7mm Wagon Loads - this time from coffee stirrers

Rob Pulham

In between finishing off my shelf queens I have also been messing about with making a few wagon loads. 

I started by wanting to make some pipes. Having looked around for something suitable and finding nothing I raided the recycle box, taking out a couple of tins that canned tomatoes came in. Using a pair of snips I cut down the side and chopped the bottom and the rim off. 

Then I ran them through my rolling bars to flatten it out so that I could mark it up. Once it was flat I squared the edges and marked each one into 3 sections. I cut them out and re-rolled them into smaller diameter tubes. The two cans yielding 6 tubes. I held them together with wire and soldered them with a roll of plumbers solder that I had kicking about the bench (I only used this because I still wasn't sure how well they would turn out and I had got this for nothing so would lose nothing if they still ended up in the recycle box).

Once soldered I gave them a wash and a blow over with some Halfords grey primer and this was the result.

Wagonloads003_zps843d29f7.jpg

Wagonloads006_zps69732c97.jpg

The next one is nothing more scientific than one of the small cans that Pilchards come in. This just had the top and bottom taken out and a coat of primer.

Wagonloads002_zps2e63fc64.jpg

Last up for the moment is from one of my never through anything away because it might be useful stock. 

The idea came about from a photo on Paul Barlett's wagon site that I stumbled upon when researching the pipe wagons - a wagon load of cable drums.

With the mental light bulb on I remembered that when making up the base boards for the layout I had cut a series of holes in the ends for the wiring to pass through. 

To make these holes I used a hole cutting saw which left me some nice round sections of plywood that I had hoarded. Taking some of these pieces I sanded the edges down to smooth out a small rim where I had drilled from both sides. Then I stuck some cut down matches to the edges with pva to create the drum. I had picked up a large bag of matches from a craft shop some time ago with vague ideas and they have finally been used for something.

Wagonloads005_zps1de18227.jpg

Wagonloads007_zpscdda6d63.jpg

Regards Rob

Very nice - I like the corrugated tubes and am impressed that the corrugations survived your rolling. I might well have a go myself. I also like your cable drums, however I think they would look better if the hole through the middle didn't have splintering from the pilot drill that's in the middle of your hole saw. I think a careful drilling of the ply' before use of the holesaw might avoid the effect, though I appreciate that you were using leftovers from an earlier job. Didn't cable drums have discs over the sides carrying maker's name, cable type etc? There was an article in MRJ, in Martyn Welch's wagon loads series, that dealt with cable drums. I will look it out later and post the issue number.

Chaz

Didn't cable drums have discs over the sides carrying maker's name, cable type etc? There was an article in MRJ, in Martyn Welch's wagon loads series, that dealt with cable drums. I will look it out later and post the issue number.

Thanks Chaz, Yes some of them did - I plan to do some in the next bunch using printed labels. I also plan to add the square reinforcing plates that I have noted on some photos to the ones that I have already made . This should tidy up those splinters that you mention.

I see no need for a special wagon - a Lowfit or even a 5 planker might well serve. I seem to remember such wagons being loaded with drums although I can't offer any photo' evidence at the moment....

Chaz

I always keep a piece of Aluminum foil at the side of my spray booth to test paint flow from my Airbrush on and of course to clean the Airbrush out at the end of painting.

After about a month i put it in an old  blender and it makes perfect scrap metal.

David

A Brit in the USA

• 2 years later...
While at a recent show (O gauge North West at Manchester I think) I noticed a demo of a Gent making a timber load from strips of Microstrip which looked quite interesting. It gave me an idea for a use for a box of coffee stirrers that I bought from eBay a few years ago.

Before seeing the demo to make such a stack of timber I would have cut some coffee stirrers to length and then glued them all together into a stack. What this gent did was make a hollow stack with short pieces in place at the ends. In terms of what I planned it would not only use less coffee stirrers but also allow me to make use of the cut rounded ends which would otherwise be surplus.

I started by using a 7mm scale rule and a square to cut 14 stirrers to a scale 16’ long (they were a scale 20’ overall allowing for 2’ to be cut from each end. These were then stuck together 2 high by 7 wide to make a base. To glue them together I used Crafters Pick PVA superglue. This is much thicker than normal PVA and gives a good grab for all sorts of things.

IMG_0014_zpsz88mvntg.jpg

Next using the cut rounded ends and some lengths of some sticks that were not straight/flat I built up the ends and some inner supports

IMG_0010_zpsr0kyfjse.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsnbne5dvt.jpg

Finally finishing with a lid the same as the base.

IMG_0015_zpshmqjlgqn.jpg

IMG_0016_zps2dlzwgtd.jpg

IMG_0018_zpsr3vhclvo.jpg

The stirrers that I used for this trial scale out at 11” wide boards and I plan to make some more with smaller scale boards using the same techniques but scoring the top boards and the ends to represent narrower finished boards.

• 1 month later...
I collected  one of these at Leigh show from Paul at EDM Models

82439_small.jpg

Having got it I was keen to give it  a try so having picked up an idea for another wagon load while watching the many youtube videos of Pete Waterman's layout - (just got an infinity upgrade from my puny 1.2mb that I have suffered with for years which makes watching youtube an absolute pleasure!).

So this is what I came up with.

IMG_7662_zpscqsoi4r8.jpg

IMG_7663_zps7mpt4wuw.jpg

The nails are .3mm holes drilled and then touched with a pin point dipped in a dilute solution of Vallejo Charred Brown acrylic.

I collected  one of these at Leigh show from Paul at EDM Models
82439_small.jpg
Having got it I was keen to give it  a try so having picked up an idea for another wagon load while watching the many youtube videos of Pete Waterman's layout - (just got an infinity upgrade from my puny 1.2mb that I have suffered with for years which makes watching youtube an absolute pleasure!).
So this is what I came up with.

IMG_7662_zpscqsoi4r8.jpg
IMG_7663_zps7mpt4wuw.jpg

The nails are .3mm holes drilled and then touched with a pin point dipped in a dilute solution of Vallejo Charred Brown acrylic.

Very nice and the nails are so convincing.

Rob

The nice square-cut timber ends on your latest project look so much more convincing than the coffee stirrer wood load in post #9.  Those photos show ends that are crushed as part of the cutting process and are nothing like the very squared ends of bulk timber.

The ends can be tidied up by sanding with 1000 grit or smaller, or use a chopper and again a quick sand off.

I have found some stirrers difficult to stain (I use potassium permanganate solution) as some are sort of wax coated.

I too have collected stirrers and found that different coffee chains used different widths and lengths. I used them on my Black Notley layout to make level crossing timbers

Paul R

• 2 months later...

Very nice packing cases. I had a summer job in 1978 while at university working for an export packing and shipping company. I spent much time building packing cases from scratch. The timber was unplaned planks that had to be measured and cut to length. We asembled the panels on a big sheet of thick steel laid on the floor of the warehouse. The nails were then hammered through the battens at an angle of about 50-60 degrees and were automatically bent up into the inside of the panel planks as they reached the steel plate. Crude, but effective.

I have been tinkering around painting some of the wagon loads.....

IMG_8214_zpsbc5engf1.jpg

I'm not sure how much overhang was allowed on a load before a match-truck or similar (empty 3 plank etc) was required.

P1030790-2%20800%20x%20653_zpsso5zrfr3.j

Here's my overhanging timber load in an ex-LNER 6 plank coupled to an ex-GWR match truck. If I was doing this again I think I would look for some thinner rope rather than the ship's hawser.

Chaz

Very nice packing cases. I had a summer job in 1978 while at university working for an export packing and shipping company. I spent much time building packing cases from scratch. The timber was unplaned planks that had to be measured and cut to length. We asembled the panels on a big sheet of thick steel laid on the floor of the warehouse. The nails were then hammered through the battens at an angle of about 50-60 degrees and were automatically bent up into the inside of the panel planks as they reached the steel plate. Crude, but effective.

I forgot to add that the full-size real packing cases were as realistic as Rob's models.

Hi Chaz,

Your wood stack looks more realistic than mine - I originally made it for a deeper wagon than the 4 plank and in hindsight it's a bit too uniform but I am pleased with the colouring. I felt that the new wood of the coffee stirrers didn't scale well and bizarrely didn't look like wood. For anyone who is interested it's Vallejo Model Air wood diluted with  slightly dirty water water (I had been washing brushes in it when weathering the NBR wagons).

Archived