Zimo Class 20 under heavy load

cassey jones

This is a video of the lastest Zimo Class 20 Digitrains sound files - with the addition of Paul Chetter 'Easy Drive'

Six sound sets on one sound chip!

Anyway I have tried to show how one of the sound sets actually makes it very easy to pull a heavy load from stand still.

[Excuse the layout  - it is being re built]

Paul,

What about a trying a 37 or even a Deltic ?  :sungum:

Hi Cassey

Before I tie myself in knots I need to ask you a few questions about bachmanns 8 pin class 20 and sound fitment.

Lee (allthingsblue) has acquired a zimo 20 off Paul (chetter) and we are going to fit it as soon as it arrives so I thought I would prepare myself after only doing a 21 pin 20 (sound and lights) before.

Will a 20x40 speaker and sound decoder fit in a 8 pin chassie without modifying it? (I know the fan will have to be removed)

Without looking I assume you will need to either move the 8 pin socket or remove it altogether and hardwire the decoder in to allow the speaker to fit? What's your experience of 8 pin sound fitment?

Any hint or tips appreciated (off anybody)!

Guy

I'm afraid it's a hardwire job Guy! An ESU 20 x 40 speaker will fit in the space the fan was in, if you cut two corners off at the front end but you cannot fit the enclosure. The Zimo decoder will fit at the other end under the bonnet in front of the cab. An ESU v4 will not, being deeper!

This one has a 20mm round speaker from Digitrains -

post-8271-0-59729400-1362228686_thumb.jpg

But it was a bit quiet, so with a bit more work I fitted this one -

post-8271-0-09117600-1362228917_thumb.jpg

A Hi-bass,also from Digitrains. Much better! HTH, kev.

Guy,

I have two Digitrains Zimo 20's [a Paul Chetter Easy Drive 21 pin] and an older 20 8 pin.

The older 20 has a fitted 40 x 20 under the fan [sure it has? but I will check tomorrow] it is sealed in with Blutac. ......It is a pig to do though.

I use the void between the rear of the speaker and the chassis as the sound chamber and  it does work......... and sounds fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8WZFaKcXM&list=UU75Z063nfWhZmTjULTC3dyg&index=8

Cheers Kev. Thanks for the pictures as well.

What size is the capacitor and did it Make a difference?

Thanks

Guy

I don't know the cap size Guy, it came with the decoder! I did some tests running with dirty wheels and track and it does work. HTH, kev.

The older 20 has a fitted 40 x 20 under the fan [sure it has? but I will check tomorrow] it is sealed in with Blutac. ......It is a pig to do though.

Hmmm I'm hoping for sound and lights! Might need a rethink!

I don't know the cap size Guy, it came with the decoder! I did some tests running with dirty wheels and track and it does work. HTH, kev.

I didn't fit one to my 21 pin 20 but I may retro fit it when I do the other one.

Thanks for the answers chaps

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I too have the pleasure of Paul's EasyDrive class 20 project and in an 8 pin chassis.

I used the 20 x 40 speaker black taked to the fan area after removing the fan housing. I glued the fan to the grille. Hard wired, and I removed a small amount of chassis to clear the speaker. Didn't bother trying to fit a capacitor in as the Bachmann chassis is so good with all wheel pickup.

Here's a few photos

post-6717-0-46192700-1363293174_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-32807700-1363293193_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-31150300-1363293209_thumb.jpg

I'm using set 3 at the moment, but will have a better play with the settings as soon as it gets a run on Summat Colliery at the Lincoln show in June

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the pics,

I've finished the Zimo 8 pin sound 20, I've also fitted lights used the Zimo 'Swiss Mapping' to program the lights.

You can have just the directional white lights or white and reds with push of a F key.

I have also set it so the independant cab light goes off above speed step 0.

Lastly you can put all four reds on to show the loco is stabled or just one set of reds if the loco is in double headed or topped and tailed. I'll post a thread and pics/vid sometime soon.

Thanks goes to people posting on this thread and to Mr Chetter for encouraging me to try Swiss Mapping.

Guy

Archived