Fault with content

Hello all, this is a very bizarre fault I've encountered. I go to my content, click on a thread and discover myself to have been signed out. Sign back in, selecting remember me, no problems, do it all again later same fault. I don't know if its just one thread in particular, but its worrying.

ScR  

Today I receive a 'server reports error' an cannot upload images (JPG under 200kb) , but I can load text replies.

This morning the site wouldn't load at all for about 2 hours, other web sites ok.

I have no idea...  I do find this site relatively slow and sticky, moreso than any other I frequent.  I greatly enjoy it nevertheless.

Rob

I did think after what seemed like a major upgrade by the provider that things would be better, seems not.

• Still randomly s l o w.
  • previously read content missing.
  • all the other multitude of sites I visit are good speed, just not regularly here.

If you read Dediserve's notes I linked to on Facebook last night it was for preparatory work before moving to faster SSD drives which may or may not make a difference.

Anyway, it's never as simple as one may think. Two similar spec machines in the office here will take different times to load sites (not just this one) over the same connection on the same browser. Performance at this end isn't bad and I tend to give the site a lot more stressful loads than anyone.

• RMweb Gold

I did think after what seemed like a major upgrade by the provider that things would be better, seems not.

Hi Mark,

We haven't had the upgrade yet. Last night's work was in preparation for it. See:

http://www.dediservestatus.com/index.php?cmd=view&id=70

As Andy said, over the next few days RMweb is getting new faster servers with solid-state drives (no moving parts). This should definitely make a difference, although by how much we can only wait and see.

Ultimately the speed of this site is determined by the speed of the database engine, and the way the IPB software accesses it. There are just too many members accessing too much bandwidth (all those photos) with too much customization of the pages for each member. The servers can only do so much at once. If they are busy we just have to wait our turn in the queue.

For RMweb to match the speed of other big sites would mean a massive investment in a full-blown server farm. That's big money and would mean either a paid-for subscription for members, or a big increase in intrusive advertising, including probably non-model railway advertising. While it's free to access and with limited advertising I think we just have to accept the speed we get.

It helps to plan ahead with your browsing. For example when reading a topic, immediately open the next page in a new tab, and leave it loading while you go back to the previous tab to read the previous page. Likewise with VNC, open all the topics you want to read in separate tabs, and leave them loading while you read the first one. If you adopt these techniques you usually find that everything you want to read is ready when you get to it, and there are no annoying delays at all.

regards,

Martin.

Hello Martin & Andy

I must have confused what was happening as there appeared to be 2 stages an initial 2 hour extended by some 25 mins and then a 2nd stage bringing across what looked like 10% of customers in 20 min slots. I thought once that was completed it would  have made some improvement.

These are the main points I read and which stuck in my mind.  Just for clarity are these statements as is now or when everything is completed.

"We are confident you will love the results of this necessary work!"

Key Points

- All customers will be migrated to HP Blade Servers (from Rackmount DL380 Servers)
- Blades have no on board moving parts, fans or power supplies - making them as indestructible as a server can be!
- Networking will be upgraded to Mutli-10Gbps per Hypervisor
- A dedicated 5Gbps NAS Network will be available for NFS/CIFs shares, archive and backup storage
- Dedicated private 1Gbps LANs between cloud servers will be available
- All Storage will be Migrated to high performance enterprise SSD Arrays
- Fusion IO Storage Tiers will shortly be available also.
- Any impact to customers of this massive work will be minimised

Regards

Mark aka Barnaby

• RMweb Gold

For RMweb to match the speed of other big sites would mean a massive investment in a full-blown server farm. That's big money and would mean either a paid-for subscription for members, or a big increase in intrusive advertising, including probably non-model railway advertising. While it's free to access and with limited advertising I think we just have to accept the speed we get.

Agreed Martin, some people should work under our corporate network for a while, then they wouldn't be so fussy about minor delays in RMweb page display :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Martin, some people should work under our corporate network for a while, then they wouldn't be so fussy about minor delays in RMweb page display :lol:

Or live in the wilds where it's not the site that causes slow responses, it's the string in the middle.

As Martin says, if it's free why worry too much.

Just to clarify my comments.

Clearly I've been spoilt in my online useage as speed of sites I visit are all very good.

More importantly I first raised my issues by way of exception reporting in that all had been fine, then suddenly and randomly things go slow.  I checked my end and other sites I visit to confirm I was still opperating correctly which I was.

That put me back to thinking it could be something wrong with the site here.and hence my question.

On the plus side

• RM is FREE
  • RM content is excellent
  • Now I know I can expect slow working I can try to work with it.

Regards

JUST OUT OF INTEREST MY PC IS PERFORMING FINE EVERY WHERE TODAY AND YES IT'S FINE HERE TODAY TOO WITH NO SLOW UPS.

• RMweb Gold

From Dediserve today:

"Over the coming days between the hours of 19:00 and 01:00 we will be slowly migrating customers from the legacy Hypervisors to the new HP Blade infrastructure, this process requires that engineers stop the machine being migrated, cold-migrate it and boot it, the process takes approximately 1-3 minutes and during this time the server being moved will be offline. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, we expect to migrate every machine within the next couple of days."

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this Blade infrastructure, but some of my posts from earlier today have gone missing, also when I go to go to first unread post it takes me to the first post, or one about four or five post before the last one I have read.

OzzyO. 

Not having posted anything yet today, but I have been here several times and each time I have been sent to the first post in that particular forum posted after 2000 yesterday, even though I have read the post before an marked all relevant posts as read.

Check the time period in the l/h column when you click on View New Content; it may have been changed and make sure nothing is selected in the 'Other' section beneath that.

Check the time period in the l/h column when you click on View New Content; it may have been changed and make sure nothing is selected in the 'Other' section beneath that.

Hi Andy,

Tried that - it was set to 'previous 24 hours' like it has been for ages, but I tried 'since my last visit' and get the same result. At first I thought it might have been my iPad, but I'm now on my PC and I get exactly the same result - it says 'sorry, no new content found'.

Just noticed that it has selected 'just items I follow' by itself! I'll try that.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Andy,

Tried that - it was set to 'previous 24 hours' like it has been for ages, but I tried 'since my last visit' and get the same result. At first I thought it might have been my iPad, but I'm now on my PC and I get exactly the same result - it says 'sorry, no new content found'.

Just noticed that it has selected 'just items I follow' by itself! I'll try that.

Regards,

Paul.

Great! Sorted. It might be worth telling others if they experience the same problem. (I suppose I've just done that by this post!)

Regards,

Paul.

Archived