7mm Wagon Loads - this time from coffee stirrers

Rob Pulham

Hi Chaz,

Your wood stack looks more realistic than mine - I originally made it for a deeper wagon than the 4 plank and in hindsight it's a bit too uniform but I am pleased with the colouring. I felt that the new wood of the coffee stirrers didn't scale well and bizarrely didn't look like wood. For anyone who is interested it's Vallejo Model Air wood diluted with  slightly dirty water water (I had been washing brushes in it when weathering the NBR wagons).

Thanks Rob - I wasn't trying to upstage you!  The random lengths feature was based on some prototype photos I saw which had a number of 5 plank wagons similarly loaded (possibly in the MRJ).

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...
Following on from the post 7 above albeit much belatedly, a gent on the guild suggested that the siphon valve wouldn't really work as a load due to the size of the screw thread. That made sense and at the time I thought that it would make a load that could be sheeted if only I could make a suitable tarpaulin. 

Fast forward to Ian G posting a link to an article on making realistic tarps (http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/making-realistic-tarps/3310) and I thought that I might have the answer. Sadly several attempts were made none of which were good enough to me. The first using Kleenex tissues just disintegrated and using the process on thin cloth worked but it wasn't flexible enough. As a last resort I put a few lens cleaning tissues on one side after they were used to dry out and hey presto they worked.
This is what they look like after being ironed and treated - not much different in looks to be honest but they feel slightly thicker and have a texture. More importantly they can be handled/folded/stretched without mishap.
IMG_8620_zps82z9yag7.jpg

Next I cut some styrene discs using a leather punch and stuck them to a sheet to make eyelets. When they had dried I drilled holes through them and then brush painted both sides of the sheet black (the original plan was to spray them but I ran out of time last week). Next out came a cheap stencil and the letters LNER were painted on along each edge and some cotton cords tied through each eyelet.

IMG_8582_zpsnceenxnn.jpg

In between this while things were drying, etc. I made up a timber cradle for the load.

IMG_8581_zpshcjl1xna.jpg

Lastly I tied it all on - I had to add a couple of staples made from 0.45mm wire to the cradle ends to allow the sheet to be fastened.

New-Out99999_zpsuqoovmxy.jpg

New-Out99998_zps2ras2qad.jpg

New-Out99992_zpsb6jnzz9b.jpg

I must admit that when you first posted a photo' of that plumbing fitting I thought "No, it's too obvious what it is" but now it's on a cradle with the tarpaulin it looks excellent, very convincing as some piece of anonymous heavy engineering.

Chaz

• 4 weeks later...
Following on from my last effort on the wagon sheet,  Bob Alderman posted a comment on how he does tarpaulin sheets on the Guild forum, which was a commercial paper sheet suitably scrunched up and then wet with dilute PVA until it lays over and takes the shape of the object that it covers.

So I had a play.

I started with this:

New-Out99998_zpso5wssna0.jpg 

placed on the lid of a takeway tray on a couple of coktail sticks to stop it sticking to the lid I covered it in cling film and then draped a man sized tissue over it which had the patterned edge trimmed off.

Then I dripped dilute PVA over it  all until the tissue was soak and draped over the load.

I left it a couple of days to dry and then sprayed it with grey paint so that I could see what I was looking at.

New-Out99999_zps4nz1ztc4.jpg

It holds it's shape nicely but like many items we model could be crushed with mishandling.

• 1 year later...
Back on page 1 of this thread I made some cable drums from wooden pieces created by drilling out lightening/cable runs on my layout boards and matchsticks.

Last weekend I came across a few more of the wooden circles and decided to see if I could improve upon them now that I have the NW Shortline Chopper to cut some coffee stirrers instead of the match sticks. An hour later I had 5 cable drums. 

A quick resize, a visit to the printer and then some careful cutting out and I had some labels for them.

IMG_2056_zps5uxep02h.jpg

IMG_2050_zpsa4lrosyi.jpg

I told you I was easily distracted....

Back on page 1 of this thread I made some cable drums from wooden pieces created by drilling out lightening/cable runs on my layout boards and matchsticks.

Last weekend I came across a few more of the wooden circles and decided to see if I could improve upon them now that I have the NW Shortline Chopper to cut some coffee stirrers instead of the match sticks. An hour later I had 5 cable drums. 

A quick resize, a visit to the printer and then some careful cutting out and I had some labels for them.

IMG_2056_zps5uxep02h.jpg

IMG_2050_zpsa4lrosyi.jpg

I told you I was easily distracted....

Those cable drums look very nice. I recollect that, even in the 1970s, they had a big deposit on them to encourage their return. Full drums would be carefully loaded in wagons with wooden chocks to restrict their movement (they were heavy); empty ones seemed to be slung in any-old-how. 

Someone mentioned cable drums for signalling and electrification projects earlier in this thread. These would be delivered to the relevant depots in open High wagons; there, they would be loaded into wagons with special cradles  and guides for paying-out the cable. These wagons wouldn't go to the manufacturer's to be reloaded, just to their home depot. Cable wagons were originally just opens (SR 8-planks were favoured) with some holes knocked out in the planking; more recently, bogie bolsters and other vehicles have been adapted, with cradles for multiple drums.

Larger open wagons could also be used, Chester S&T favoured Tubes http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmstube/e3e1c69af  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brtube/e357395c4

An amazing variety of wagons were converted as cable drum carriers http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/overheadmaintenance

Paul Bartlett

Thanks Paul,

As it happens I have one of Jim McGeown's Tube wagons in the to do pile, so I may make up a few more and fill it with them as being something a little different. - I still have a carrier bag full of the centres to use up on something....

Following my last post on this on the Guild Forum Jim Snowdon set me a bit of a challenge - copied here for context.

Originally posted by Jim Snowdon

Very neat. Now, all you have to do is band them, and if you are feeling really enthusiastic, model the tail of the inner end of the cable where it pokes through the side of the drum and is secured.

Then, the real test is to load them into a wagon and rope them correctly....

Jim

Jim went on to give me a big helping hand towards meeting the challenge by posting a link to this Youtube video https://youtu.be/MJ-8X20w3eE - Well worth a watch even if only the first 2 or 3 minutes

So this is how I got on - Bands from black insulation tape and ye olde faithful coffee stirrers for the cover for the cable tail.

IMG_2128_zpsah0ew8lm.jpg

IMG_2122_zpsefss53mc.jpg

And isn't it typical that a gap in the banding on one of them only shows up when you have taken the photo....

Archived