a few signs saying 'Obey Traffic Signs - It's The Law'  which led me to wonder if there are some places where it's legal to disobey road signs.

Make sure you stop at a stop sign. Its first come first served when it comes to who moves off. I have driven in Texas on several occasions, IIRC the speed limit is generally 55mph on the dual carriageways. I've driven around the Sherman and Fort Worth  and Dallas areas mainly.

I can't remember anything unusual in the Texas driving laws, Tony, but then I'm used to North American laws in general. You are allowed a right turn on red, after a full stop and unless specifically prohibited. 4-ways are treated as everywhere else - leave in the order in which you arrive.

The big thing I find about driving in Houston is the toll roads, of which there are several. If the rental company offers you a transponder (for a small fee), I would say 'Take it'. It allows you to drive through portals on the roads without stopping. If you don't have one, you have to line up to pass through manual pay gates, and the queues can be pretty long at busy times. It does mean you will get a charge to your credit card some time after you return the car, for the tolls recorded against the transponder, but I think it's worth it

Another thing about Houston roads - other than high-rise buildings, the three-level interchanges are the highest points in the city - it is flat, flat, flat!

• RMweb Gold
I can't remember anything unusual in the Texas driving laws, Tony, but then I'm used to North American laws in general. You are allowed a right turn on red, after a full stop and unless specifically prohibited. 4-ways are treated as everywhere else - leave in the order in which you arrive.The big thing I find about driving in Houston is the toll roads, of which there are several. If the rental company offers you a transponder (for a small fee), I would say 'Take it'. It allows you to drive through portals on the roads without stopping. If you don't have one, you have to line up to pass through manual pay gates, and the queues can be pretty long at busy times. It does mean you will get a charge to your credit card some time after you return the car, for the tolls recorded against the transponder, but I think it's worth itAnother thing about Houston roads - other than high-rise buildings, the three-level interchanges are the highest points in the city - it is flat, flat, flat!

I'm flying into Miami in a couple of weeks and driving across to the West Coast, the advice above re the transponder is spot on saves a lot of hassle.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all.

I didn't know about the interstate paralleled with less roads rule but I'm glad Texas is similar to what I had experienced before.  When I was in Connecticut I did get lots of reminders that stop meant stop from my friend who worked for the local police and sent out all the traffic violation notices.

The hire car has an "automatic opt in" to the toll system in Texas. I will confirm that at the collection desk though.

I've reserved a Ford Focus (or "similar" )so that should be able to cope with the terrain,

Tony

Not all States and Cities allow turn right against the Red Light (after coming to a complete halt). New York City doesn't and it doesn't mention it at intersections, either. It is wise to check.

I can't remember the last time I drove in Texas so I can't help.

Someone suggested checking with whoever you are renting from, which is a good idea.

Some have very tough anti-drink driving rules like Arizona where a first offence means you will end up in a jail for ten days coupled with a $7,000.00 fine.

Best, Pete.

PS Every State treats STOP signs seriously - if you are caught going through one without stopping it is treated as if you have run a red light.

• RMweb Gold

Some have very tough anti-drink driving rules like Arizona where a first offence means you will end up in a jail for ten days coupled with a $7,000.00 fine.

Best, Pete.

PS Every State treats STOP signs seriously - if you are caught going through one without stopping it is treated as if you have run a red light.

The Texas laws about drink driving seem similar to here but I don't think I'll be doing any drinking of alcohol anyway on this visit. Matthew is 20 so he can't drink in the US so I'll probably be consuming Diet Cola.

Tony

One thing we don't have in UK is where the Interstate is paralleled  by the local road.  eg I-20 is mostly two lanes each way, with the 'state road' (NN) either side.  When you come to a junction, traffic coming off the Interstate hammers down the slip road to join the local road and the ex-Interstate traffic has priority.  There should be give way lines etc but it isn't always clear.

This is the most important thing you need to know about driving in Texas. In the cities the highways are paralleled along their full length with access roads.

(Think of quadrupled rail lines with express lines inside the local lines.)

This is also done for highways that are technically not part of the Federal interstate highway system.

Businesses will have an address, not on a local street, but on the highway itself - which really means the access road beside the highway. Often, you have to drive past your destination, exit at the next off ramp and continue to proceed away from your destination until you can make a U-turn (left), either over or under the highway, from the left hand side of the access road.

Sometimes an astonishing amount of concrete is dedicated to this infrastructure. You'll see this in the big Texas cities - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.

In places like Austin you might find yourself on what feels like a major highway with two lanes in each direction and a median only to find yourself confronted by traffic lights when the 'freeway' section of the road ends.

• RMweb Gold

I found that even in smaller or rural areas the freeways are still often parrallelled by a local road. This can sometimes make it a bit more difficult if your hotel is along one of these roads, so if you miss the correct junction you have to go back down the other side, over/ under the free way and back along the local road.

Its a few years since we stayed in Houston area so there are trams in the centre to deal with aswell.

Ian

I found that even in smaller or rural areas the freeways are still often parrallelled by a local road. This can sometimes make it a bit more difficult if your hotel is along one of these roads, so if you miss the correct junction you have to go back down the other side, over/ under the free way and back along the local road.

Its a few years since we stayed in Houston area so there are trams in the centre to deal with aswell.

Ian

These parallel roads are nearly always called 'Frontage Road'  and is the answer to the trivia question 'What's the name of the longest road in the US?'

• RMweb Premium

Signs may or may not be adequate.  We use our GPS a lot in the states.

When we were in Houston, we found the Frontage Road was one way each side of the highway.  There were very confusing junctions to get on and off the Interstate. You will need a navigator; an additional road sign reader wouldn't go amiss.  If you are offered a GPS, take it. And put the car rental place in it first thing.

But don't trust the GPS totally. We were at one campground that said that in their notes; we followed the GPS back once and were brought to their back (closed) gate.

Galveston is interesting. A day trip from Houston. Four years ago they were starting to recover from a major flood, but still hospitable.

The space center was an interesting visit then but that was when it was operating.

• RMweb Gold

Some Tom Tom SAt Navs have North American maps in them or you can buy and download them which may be cheaper than hiring one if you already own one.

Just bear in mind that any extras you take up on your car rental are also subject to all the extra taxes so your extras bill will always be higher than you expect.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago, we drove to Shiner, TX to visit the brewery. We got held up enroute by the Cavalry and a wagon train going down the road!!

Anyway, we got to the brewery... they dont sell beer to visitors there (part of the wierd alcohol laws I believe).

When we asked where we could buy their beer, they told us that the closest place wasnt in a bar in town but the gas station on the edge of town. Not only could you buy bottles but you could pour yourself a draft beer and sit there in the gas station whilst your vehicle was being filled by leaving the nozzle on the click!

All very wierd for us ifrom the Uk considering that their drink drive limits are tougher than ours.

I did have a beer but then I my other half was drving from there passing the cavalry and wagon train on the way back!!

Ian

post-1557-0-98717000-1359784142_thumb.jpg

This may also be relevant for Tony - is there some kind of law/statute in the US regarding passing stopped yellow school buses when they're setting down/picking up children?

I was in Colorado a few years ago and I remember being unsure, for some reason, about doing this. Maybe it was a kind of sign that hung out from the bus when stopped.

• RMweb Gold

This may also be relevant for Tony - is there some kind of law/statute in the US regarding passing stopped yellow school buses when they're setting down/picking up children?

I was in Colorado a few years ago and I remember being unsure, for some reason, about doing this. Maybe it was a kind of sign that hung out from the bus when stopped.

I'm certain that the not passing parked school bus rules apply throughout the US.

Lived and worked in Hpuston for 8 months. It's simples. Dm if you have any specific questions. Otherwise:

Same as driving in CA. All interstates in the city have parallel local access roads. Keep your doors locked at all times. Right on light is legal unless noted in the intersection.

Yellow school buses, or anything not yellow but with a sign saying it is a school bus, must not be passed in either direction when stopped and the red lights are flashing, If spotted by the police or sheriff you will get a hefty fine. However if you are on a divided highway (dual carriageway) and on the other side going the other way you don't need to stop. School buses, public buses, trucks and some other vehicles stop at level crossings even on green - this strikes me as a strange safety rule as the vehicle is more likely to stall and get stuck on the rails when pulling away than when coasting over......

The US is big into 'States Rights', they had a war about it some time ago! This can extend to traffic laws and road markings to a minor extent. When my daughter was learning to drive in Indiana she was taught to pull into the left lane on an interstate when passing an on ramp - this is regardless of whether there is traffic coming on and results in the drivers entering the interstate assuming that everthing will move out of the way!

Beware of roundabouts (traffic circles) they have started replacing a few 4-way stops where I live and many US drivers don't really understand them. Most seem to have a Yield sign for traffic entering so if you are already on it you have right of way (just like the UK) but these sometimes get ignored.

Traffic lights are relatively straightforward except they go directly from red to green, many have filters and some say yield on green for traffic turning left, There is no left on red but as mentioned earlier right on red is normal in most states unless it says otherwise.

Beware of speeding on the interstate, especially when crossing state lines as the cops often hide just over the line - usual interstate speed is 70, you are ok up to about 76.

• RMweb Gold

Lived and worked in Hpuston for 8 months. It's simples. Dm if you have any specific questions. Otherwise:

Same as driving in CA. All interstates in the city have parallel local access roads. Keep your doors locked at all times. Right on light is legal unless noted in the intersection.

It looks as if I shall be driving in Alberta in early April too (but not from Texas). I know the weather is still interesting then but it is the only time we can visit Matthew while he is still in Canada.

Tony

It looks as if I shall be driving in Alberta in early April too (but not from Texas). I know the weather is still interesting then but it is the only time we can visit Matthew while he is still in Canada.

Tony

Driving in AB: throw every thing you've ever learned about motoring out the window. Start over, pray a lot, and good luck. simple rules are:

50km = 50 km. 100km = warp 9. Right on red after stop unless its a dual lane turn. Left on red if its curb lane to curb lane turn.

Most drivers in AB come from somewhere else:

No indicator and stop siigns optional= Quebecois

Pickup with no lights or markers and a big gun rack = Sask

BMW with attitude and straddling both lanes = Ontario

Toyota Prius filled with granola nibblers doing 30km/h in a 110 zone = British Columbia

Big ugly Queen Mary sized boat-mobile wandering all over the road and doing 40km/h = moron with no driving skills from some crappy hick town.

BTW: for school bus just look at the lights. The rules are simple. if there is an extended stop sign on the bus and 4 way flashing lights, then you stop regardless. If its in the same direction as you are travelling and stopped with just yellow flashing lights, then you don't overtakes. simples.

You are right - and many rental cars do have out of state plates.  I-10 through the Gulf states is notorious and well portrayed in Top Gear......

Too true. most times the rentals I had in Houston had either CA or LA plates. The rental desk at IAB warned me not to enter Louisianna due to over zealous local sheriffs looking to make a profit from seizing out of state vehicles. If I needed to drive there they'd change the vehicle for one with LA plates if required.

Archived