GWR and LMS joint running powers

Michael Woolford

Hi all,

I am looking to model a prototype location and I would like to model somewhere with joint running powers (GWR and LMS) does anyone have any suggestions of a suitable location or perhaps be able to point me towards any research material?

Just as a note, I have room for 15 foot in length and I don't think width will be an issue. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Michael

I don't actually have a preference, I've always liked the idea of a main line terminus but I think that would be in many years to come if I were ever to attempt it. The theme of a branch line terminus especially GWR I feel has been done to death but a joint terminus or even a terminus with a junction is a possibility as it offers something different to the norm. I would also consider a main line through station, but as I said to start with, I have no preference. All suggestions will be considered if they are practical so I'm sure there are a wide range of possibilities.

Gloucester to Bristol main line via Wickwar and Yate was LMS GWR joint at least as far south as Westerleigh - LMS buldings and signals etc - GWR had running rights but trains from all regions used this line especially trains from North East cities to South West resorts. You could run almost anything on this line.

Severn Beach line - LMS infrastructure with LMS or GWR loco's. Often GWR small prairies on secondary passenger services until DMUs, and GWR 2-8-0s on goods out of Avonmouth. Some Halls and other GWR loco's on excursions. Some trains did a round Robin using Severn Beach line to Avonmouth and then GWR loop line via Henbury to Filton. Not sure what the weight limit was on Severn Beach line. The branch at one time had a way out of Severn Beach onto GWR line at Pilning.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OP says a mainline terminus so I would suggest that Birkenhead Woodside could be favourite given the size of room (I'm assuming 4mm scale as OP does not specify). A bit restricted on loco types for LMS - a wider selection post-nationalisation.

If the room big enough, Woodside could be arranged as a "Maurice Deane" style layout with a continuous run around the outside of the room representing the freight lines to the Docks and also a representation of Rock Ferry with a shuttle of Mersey Rly units. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gloucester to Bristol main line via Wickwar and Yate was LMS GWR joint at least as far south as Westerleigh - LMS buldings and signals etc - GWR had running rights but trains from all regions used this line especially trains from North East cities to South West resorts. You could run almost anything on this line.

Severn Beach line - LMS infrastructure with LMS or GWR loco's. Often GWR small prairies on secondary passenger services until DMUs, and GWR 2-8-0s on goods out of Avonmouth. Some Halls and other GWR loco's on excursions. Some trains did a round Robin using Severn Beach line to Avonmouth and then GWR loop line via Henbury to Filton. Not sure what the weight limit was on Severn Beach line. The branch at one time had a way out of Severn Beach onto GWR line at Pilning.

And apparently Somerset & Dorset 7Fs worked over this line to Avonmouth, although I've never seen a photo.

• RMweb Premium

If the room big enough, Woodside could be arranged as a "Maurice Deane" style layout with a continuous run around the outside of the room representing the freight lines to the Docks and also a representation of Rock Ferry with a shuttle of Mersey Rly units. 

Perhaps you could elaborate on what a Maurice Deane layout is like. I knew him slightly (I understand he died about 8 years ago) but I didn't know there was type of layout named in his honour.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you could elaborate on what a Maurice Deane layout is like. I knew him slightly (I understand he died about 8 years ago) but I didn't know there was type of layout named in his honour.

It was probably Cyril Freezer that coined the expression. The Deane design (which CJF often used and features in some of his plan books) is a terminus to fiddle yard layout which runs round the room so that the fiddle yard is behind the station. It makes good use of the full length of the room. It is convenient for the sole operator and also means that the baseboards along the other three sides of the room can be very narrow which is sometimes useful in a multi-use space. But the real advantage is that you can put in a short link which makes a continuous run. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on total space available (I've drawn this for 15' x 8' in OO), it might be better to have fiddle yard and/or a reversing loop at lower level rather than behind station lines - Deane-style. Also needs some loops on the freight lines to changeover trains to/from the Docks.

post-14663-0-42426500-1360066695_thumb.jpg

Some lines in the Midlands were London Midland but were taken over by the W.Region so this gives some interesting liveries on signalboxes and stations. Where 2Fs once reigned let there be panniers and so-on. But another idea is to not follow a particlar prototype but to build two branchline stations side by side...one Western and 'tother London Midland in South Wales, or even a small railway junction station with the mainline one company and the branch another company but which shared joint status due to some agreement in the dim and distant past.

Whilst it wouldnt allow a Castle double heading a Beyer-Garratt, some sensible motive power options could be available depending on your chosen part of the country.

Edited by coachmann

North to west route between Shrewsbury to Pontypool road, All the big GWR locos plus LM jubilees, patriots, scots, black 5s, 8Fs, Ivatt 2MT, crabs & once a Coronation. Mixture of GWR and LM stock plus some NE. Plenty of goods traffis and as an added bonus plenty of LNWR stuff as well. I can recommend any of the North to West books by John Hodge. Loads of inspiration and quite a few good modelable locations.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

West London Railway, LNWR and GWR or for added spice the West London Extension Railway LNWR, GWR, LSWR and LBSCR. No terminus stations but the range of locomotives and stock over this line was immense.

At West Brompton, one can even add the District as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two South Wales suggestions -

Terminal: Merthyr - pre-Grouping six companies worked in, including the LNW Heads of the Valleys route, a goods shed nearby but other goods traffic handled elsewhere and it was a quite big station with a Brunel overall roof

Through: Nine Mile Point: end on junction between the LNWR and GWR, a lot of through coal; trains as the GWR used this route for its bigger engines that couldn't use Crumlin viaduct

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3 Comapnies on this one from 1909,  guess that would be only 2 by the time of big 4

No, still 3, viz GWR, LMS (instead of Midland), and Severn & Wye Joint (part maintained by the GWR and worked according to GWR Rules & Regs, part maintained by the LMS and worked according to LMS Rules & Regs).  Prresumably the Joint arrangement  ceased to exist w.e.f. 01 January 1948 like the M&GN?