CARLISLE BUILDINGS Photo Restoration

Blimey Peter, AND the inside !

It just ain't on Mate, I can't take anymore ! and THAT roof.

You know Peter, when I first ever met you I said to myself, "There goes a legend in the making " and I've never been so right in my life - the legend has arrived !

Cheers Mate, proud to have had the privelage.

Allan.

hi Ian,

many thanks for the kind comments, your very kind, I suppose its allways a difficult task when dealing with prototypes as generally it has to be right or as near as we can get but this was a thorn in the flesh build with very little to go on, the reason the cranes went in was that I read it in text somewere that they were there and how many etc, the Roof is made from 4mm ply the rest from plasticard but as a shell, not laminated, so hopefully its breathable. 

The LMS nameboard was done on the computer and expanded and printed out and fixed with MEK-PAK to a plasticard former.

Hi Alan,

I'm a legand allright but only for being the most untidy modeller in the whole world, if I clean up I can't find ewt but at least for now i know which pile to look under ( Ian Rice style ) :-)

here are some shots of the Warehouse build and of course the office/workshop!

062_zpseea22892.jpg

063_zpsc8a56078.jpg

061_zps6a03f3fd.jpg

060_zps5abeda19.jpg

059_zps7ca4b02d.jpg

058_zpsf8662e7c.jpg

057_zpscf0cedc6.jpg

056_zpse2745f70.jpg

039-1_zpsb01e93ce.jpg

038-2_zps8c4b7da1.jpg

037-2_zps3c580b64.jpg

036_zpsef3cee70.jpg

034_zps2f0ef0b3.jpg

032_zpse3358851.jpg

031-2_zps6b82759c.jpg

030_zps191b4e3d.jpg

029-2_zps07ae3cfd.jpg

028_zps4f2e4afe.jpg

027-2_zps5e3fea15.jpg

055_zps6342eda3.jpg

056_zpse2745f70.jpg

061_zps6a03f3fd.jpg

062_zpseea22892.jpg

063_zpsc8a56078.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 9

Hi Alan,

I'm a legand allright but only for being the most untidy modeller in the whole world, if I clean up I can't find ewt but at least for now i know which pile to look under ( Ian Rice style ) :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just hang on there a moment Peter, that's my title - 'Untidiest model maker in the World'!

The worst thing you can possibly do is to have a clean out halfway through a build because if you do, you end up building bits again that you've aleady built, or not building bits that you think you've built and - When after spending two hours looking for a bit you know full well you built but can't find, it's because it's stuck to your elbow and has been ever since you leant on it - right ?!

Cheers.

Allan

Hialan,

so true,

the funniest thing I ever heard from you was on TV 's MODELMANIA were yu mentioned the fact that at least once a year you have National cut week :-)

Peter

Peter, what was MODELMANIA, what was I doing on it, and when ?

I seem to remember something about National Cut Week, but I don't remember that it was me that said it.

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Alan,

Yes, Modelmania, it was a series every week on Sky TV showing different aspects of modelling, tony Reytnalds was on it too showing his models and workshop, you were in your workshop wiith a big o gauge welsh type layout and you also gave a demonstration on how to achieve the stone effect you get, alsom Malcolm Mitchel was on it too.

I can't remember what year it was but must be the best time of 10 years ago.

cheers

Peter

Hi folks,

I will attempt to download pictures of the rd side buildings when I have time, on my lunch at present :-)

P6030398_zps50790bd9.jpg

P6030397_zps969f0dce.jpg

will download more when I get the chance.

Peter

P6030397_zps969f0dce.jpg

P6030398_zps50790bd9.jpg

P6030399_zpscbb71b7f.jpg

P6030400_zps4589e3a0.jpg

P6030402_zps1f578226.jpg

P6030403_zps5ca13bc1.jpg

P6030407_zps8d972164.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 4

Guest jonte

Hi Peter,

Great work!

May I ask which brand of window header you use, please?

Many thanks,

Jonte.

Hi jonte,

cheers for the kind apreciative comments,

the window headers seen on the warehouse are 'South eastern finecast', they do a sheet in plastic called 'Arches' and have several different designes and plain strips of stretchers that you can cut/manipulate to curve how you like,

'Howard Scenics' also do some in Card, and of course 'Wills'

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, I notice you've fixed the windows in place whilst building. How do you approach painting the frames without getting paint on the glazing? Is it just years of experience, a steady hand and the finest brush possible? Wouldn't the microstrip need undercoating first?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just I'm getting to the stage of remaking all the windows for my current project after getting paint all over them whilst repainting the stonework. My plan was to assemble the frames, spray with undercoat, then paint cream, before glazing and fixing behind the apertures.

Hi freebs,

No easy way of painting windows if they are scratchbuilt like these, the general rule is to paint the frames first then fix the glass to the back of the frames, this of course assuming you use ready made frames/windows, etched and the like but in this case all from scratch.

If i made the frames first they would have distorted by the time i fixed the clear glass in place, fortunatley these frames would be well soiled as around the 50s 60s period so a dry brush wash with water colour will more than suffice with a view of wiping away the excess paint from the glass without damaging the clear glass surface as i did on Peterborough North.

cheers

Peter

Ah, very interesting, thanks. I still haven't decided how to rebuild my windows. I was going to remake them using my method of "etching" as described here: http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/windows-37.html

but they're made from self adhesive matt white vinyl which doesn't take acrylic paint very well without an undercoat. I was going to leave them white with just a wash of grime, but someone mentioned that white paint wasn't readily used in my chosen time frame of late 50s/early 60s.. I had thought of scratchbuilding them from microstrip which takes paint better, but then I'd probably need to get some matching Enamel instead of Acrylic, so I'm at a dilemma for now..

Guest jonte

Hi jonte,

cheers for the kind apreciative comments,

the window headers seen on the warehouse are 'South eastern finecast', they do a sheet in plastic called 'Arches' and have several different designes and plain strips of stretchers that you can cut/manipulate to curve how you like,

'Howard Scenics' also do some in Card, and of course 'Wills'

cheers

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

Most kind.

I've some Howard Scenics already in my possession although the relief is quite faint. Thanks for the tip re the SE Finecast variety.

Jonte

• 2 weeks later...

Hi alan,

cheers re comments, not been anywere, been here all the time, work is busy and taking up all my time so not easy to post up very often.

cheers

Peter

Hi nik,

many thanks re comments, much apreciated, its not as big as the hotel which is next door but 1 :-)

cheers

Peter

Hi freebs, yes its a bit on the large side,

cheers

Peter

Hi Alan,

your too kind lol :-) 

Peter

Hi Ian, thanks re comments, I deliberatley kept clear of matt black which is allways a temptaion and used olive drab which also gives good results on pantiles.

I can never get the natural colour of a model on photos, its always a challenge.

cheers

Peter

here a couple more

P6290411_zps8c573fa3.jpg

P6290398_zpsab39c157.jpg

P6290407_zps1d861579.jpg

P6290395_zpse0ae2896.jpg

P6290398_zpsab39c157.jpg

P6290402_zps7267dc0f.jpg

P6290407_zps1d861579.jpg

P6290411_zps8c573fa3.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train