CARLISLE BUILDINGS Photo Restoration

Hi Tom,

yes, would be great to see your efforts,

with regard to progress on the Carlisle layout, that, if I may say so is down to the team working on it on sight, I, am just producing Architectural items which are being shipped out to the site and being placed in there appropriate places, I hope :-).

I will continue to post up, I did however complete the London road box but unfortunately forgot to photograph it but a friend is going to photograph it for me. 

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

How much am I modelling and how far have I got????

The "scenic" bit of my model will stretch from the over bridge beyond Victoria Viaduct in the north to the over bridge over the WCML just before Upperby, and will include the diverging Eastern lines (Newcastle and S&C) and the Maryport line.  This will be housed in a shed in the garden which is now complete with an internal space of 25ft by 8ft.  While this seemed generous I had several goes at "distilling" the essence of Carlisle into a plan which was drawn out full size on lining paper and that needed several reworkings in order to get it to fit.  I have had to accept a ruling radius of 30' minimum on all lines except the Maryport one where I am down to 27" but I can live with this.  I have a scan of the plan somewhere which I can post on here if that would be of interest (without hijacking your thread!).

All baseboards have been completed (ply beam Barry Norman style) with an open top arrangement on the station side.  Trackwork - Peco Code 75 - has been purchased and track laying is about to start.  I could try to find some photos of the baseboards...

I plan to operate using DCC which will be a first for me.  My previous layouts have all been analogue, but I am so impressed with the capabilities of the digital stuff that I have decided to go that way.  I will have to sell off some of my loco fleet in due course to pay for enough "chips" to get me started down that route but that's another story.

I retired a few years ago so I theoretically have more time (when not babysitting grandchildren and decorating!!) but it's slow progress when you are working away on a project of this size.  I was tempted to start an OMWB thread but I think folk may be quickly bored as there may not be much other than track laying and basic scenery to report for a while.

What size is the layout for which you are doing the buildings?  Is there a plan of it on here?

Regards for now,

Tom

The layout in question is in a purpose built room 30m x 6m, between Caldew bridge in the north and St Nicholas bridge in the south it is exactly to scale (4mm - EM gauge). Outside these limits reality is bent a little, part of Upperby shed yard is now included and an almost scale model of Garsdale has been squeezed in at one side of the room (in place of some storage sidings). The goods avoiding lines are included from Upperby to Caldew Junction via Bog Junction and Rome Street, these are not quite to scale and the room wasn't wide enough to get the curve from Bog Junction to the M&C.

I have posted quite a bit of information on this layout from time to time, including the track diagram - I'll start a proper thread on it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just back from France after another fortnight's work on the Carlisle layout. The latest building fits well, just waiting for the third of this impressive group now.

post-1643-0-76863200-1397131995_thumb.jpg

The view along the road over the north end of Citadel station, far end of the room can be seen in this view

post-1643-0-78928100-1397132022_thumb.jpg

Back of the buildings from near No4 signal box

post-1643-0-35343300-1397132051_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-64020000-1397132070_thumb.jpg

Two views from roadside

• Like 9

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the photos, I did wonder how they would look in situ on the layout, its the first time I have seen any of the buildings in place and now just the Hotel to be put in, the layout looks pretty impressive and perhaps the rd side buildings and Bridge give a sense of identity to the place, at least for the moment from the photo views. 

I noticed the platforms are now in, tell Geoff they look great and very authentic.

Its nice to see the no4 box too, I think it was the first of all the buildings that I constructed for the layout.

Have you fitted up the track-work, it looks superb?

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

Hi Peter

Yes, you are correct, the layout is at a private location in France of which Mike is more knowledgeable of.

The fancy ironwork on the Viaduct is your work and excellent it is too.

If you go back on this page, Mike gives some details of its size and plan etc.

I hope your keeping okay, are you going to the Wigan show this year, would like to meet up?.

cheers

Peter

ps: any news on Ivor the Engine? :-)

Living just over a mile from the 12 inches to the foot version of Carlisle station, I am astonished at just how accurate the buildings on Victoria Viaduct are.

The names on the shops have changed, but essentially these buildings remain unchanged to this day and can easily be seen from the north end of the station platforms. Next time you are there, glance up at these buildings, and then take in just how superb these models are.

Chapeau to your sir for your awe-inspiring work.

• RMweb Premium

I really must start a proper thread on this giant project, much of it is running now although I still have at least two more year's work on track and electrics. I'll get something more connected on here before my next trip out there in June - et merci pour le "chapeau".

Gravy Train,

This is just amazing modelling of the very highest level.

I noticed a photograph of your compatriot "Allan Downes" the other day and could not help but think there is a striking  resemblance to DLT. Just facially of course.

I have to say with you two guys and Geoff Taylor & David Wright there is such talent in the Model Buildings sector of this hobby.

Regards,Derek.

Tony,

How right you are, Iain Robinson deserves to be included amongst the other greats I listed above. I feel that I owe him an apology for in all honesty I don't think I had heard of him until today,despite 56 years of reading the mags and attending untold exibitions. However as an ex resident of Stoke Mandeville I am very familiar with Princes Risborough Station and Footbridge and Iain's models of them are SUPERB.

There are others I could have mentioned such as Ken Ball & Bob Dawson, to mention just two but I had to stop somewhere.

Spent ages looking at Iain's gallery on here and the Allan & Iain show :-    "Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes".

Regards,Derek.

PS :- the buildings on the layout "Narrow Road" are pretty impressive. (Ken Hill & Tony Gee)     PPS  :- Mr Hill is my cousin.

• Like 1

Allan,

I understand where your coming from , so just to even things up and put Mr Robinson in his place see below. :jester:

I notice on page116 of this topic :-  "Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes". a photograph of a  pretty SUPERB 7mm model of a Church.

This same church is for sale on the Wagon and Carriage Works website and Vanessa Marshall the widow of the Late Peter Marshall is selling off stock at reduced prices,hence the Church is being offered at £500 which in my opinion is a very good price for such a large building in such SUPERB condition.

So two Superbs for you  and a pretty blatant advert for Vanessa. :no:

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

Ah yes, Peter and Vanessa, two really nice genuine people and Peter Marshall was so easy to deal with - always good quality goods for a fair price.

We went back a few years and he had a really good sense of humour something he really needed if he was to sell my stuff !!

He will be sadly missed.

Allan.

• Like 1

You mentioned Ken Ball, I have to say that Ken Ball's work was the first I ever saw after attending my first ever Exhibition at the Wigan club show way back, his models were so good and still are, I am a very good friend of Ken and he  is a real gent and so very helpful.

Ken is still very active as a model maker, although elderly ailments do get in the way  nowadays but it has not effected his work in any way.

Ken does have a book called ' Modelling buildings the easy way' can be found on Amazon at present,

I would also like to mention Arnold Bellfields work of Rassbottom Brow fame, he was my inspiration for my LYR layouts, the York stone buildings he produced, just superb, individual slate roofs and the like, a talented Architectural modeller for sure.

There is also 'Peter Smith' of Kirtley models, I think he is predominantly 7mm or larger scales but A very good Architectural modeller.

At the end of the day there are many good Architectural modellers out there but of different styles a bit like Artists.

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 2

I do so agree with both of  you very talented guys. I could of course have mentioned Pete Goss of "Rowlands Castle" fame. Geoff Kent  of "Blakeny" fame,  but had to stop somewhere.

As for Peter & Vanessa Marshall,  I have MS and after 14 months off work I got a job as a courier driver and on many occasions would call on Wagon and Carriage Works and was treated so politely and friendly by them as was my dear friend and colleague Chris, who sadly  has also passed away.

I met Peter later when he lent a collection of his own models to Tony Wright for an exibit at Little Bytham village fete a few years ago.

The perfect Gentleman. R.I.P. Peter.

Hi Derek,

yes, Peter Goss and Geoff Kent, Geoff Kent in my own personal opinion, probably the finest modeller in Plasticard, Peter Kern may be impressed with his work, he scribes all his own brickwork and I was told he cuts his own microstrip.

Peter Goss models can be seen on his site ' Peter Goss Figures' superb buildings, he is also an Architect by profession and a real nice guy to boot.

I never met Peter Marshall but knew of the name, I am sure he was a real nice guy to know, sadly missed by many i'm sure.

Peter

Peter,

I don't wish to be pedantic, but I was under the impression from talking to Peter at Hull MRS exhibition once that he was an Architectural Technician, which he explained was a guy who constructed models of Projects that Architects were quoting for or suggesting to clients to give the client a 3D impression of the finished project. If I have got it wrong I apologise and protest Senility.

I always tell Peter Goss that what really makes his layouts  so outstanding is the vegitation,which I know his charming Wife does for him. A smashing couple and both very talented.

Kind Regards,Derek.

:offtopic:  We seemed to have drifted away from Carlisle,I for one apologise.

Hi Derek,

re Peter Goss, your version sounds more convincing than mine with regard to his profession, I was never good at understanding what people say to me lol, my teacher used to say that 'I don't listen' I was never well furnished in the brain department :-) but I  can read and write.

No worries re drifting away from the subject matter, I am after all only doing the buildings, there is the track work, scenics, signalling and I guess all the rolling stock, Locos etc, not to mention the designing and joinery, electrics etc, so my part is very small indeed and as Mike has said he will be starting a thread on Carlisle which sounds great and will be very interesting.

regards 

Peter

• Like 1