Shunters & shunting layouts

switcher 1

• RMweb Gold

The worst problem with tight curves occur when going from straight to curve (curve to reverse curve - just forget it) so if you can put a little bit of easement at the start and end of a curve you will get less trouble. When I built Sparrows Wharf it was 3m long and would take a 1m train cassette within that length.

Don

Guest Jim Read

Hi all and Hi Don,

This pic is a previous layout when under construction;

dlre39.jpg

As you can see there are some reverse curves, the points are 28" radius and providing I used 0-4-0 locos and 9/10 ft wheelbase wagons it worked fine. A similar arrangement but with 34" radius points on yet another previous layout worked fine with a 140mm wheelbase 4 wheel coach, I've still got the coach made from a brass kit but keep forgetting to take it to a show to give it to someone who might want it, I'll never use it again.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi all and Hi Don,

This pic is a previous layout when under construction;

dlre39.jpg

As you can see there are some reverse curves, the points are 28" radius and providing I used 0-4-0 locos and 9/10 ft wheelbase wagons it worked fine. A similar arrangement but with 34" radius points on yet another previous layout worked fine with a 140mm wheelbase 4 wheel coach, I've still got the coach made from a brass kit but keep forgetting to take it to a show to give it to someone who might want it, I'll never use it again.

Jim

Nice, a bit diiferent to your other layout! Will you be taking your exhibition layout to the ERS show in October?

Guest Jim Read

Hello H&Bf3,

Not to the ERS show but that far away at the Sherwood one on the 27th Oct.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello H&Bf3,

If you can I'll be delighted to see you and you'll be very welcome to have a go.

Cheers - Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it hadn't been for Ixion & their little loco, I wouldn't be doing '0' gauge!

No, not on commission, but fully hope/intend to purchase one when it becomes available.

Might even support Dapol.........

(Edit: I'm putting links in here to make it easy for anyone who has bookmarked this thread.)

Not wanting to start a flame war or anything, but Ixion put Dapol to shame when it comes to lead time to delivery. They've done a fantastic job getting this far since their initial suggestion thread a little while ago. And this includes all the research and production drawings too.

I'm very much looking forward to their expansion into mainline diesels...

Guest Isambarduk

"... Ixion put Dapol to shame when it comes to lead time to delivery."

Ditto when it comes to the quality and the accuracy (ie faithful representation of the prototype).

David

Archived