Eastney - Modern/Preservation Layout

ianwales

Hi all

Encouraged by the Lunester crowd I have decided to start a new layout thread, for those who haven't seen my previous layout thread here are a couple of views of the layout room.

post-4712-0-29637200-1360599913_thumb.jpg

post-4712-0-42914100-1360599944_thumb.jpg

for those who have seen them previously a quick word of explanation - I discovered that the ECML stations were all either too big for my layout room or didn't have enogh operational scope as well as requiring a vast amount of stock which I would be unlikely to afford to acquire and also I had grand designs of a multi level layout which I now realise would be beyond my skills to achieve, so, I have decide to go back to what is really my first love railwaywise and that is the S&C

i am still looking at a couple of locations at present on or near the S&C - Skipton, Hellifield, Horton in Ribblesdale and Dent Head are all under current consideration along with a couple of non S&C locations Coventry and Oxenholme.

I realised however I didn't need to wait until I had decided where to model before making a trat on the stotage yard which will now be the opposite side of the room to where it was previously so I have installed the turntable, added the loco storage roads and loosley placed the yard approach pointwork in position.

post-4712-0-18459600-1360600547_thumb.jpg

post-4712-0-82376800-1360600577_thumb.jpg

Ian

Hi Ian,

I seem to remember reading a previous thread, I hope this one sees you reaching a design you are happy with.  I like the way you are using the corner of the boards to hold the turntable - it makes good use of an otherwise dead space.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian.

Really glad you've decided to start the thread we've talked about for a while!

You will never be short of Lunester input now - and you had plenty before!!

Are you still thinking of incorporating a viaduct at one end?

Jeff

The turntable in the corner is a nice idea as MichaelW has already mentioned above. Have you had a look at the branchlines around Skipton and surrounding area. Some of them were quite busy feeders for the S&C and were operationally interesting. That's how I found Rishworth. Looking forward to progress!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

The turntable in the corner is a nice idea as MichaelW has already mentioned above. Have you had a look at the branchlines around Skipton and surrounding area. Some of them were quite busy feeders for the S&C and were operationally interesting. That's how I found Rishworth. Looking forward to progress!

Regards

Bill

Rishworth rings a bell, I think the RM did two parts on it in the 60's, which I scanned this week. I'll check if the scans would be any help!

Andy G

Hi Ian;

I thought I recognised that benchwork - I was one of your followers on your "Location Undecided" thread.

Good luck with the re-start; I'm sure you'll find the Lunester support a big help.

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Rishworth rings a bell, I think the RM did two parts on it in the 60's, which I scanned this week. I'll check if the scans would be any help!

Andy G

I was right it did! Mind you it was a L&Y branch that came off the Calder Valley route. I have scans of both parts of the article if anyone wants them.....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Have you thought about the Hope Valley line? You could have the junction to the private cement line, but as normal I can't remember the name of the place. Would be interesting operationally....

Andy

Hi all

Progress report - good and bad - the tracks you can see in the photo are the loco storage roads and I spent a couple of hours this afternoon wiring up each of the sidings and the turntable, the turntable revolves under power and at 1900 this evening Ivatt 4 no 3001 became the first loco to move under power on the layout up and down each road a couple of times, thats the good news, the bad news is about 10 mins before that I tried the Stanier 2-6-4T which moved about 12ins, the slidebar came away and it mangled the valve gear!!!!

Ian

Hi All

Hurrah! for getting things moving!  Always a good sign on a new layout.  Not so hurrah for the broken motion on the Stanier.  Does it look repairable?

I Hope it is repairable, I'm going to get it looked at by the local model shop tomorrow.

Now the storage yard is operational I can't wait to see the rest of it develop.

How bad is the Stanier?

Duncan

It is only the loco storage sidings around the turntable are operational, the storage yard itself is not even laid yet, but I wanted to get each section wired as I lay it in the hope it will spur me on to complete a layout this time.

The stanier - The piston rod has come out of the cylinder and the motion bracket has become detached from the chassis and the slide bars.

ian

Hi All

I Hope it is repairable, I'm going to get it looked at by the local model shop tomorrow.

It is only the loco storage sidings around the turntable are operational, the storage yard itself is not even laid yet, but I wanted to get each section wired as I lay it in the hope it will spur me on to complete a layout this time.

The stanier - The piston rod has come out of the cylinder and the motion bracket has become detached from the chassis and the slide bars.

ian

Hi Ian, Send it back to Hornby / Bachmann, they will do it and PROBABLY AT NO / OR VERY LITTLE COST, George T sent a Class 60 to Hornby after droping it on the floor, told them what he had done, and they replaced the buffers, buffer beam and windscreen all FOC, and Bachmann did the same recently for one of our club members all FOC again.

Andy

I was right it did! Mind you it was a L&Y branch that came off the Calder Valley route. I have scans of both parts of the article if anyone wants them.....

Andy G

Hi Andy

Sorry It took so long to get back to you. I would be very interested in your scans. I have the L&Y Branchlines book on Rishworth with track plans & drawings but any extra info is always welcome. My email's are on my profile or a PM if possible. Thank you.

Apologies to Ian for going off-topic.

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Sorry It took so long to get back to you. I would be very interested in your scans. I have the L&Y Branchlines book on Rishworth with track plans & drawings but any extra info is always welcome. My email's are on my profile or a PM if possible. Thank you.

Apologies to Ian for going off-topic.

Regards

Bill

Bill,

I'll be doing an email session in the next couple of days, you had better warn your inbox, there 3 meg each page!

Andy

Hi Ian,

Glad to hear you're 'fired up' again and like others look forward to watching progress.

LMS1947 a fascinating period. S&C of course equally a fine prototype so should be a good match.

Quite like the idea of Oxenholme however (although there was a recent version on the exhibition circuit) - and it does have a shed which is a very desirable feature!. Hope Valley route (as suggested above) is also attractive, but rather devoid of express trains in steam days (the link to the Hope cement works is at Earles Sidings btw). If you're still casting around, have you thought about the adjacent Peak mainline to Derby? The expresses went that way; also, an interesting option for you if you push 1947 to 1948 is that it was one of the routes used for the locomotive exchanges so you could legitimately run a B1, a Bulleid 'spam can', etc! :derisive:

Bit late replying but, I have a 4-6-2 LMS rolling frames somewhere if you need the motion, provided you have no luck with Hornby.

Hi Jonathan

Many thanks for the offer, but, the loco is already in the process of being sorted.

Ian

Archived