Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

As seen in my thread, but I am really chuffed with how these turned out (and I will be more chuffed if I manage to get them looking right when painted) so I'm popping them up here as well. I fashioned bolts out of Microstrip for some gates that are almost out of view :D

Shopandgates002_zpsd896e2fa.jpg

As seen in my thread, but I am really chuffed with how these turned out (and I will be more chuffed if I manage to get them looking right when painted) so I'm popping them up here as well. I fashioned bolts out of Microstrip for some gates that are almost out of view :D

Shopandgates002_zpsd896e2fa.jpg

Sorry Guys I am going to have to LEAVE THE LUNSTERS, :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  with stuff like this from Jason it's way beyond my level of modelling :O

Worried of Swad, Ex Lune :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  back to Bodgit Land :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Just had a thought; rare I know.

Jeff, how do you intend to operate KL when it's working? Set up representative trains on each on the fiddle yard roads and watch them run, or operate to some form of timetable?

Edited for those b------- line breaks again

Sorry for the extensive delay in replying, Peter. I've been wiring in the bunker and only just noticed your post.

At the moment I've no intention of running to a timetable. Initially I think I'll be pleased to run what you've aptly described as "representative trains". However, once the initial fun starts to wear off I think I'll try something different - maybe a timetable.

I know what Andy would suggest - when the fun wears off, build a new layout. That is certainly possible, but let's not go there just yet.

Your train allocations and coaching arrangements will certainly come in handy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's just scribed Plastikard and bits of Microstrip Andy; a bit fiddly but very easy to do.

Nice bit of work Jason! 

Andy - you have loads of skills that you use without even thinking about them. To others, it's the equivalent of Jason and the structures he makes. As a previous non-scratchbuilder I've found the "have a go and see how you get on" ethos to be a good one. You've shown this on your vids - the classic being chuck a bit of PVA here, some flock there, some static grass here... result = excellent.

Must say, Jason - you are a very patient man!

Jeff

Sorry Guys I am going to have to LEAVE THE LUNSTERS, :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  with stuff like this from Jason it's way beyond my level of modelling :O

Worried of Swad, Ex Lune :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  back to Bodgit Land :scared:

Andy

We will not be letting you leave, we will hold you hostage, other Lunesters realise your so called bodgit modelling skills are of a far greater quality, we could probably rent you out to show some of us mere mortals how its really done  :no:

• RMweb Gold

Jeff for KL I reckon you should work out a sequence of representative trains. No worry about timings or the fact that a particular loco was last seen heading to scotland etc.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Yet again I seem to have missed out on a really interesting discussion, grrr!

It's funny, I haven't been to an exhibition for 25 years, and have booked the day off to go to ally's pally, but am having two minds about it. The cost to get there will be the best part of £50 alone (no staff discount for me!) so I suppose it's the best part of £100 if I find some junk to buy. I'm not sure I can afford it.

I personally have started to 'play trains' once a month at a colleagues. It's a continental 7mm narrow gauge layount that has 10 stations and is basically a very long spiral from knee height to face height (I'm over 6 foot). Its run to a timetable with each movement being a scale 3mins, so you are playing against the clock. It works well, but it needs two to operate (I still don't quite understand some of it, but it is getting easier). I enjoy the day nicely.

I found an interesting article on time in the MRC, and it put forward that scale time should be based on distance and not time.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Don't start thinking about scale time the model might be to scale but you are not. The best way to think of it is compressing time. Just as we compress the length of a station in our models we also need to compress the time when operating either to overcome shortened distances between stations or gaps when nothing is happening.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Just back from watching a musical version of Beauty and the Beast.

An enthralling performance by a young talented cast.

Edited by Western Sunset, Yesterday, 23:41 .

There's something different about live music performances. I'm not keen on musicals myself, but put me in a theatre or village hall with a live show and I'd enjoy it. Although I'd never listen to a cd of jazz, put a band on stage and I'd listen all night.

• RMweb Premium

After all that, I got them wrong. The diagonals ran the wrong way, as pointed out by Paul (Wordsell Forever) so I made a second set. Lesson learned is no matter how trivial you think something is, check out the real thing first. D'oh.

New ones are at the bottom, took me an hour to remake.

Shopandgates_zps334f42ff.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yet again I seem to have missed out on a really interesting discussion, grrr!

It's funny, I haven't been to an exhibition for 25 years, and have booked the day off to go to ally's pally, but am having two minds about it. The cost to get there will be the best part of £50 alone (no staff discount for me!) so I suppose it's the best part of £100 if I find some junk to buy. I'm not sure I can afford it.

I personally have started to 'play trains' once a month at a colleagues. It's a continental 7mm narrow gauge layount that has 10 stations and is basically a very long spiral from knee height to face height (I'm over 6 foot). Its run to a timetable with each movement being a scale 3mins, so you are playing against the clock. It works well, but it needs two to operate (I still don't quite understand some of it, but it is getting easier). I enjoy the day nicely.

I found an interesting article on time in the MRC, and it put forward that scale time should be based on distance and not time.

Andy

Day off? Ally Pally? Go on, Andy. Treat yourself and have a great day out. 

Andy

Scale time, scale distance :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Just thinking about it will make your head hurt, Jeff.

Sorry for the extensive delay in replying, Peter. I've been wiring in the bunker and only just noticed your post.

At the moment I've no intention of running to a timetable. Initially I think I'll be pleased to run what you've aptly described as "representative trains". However, once the initial fun starts to wear off I think I'll try something different - maybe a timetable.

I know what Andy would suggest - when the fun wears off, build a new layout. That is certainly possible, but let's not go there just yet.

Your train allocations and coaching arrangements will certainly come in handy!

Jeff

What fascinates me about timetables and model railways, Jeff,  is not whether trains run in scale time or not, it's about departures and arrivals, where trains are going to or coming from and why, what gets picked up and what gets dumped and how those myriad of things all sequences together. That will keep you amused forever..... :O

Sorry Guys I am going to have to LEAVE THE LUNSTERS, :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: with stuff like this from Jason it's way beyond my level of modelling :O

Worried of Swad, Ex Lune :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: back to Bodgit Land :scared:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

How will the rest of us get to see the magc of Mr Bodgit's trickery wonderful illusions?

Fascinated Lune

Well all, mustn't hang around here too long.  Promised myself I'd get started on some kit building.  Don't worry.  Nothing too complicated to start with.  See how I get on before I post anything. :scratchhead:

Enjoy your day. All

• RMweb Premium

Jeff for KL I reckon you should work out a sequence of representative trains. No worry about timings or the fact that a particular loco was last seen heading to scotland etc.

Don

Don, I think that's the way to go. It'll be fun assembling the required trains - though some more locos and coaches will need to be bought. Timing is a bit unreal at times on the model. And can you visualise the farcical situation when operating alone.... train leaves the station, start the stopwatch. Stand still for 90 minutes until the next one arrives.....

KL is supposed to be fairly rural, so it'd be unlikely to be busy anyway.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Don, I think that's the way to go. It'll be fun assembling the required trains - though some more locos and coaches will need to be bought. Timing is a bit unreal at times on the model. And can you visualise the farcical situation when operating alone.... train leaves the station, start the stopwatch. Stand still for 90 minutes until the next one arrives.....

KL is supposed to be fairly rural, so it'd be unlikely to be busy anyway.

Jeff

Jeff,

As to length of trains in the station.  One of the first pictures in Mace's book I recommended to Michael shows a train with the first two carriages off the end of the platform.  This was in Wales but I know that was, and is still done where some platforms are shorter than others.  Just a thought.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Don't start thinking about scale time the model might be to scale but you are not. The best way to think of it is compressing time. Just as we compress the length of a station in our models we also need to compress the time when operating either to overcome shortened distances between stations or gaps when nothing is happening.

Don

There was an extensive discussion about this on the Forum last summer. Caused quite a bit of disagreement/heat!! Link here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62016-scale-time-and-clocks/

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

As to length of trains in the station.  One of the first pictures in Mace's book I recommended to Michael shows a train with the first two carriages off the end of the platform.  This was in Wales but I know that was, and is still done where some platforms are shorter than others.  Just a thought.

They could probably get away with it in the 60s. Imagine if it was done now - someone steps out of a carriage, scrapes their leg and sues for a miilion pounds!!

Nice to know it happened, Chris. That might allow me to up from 4 to 5 coaches....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

After all that, I got them wrong. The diagonals ran the wrong way, as pointed out by Paul (Wordsell Forever) so I made a second set. Lesson learned is no matter how trivial you think something is, check out the real thing first. D'oh.

New ones are at the bottom, took me an hour to remake.

Shopandgates_zps334f42ff.jpg

Jason,

I did wonder if that was the case but the model was so brilliant that I did not want to 'knock' it for what caould be called a trivial detail.  Why trivial?  If you google it although some/most are the way up you have now made them there are others the way you first made them.

There was a comment in the 009 mag that said that people could not model them the right way up, but then went on to say that people in real life did not know the right way either!  If that is the case then prototype is the cross beams going whichever way you think at the time, except you need to remember the right way round when you put a gate up in the garden. (says he who can see a gate he hung the wrong way up!)

• RMweb Gold

They could probably get away with it in the 60s. Imagine if it was done now - someone steps out of a carriage, scrapes their leg and sues for a miilion pounds!!

Nice to know it happened, Chris. That might allow me to up from 4 to 5 coaches....

Jeff

Jeff,

It still does.  I am sure I was on a 'big train' recently when they said the back carriages were not for a certain station but it definately happened on a tube train to Nothwick Park, where the front carriage was past the end of the platfrom.

The advantage being nowadays is that they do not open the carriage doors where you cannot get out.

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder at first whether I should just go with the originals, especially as these gates are tucked away in the back corner but I knew that it would bug me forever more so I had no choice really :)

I did wonder at first whether I should just go with the originals, especially as these gates are tucked away in the back corner but I knew that it would bug me forever more so I had no choice really :)

I can't fault you there Jason, I would be the same. Mind you if those gates were on the front of my layout I would have been tempted to get the bolts to work :jester:

Great detail though, I love it.

Jim

The correct title for the bit you put in backwards is a 'loose brace'.  A proper chippie would build the gate without the brace, supplying it loose.  On site the gate was hung then the brace trimmed and fitted afterwards, just slightly oversize so the weight of the gate compressed it, ensuring it hung true.

• RMweb Premium

Jason - YOU could NEVER go on with the originals. It would have driven you mad. I think a few of us are like that... I can still recall that there's a tear on a page on "Canyons on Mars" on p.225 of a book I bought in 1983. It used to drive me mad - should I replace the book or not? Sad, eh?

No - you did the right thing!

Jeff

Archived