Ghost Signs

Hi, Job,

They are not too difficult to make yourself........

If the surface they are on is a convenient separate' area, or just one wall. scan the relevant texture sheet into a image manipulating programme, add printed lettering with a measure of transparency and then print out the sheet so that the writing is in the right place, like the example below of the former Ringwell Alarm Clock factory...

post-106-0-14079900-1360352324.jpg

Hope this helps,

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the historian bit. I just photograph things, and leave it up to others to argue about interpretation... Btw there is location information for some of the images in the tags, but not as much as there should be.

Thanks

Dave

That's great, Dave. You realise of course, in your own modest way you are a a historian? The 'Rubber Mat' manufacturer's sign must have needed a very skilled man to paint it.

Doug

I agree with Doug. 

Loved your Flickr set. Will also have a look at your London pictures. Saw there was a lot of detail information to find for me. I mostly use black and white pictures as a reference. Those color pictures can help me to give my urban layouts the right impression.

Saw also so very nice signs.

Job

I do it this way:

- I download a picture from internet

- I cut the advert out of the picture

- I copy it to Word. Re-size the picture. A stone in OO gauge is 1 mm high as a reference

- Then I print it out to see of the result can satisfy me.

A photo program can do the same I think. But I'm not handy enough with my photo program.

The get a picture of  the re-sized advert is possible by using Publisher.

In the picture just an other one I like.

post-11675-0-07149900-1360590132.jpg

Regards,

Job

Hullo, Job,

Here is an idea of what you can do by.........

1. Choosing a picture [alter it if you want to to Job's Custard etc!]

2. Scan a brickpaper and open in a simple image processing system

3. Apply a pale rectangular background and paste your picture on top

4. Increase transparency of your picture and selectively erase

.......then use the sheet as part of a building/wall etc.

Hope this is of interest,

post-106-0-18169100-1360597355_thumb.jpg

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I do like those personalized signs for a layout.

Will give it a try in the future.

For the moment I will be focused on my diorama "Urban Scene".

I hope your looking to my thread by boxfiles, micro layouts and diorama's.

Always appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Job

Hello Doug,

Thanks for the reply and the link of the EWS signs.

Hope you like the way I try to create a diorama.

I like the idea of using an EWS sign in the diorama.

It looks like they were painted, so I think I will make it with a pastel pencil and tone it down with a cotton bud.

Could make one on the side wall of the glass merchant.

Where they all painted yellow (most of the pictures) or can you also use an other color, for instance dark grey or black.

Can you give me some more information on this sign, I found on the net.

Is it also possible to use a sign like this?

post-11675-0-14778900-1360683772_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Job

That is an interesting one, isn't it? EWSs or 'static water tanks' were made in a number of ways, I read somewhere that even large cellars were deliberately flooded to make reservoirs, or wooden, canvas lined dams created in industrial yards. Perhaps this sign was one such?

I have seen yellow and white signs, but whether the white was a faded yellow, I can't recall. I can't remember a black sign, probably because it would have been difficult to see in the dark?

Also, a large rectangle painted underneath/beside the EWS showed that it was a surface tank, and a circle showed it was a well and needed a longer suction hose.

When I went to a Naval engineering school in the early 60s, there were both above ground and underground water tanks for fire-fighting purposes, the camp was built on a steep hillside.

Doug

Thanks for the answer.

I have found a picture that I can use to create a sign on block wall.

Think an EWS could be placed in my "industrial" setting with a railway running through.

I believe those arches could  also been have used to create shelters.

What about this one. Can I put the arrow to wards the viaduct.

post-11675-0-37651700-1360688487.jpg

Job

• RMweb Premium

Bombed out basements were used for emergency water supplies. IIRC there is a photo of such in front of St. Pauls cathedral. Some were a metal frame supporting a canvas 'bag' some of which could be carried on a flatbed lorry.

Coming out of London Bridge heading towards Greenwich if one looks down on the river side there are still shelter signs on some of the older houses.  Will try & get a snap on one of my trips down that way.

As an aside, Chubber, when they drained the EWS at my barracks in Germany it was found to be full of bicycles pinched down town by inebriated soldiers on nights out & more worryingly an awful lot of ammunition which had been found after end of exercise declarations of free from explosives.  Not sure if the propellant was soluble in water, but when we did have a fire once (someone broke into the Regimental dining room on Christmas Eve to make an egg banjo & left the gas on) I was plenty relieved that the jets from the hoses didn't ignite!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Job,

Watching all with interest...I think a EWS ghost sign pointing around a corner will look good in your urban environment, too.

Doug

I made my EWS sign.

Used a picture from Flickr as a reference.

Made a counting mistake in the high above ground level on my model wall.

Sign should be 3 stones higher.

The sign is made with pastel and normal color pencils.

Hope you like it.

post-11675-0-40250600-1362250801_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Job

Well, it certainly looks the part, Job.

If I may be extremely 'picky' [i don't know how that translates in Dutch...kieskeurig?] I'd say that the signs were painted in this order....

1.  black paint applied over the whole area to give a contrasting background

2.  lettering painted on top in white paint to show up in the darkness

This would mean that as the white paint wore away there would be black paint underneath, and as the black wore away there would be red brick underneath. It doesn't look as that would have happened in your example.

Perhaps if you were to shade in the EWS with a white crayon it might look that way?

Please don't be offended, with the high standard of your work, and the atmosphere it evokes I'd feel untruthful if I didn't mention it,

Doug

Doug you are not to "picky'".

The reason I post my efforts is to get better. Positive meant critics helps me to improve my modelling .

Of coarse I like all those positive comments. They are stimulating me to go on.

I did paint the sign as it was in the picture below..

post-11675-0-42641600-1362320282.jpg

But creating a three dimensional picture doesn't mean that what you see on the picture is right on the model.

So I followed your description how the signs ware made. Used a white pastel pencil to create the letters.

post-11675-0-96878900-1362320452_thumb.jpg

I like the result on my diorama / shadowbox.

Hope you like it to.

And please stay "picky" on my modelling.

Regards,

Job 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Job .

I have Posted this site before, you might have missed it. http://www.hatads.org.uk/ as an old signwriter its good to see the old ghost signs this is a fantastic site for all the old signs.

I have used photoshop to recreate a ghost sign on my own layout. Yours is looking good

Doug you are not to "picky'".

The reason I post my efforts is to get better. Positive meant critics helps me to improve my modelling .

Of coarse I like all those positive comments. They are stimulating me to go on.

I did paint the sign as it was in the picture below..

attachicon.gifE.W.S. Ghost sign.jpg

But creating a three dimensional picture doesn't mean that what you see on the picture is right on the model.

So I followed your description how the signs ware made. Used a white pastel pencil to create the letters.

attachicon.gifE.W.S. ghost sign.jpg

I like the result on my diorama / shadowbox.

Hope you like it to.

And please stay "picky" on my modelling.

Regards,

Job 

it's difficult to say you haven't copied the source extremely well, but he amendment looks even better!

Doug

it's difficult to say you haven't copied the source extremely well, but he amendment looks even better!

Doug

I agree with that! Thanks for your advice.

Hi Job .

I have Posted this site before, you might have missed it. http://www.hatads.org.uk/ as an old signwriter its good to see the old ghost signs this is a fantastic site for all the old signs.

I have used photoshop to recreate a ghost sign on my own layout. Yours is looking good

Thanks for the link. Very useful for more advertising information.

Regards,

Job

Archived