CARLISLE BUILDINGS Photo Restoration

Hi Lee,

don't worry about that,:-)  you were asking a valid question, I look at buildings sometimes, especially photos and can't really make out what I see so have to hazzard a guess based on past experience, to judge that what I'm looking at is what I think it is. 

cheers

Peter

Hi Lee,

yes, but the brickwork should be more darker, alltho in real life not too red but much more than the photo show's, the stonework was nearer too the colour and perhaps more to what you have done there, it should lokk like the Viaduct i did earlier in the thread.

cheers

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Further down the Network but on the same layout/plan the other part GARSDALE, here the ( Signal box )

PA050447_zpsf1b00bc4.jpg

PA050446_zps18ca9e2f.jpg

PA050445_zps67f9b33e.jpg

PA050443_zps4b24bea5.jpg

PA050441_zps5f8ed58b.jpg

PA050440_zps2c0735c3.jpg

PA050437_zpse371b7fa.jpg

more to follow

PA050437_zpse371b7fa.jpg

PA050440_zps2c0735c3.jpg

PA050443_zps4b24bea5.jpg

PA050446_zps18ca9e2f.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 8

Hi Folks,this is the only photo I have of no5

here is No5 Carlisle, this box ha the correct amount of levers and all in their appropriate place :-)

daveslayout015-2.jpg

Any chance of some (un-blurred) photos of this impressive model as I would really like to see the detail, very inspiring

Hi Folks,

chees for the encouraging comments, very much appreciated.

Hi StuatM,

unfortunately this is the only photo I have of the box unless I can get a photo of it in situ on the layout, from memory I think there were 185 levers installed of which were all in there correct order as from the original lever diagram, there is also interior detailing and a light also.

cheers

Peter

• 5 months later...

Reasonably tidy work station there Peter, or was that just for the photograph ?! - mine you can't even see the work top !

That's a mighty impressive building there and I reckon you must be using Slaters jumbo sized styrene sheets as I do ??

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Alan,

yes reasonably tidy, the day before the photo was unrecognisable, I have used 1mm mounting board for the shell with a layer of 20thou plastic sheet and layers of brickwork/stone sheets of Slaters followed by inner bracing of stripwood 21mmx12mm.

I am refraining from posting up the finished product in respect for the customers wishes to see the model first, then I will post up.

The middle building that is seen on the laptop is the model in question, the first building was the Ballantyne building and the end one 'the Hotel' comes next in order.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Gravy Train

Somehow I'd managed to overlook that stunning building at the north end of the station, ever since I stumbled across this thread I've been wondering how I was going to represent it. I just figured it out, I take one of your workbench pics, print it out on plain paper, pritt stick it to a piece of board as a photo backdrop and it will automatically look better than anything I can produce. :)

• Like 1

I am not often on this Forum although I joined up several years ago....

Today I stumbled upon this thread and am in awe of the work done in the pictures above.

I am even more impressed because I am working on my own depiction of Carlisle (from 1985ish up to date!) and realise only too well what a challenge there is in producing such stunning models.  My baseboards are built partly open-top to help me create some of the varied levels in and around the station.  I think the Victoria Viaduct has been beautifully captured along with Ballantynes building.  My skill level is such that I have to make some compromises here and there but this work clearly sets an inspirational example as well as a challenge.

Will fuller details of the layout as well as the rest of your building work for Carlisle emerge in due course?

Tom

Hi folks,

thanks so much for your appreciative comments, very much appreciated.

Hi Tom,

Another, modelling Carlisle, there are at least 3 on here modelling Carlisle, as you say it is a huge undertaking, how much of the layout are you modelling, I must point out that the layout is not mine, I am commissioned to build various models of the structures in its environs as a model maker.

How far have you got with the layout thus far and have you any photos to share with us?

Many thanks for your kind comments

Peter A L

• Like 1

Hi folks,

thanks so much for your appreciative comments, very much appreciated.

Hi Tom,

Another, modelling Carlisle, there are at least 3 on here modelling Carlisle, as you say it is a huge undertaking, how much of the layout are you modelling, I must point out that the layout is not mine, I am commissioned to build various models of the structures in its environs as a model maker.

How far have you got with the layout thus far and have you any photos to share with us?

Many thanks for your kind comments

Peter A L

Hi Peter,

How much am I modelling and how far have I got????

The "scenic" bit of my model will stretch from the over bridge beyond Victoria Viaduct in the north to the over bridge over the WCML just before Upperby, and will include the diverging Eastern lines (Newcastle and S&C) and the Maryport line.  This will be housed in a shed in the garden which is now complete with an internal space of 25ft by 8ft.  While this seemed generous I had several goes at "distilling" the essence of Carlisle into a plan which was drawn out full size on lining paper and that needed several reworkings in order to get it to fit.  I have had to accept a ruling radius of 30' minimum on all lines except the Maryport one where I am down to 27" but I can live with this.  I have a scan of the plan somewhere which I can post on here if that would be of interest (without hijacking your thread!).

All baseboards have been completed (ply beam Barry Norman style) with an open top arrangement on the station side.  Trackwork - Peco Code 75 - has been purchased and track laying is about to start.  I could try to find some photos of the baseboards...

I plan to operate using DCC which will be a first for me.  My previous layouts have all been analogue, but I am so impressed with the capabilities of the digital stuff that I have decided to go that way.  I will have to sell off some of my loco fleet in due course to pay for enough "chips" to get me started down that route but that's another story.

I retired a few years ago so I theoretically have more time (when not babysitting grandchildren and decorating!!) but it's slow progress when you are working away on a project of this size.  I was tempted to start an OMWB thread but I think folk may be quickly bored as there may not be much other than track laying and basic scenery to report for a while.

What size is the layout for which you are doing the buildings?  Is there a plan of it on here?

Regards for now,

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Well you appear to have it all planed out which is a must for a project like this, it will speed things up in the long term progress of the build, with regard to size of the layout I have built for, 'I think' but may be way of track, probably 100ft long, I will for sure be corrected on that.

The trouble with Carlisle is its as wide as it is long in some respects given the diverging lines etc, no doubt you will have to resort to tailor made pointwork to get the trackwork in the space you have available.

with regard to starting a thread, I think that would be a great idea and would certainly create interest.

cheers

Peter A L

• Like 1