Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Silly question time...

How do you all store your stock boxes?  

For my N-Gauge stock I've ended up making custom storage boxes out of chipboard that fit nicely into an IKEA Ivar shelving unit, that are different sizes to suit different styles of box (seeing as Farish now use 2 different sizes, and so do Dapol).  

With my growing collection of 00 cluttering up the floor, I think it's time to start considering storage, and before I go and build something for myself, wanted to check there isn't a ready made solution available...

• RMweb Premium

Silly question time...

How do you all store your stock boxes?  

For my N-Gauge stock I've ended up making custom storage boxes out of chipboard that fit nicely into an IKEA Ivar shelving unit, that are different sizes to suit different styles of box (seeing as Farish now use 2 different sizes, and so do Dapol).  

With my growing collection of 00 cluttering up the floor, I think it's time to start considering storage, and before I go and build something for myself, wanted to check there isn't a ready made solution available...

Now that IS a very topical question for me, too!

I've got a collection of large, sealable, stackable plastic containers and each has a theme eg. ballast / flock / plastikard etc. They were all nicely stacked in the old railway room awaiting transfer to the bunker at a later date. With the demolition going on at the moment all that stuff has taken up residence in another bedroom.

All my locos are stored in display cabinets (see eg. post 1982) - not for display as such, but to keep them out of the boxes they were supplied in (which can often cause problems) and in a dust-free environment. 

I could easily fit some shelving under the subframe of KL, and once things are settled down that's probably what I'll do.

The amazing thing is how much stuff you accumulate!

Jeff

You all need to see this. Brian Harrap has handbuilt T GAUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/page-11

We really are not worthy.

Jason

I've just had a look, and after I picked myself up off the floor.....................................................................

• RMweb Premium

You all need to see this. Brian Harrap has handbuilt T GAUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/page-11

We really are not worthy.

That is SERIOUSLY impressive! The man must have the eyes of a hawk and a surgeon's steady hand!

Jeff

No comment from AndyP yet re. Brian's T-gauge track. Not sure what he'll say when he sees it.... Andy could start envisaging building the ECML in T for his "last great project"....  :O

Jeff

I still need to look at the link as my Flip Flop is busy tring to write a DVD but if I went T Gauge it would have to be the London Underground :O .

BY THE WAY I AM BACK :no: :no: :no:

I have had a busy day and I am off to the club later to get PLASTERED AGAIN, just another hillside to do tonight :stinker:

Bodgit the Mod Rocker :sungum: and builder of stone walls, but don't tell Jeff :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Going off at an angle now..... I have some old W/metal kits that haven't been available for years, and I want to make some spare parts for them. I want a chinmey, dome and safety valve cover for another kit.

The obvious way is to take moulds and cast them, but having tried in the past to make moulds, and not being overly sucessful I was wondering if there is a Lunester that has done it and been successful, who could give me some advice (or if they are daft enough do it for me!!)

Anyone?

Andy G

Hi all, Here are the pics of my stock boxes as promised.

The first is the stack I use for Glen Roy at shows, it holds the 5 locos in one tray and the coaches and wagons etc in the other three.

post-9335-0-09079700-1361994604_thumb.jpg

The next one is the box I use if I need to take more, it is an old Photographic Slides Box, I have lined it with plasticard and devided it into 5 sections for long locos.

post-9335-0-62713900-1361994623_thumb.jpg

The next is the same type but devided into 5 shorter sections to hold things the size of Black 5, Standards ect, and one the other way so it holds 6 locos

post-9335-0-24923600-1361994642_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like if you see any for sale, I have had mine since I was at school some 45 years ago. (I never throw anything away)

post-9335-0-39005400-1361994665_thumb.jpg

The last is a plastic tray from the likes of Staples Office Supplies and a friend has made up some foam and had it cut into the right width for N Gauge stock and I can get 2 layers in one tray, and the lid is a clip fit for saftey

post-9335-0-34601800-1361994681_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

Bodgit :sungum:

I did not mean HELP SOMEONE BODGIT :no:

• RMweb Premium

Well, I suppose he already has the dungeon sorted...

Indeed I have!! 

So we'll be having no insubordination  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: , or I'll have to apply the weapons of torture.... the hot (soldering) iron, the razor saw, the high speed drill bit... :devil:  :crazy:

So BEHAVE!!! :sungum:

:angel: As if I'd be a nasty pasty??!! :angel:  :no:

Jeff

ps. this post resembles one of Bodgits!! It's not quite as CRAZY!  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Indeed I have!! 

So we'll be having no insubordination  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: , or I'll have to apply the weapons of torture.... the hot (soldering) iron, the razor saw, the high speed drill bit... :devil:  :crazy:

So BEHAVE!!! :sungum:

:angel: As if I'd be a nasty pasty??!! :angel:  :no:

Jeff

ps. this post resembles one of Bodgits!! It's not quite as CRAZY!  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I AM NOT CRAZY i am a Lunester.

It bodge

Indeed I have!! 

So we'll be having no insubordination  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: , or I'll have to apply the weapons of torture.... the hot (soldering) iron, the razor saw, the high speed drill bit... :devil:

And for the really naughty, the comfy chair! (That is, the comfy chair in front of the wall assembly station - 2ft for a first offence...)

• RMweb Premium

Well done Michael. This is your moment of glory!! Just wait 'til Bodgit see this! Within 30 minutes he'll have conjured up the 30 mark!

Btw - I assume you had a day off today? Up late playing trains and now spending all your time posting. Hope your boss or OH doesn't see this or it'll be the end for you!!

Jeff

And btw2 ... is it me, or is it creepily quiet today?

Indeed, he will, though I fear Stationmaster will have beaten us all on quality.

No, day at work, but concentration on work things is rather hard given the late night.  So I've been sneaking on here from time to time...

And yes, very quiet, it's almost as if the good weather has dragged people outside to do other things...

I have been outside and in the Polytunnel so had very little time to look or post on here, just having a quick look now before continuing drawing up the Engine shed, not an easy task when there is so little to go on.

I'm nowhere near getting into the top 20 today, Oh well not to worry there's always tomorrow - I'll probably say the same then. :mosking:

Jim

What have you been doing in the polytunnel Jim?  Tidying ready for the new season, or getting things planted and sown already?  I've still got to finish clearing away the debris from last years clear out of the shrubbery!

I seem to remember you saying you're a member of the LDWA, are you going to be doing the Golden Fleece on Saturday?

Archived