Trains Seventy book cover - Royal train, but where?

locoholic

Does anyone recognise the location of the photo used on the front of the Trains seventy annual? It's not given anywhere in the book, as far as I can see. It looks like suburban London, but there's no third rail or OHL, and there appear to be junctions either side of the station in the background. Any help would be much appreciated.

post-15533-0-69697200-1361534751.jpg

That could just as easily be the North-East or Yorkshire, given the presence of the 37 and what looks like fairly extensive freight activity.  Also despite the presence of tower-blocks - because I think that's what they are rather than office skyscrapers - they are fairly tightly packed and not particularly numerous, suggesting it could be a regional town or city.

The 37 itself - is it on a headshunt rather than a loop - I can't fully make out what's behind it, but there is what might be a buffer stop.  The fence is casting a rather unhelpful shadow to be honest.

EDIT: was typing this whilst EWD was posting his!   Think I'll leave it up here though, as testimony to my powers of deduction :sungum:

as been said..its 100% billingham!

i know because i live on station road,which is the road which runs right in front of the station hotel pub in the background,from the end of my drive i can see the signal box and crossing.

the signal box is just out of view on the book cover photo. its on the right hand side.

the station went in 66,and now is an embarrassing little scruffy concrete thing a mile further north.

the goods yard now has houses built on it.

the photo is taken from the billingham by pass road bridge,which is still in use,and looks exactly the same.

the footbridge spanning the two platforms which you can just see in the backgound is still there also.

middlesbrough model railway club have a huge fantastic 00 gauge layout of this station set in the 50/60s,theres a nice video of it on youtube,sure ive seen a few pics of it on here as well.

nice photo this,never seen it before,royal train as well!

anyone have a nice scan of it they could kindly post up?

cheers.

The queen opened the billingham forum in 1967,the forum is a lesuire centre with an ice rink/swimming pool etc.

Its about half a mile away from the station pictured.

I could be wrong??

But im wondering if this is the royal train that took her to and from billingham that day?

And the 37 in the siding is there in case the 47 failed??

And thats why the bloke in his back garden looking over his fence is so intrested in maybe catching a glimpse of her majesty?

The 37 is quite clean and is possibly one of the standby locos that used to get dotted around the network in those days when the royal train was out. I have seen them in odd places, and more often than not displaying a 4 dot or no head code at all.

Al Taylor

Archived