Shunters & shunting layouts

switcher 1

• RMweb Premium

I was talking to the folks on the Peco stand at Nottingham exhibition today, they are no longer ruling out the possibility of a shorter 0 Gauge turnout to accompany their setrack, I have been gently lobbying on this for a while....40" radius they mention would match the setrack curvature.

Don't hold your breath but by the time certain manufacturers introduce their promised Gauge 0 locos (eg a 'Terrier') it might be available!

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

On a previous layout I had some 34" radius points and Mike asked me to run in a Terrier he'd made from a kit, it ran beautifully and through the points, a three way to two reverse singles one making an S curve without the slightest hesitation.

If anyone would like to make one here's a drawing;

33jk7m9.jpg

Send me a message with your email address and I'll gladly send the file to you.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

On a previous layout this MW would go through 28" radius points quite smoothly,

2mqoocg.jpg

Problems arose with buffer locking though.

With this 0-4-0

29xjbk8.jpg

and 9 or 10ft wheelbase wagons it worked fine.

I find that 34" takes most stuff OK including a 20ft wheelbase 4 wheel coach and the drawing fits onto A4 paper.

Cheers - Jim

In keeping with the small layout theme, I'm trying to track down a Scottish O Gauge terminus I saw at York show in either 2010 or 2011. The platforms were just big enough for a loco and one or two Mk1s. Plenty of shunting to be had. It was all set in BR Blue livery with 08s, 20s, 26s and 37s. I spent ages looking at it and now can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

Speaking of which, I believe that the Ixion Hudswell Clarke is officially rated to operate on curves down to 36" radius. I'll have to dig up those old atlas 24" radius points and torture test the HC through those.

Speaking of which, I believe that the Ixion Hudswell Clarke is officially rated to operate on curves down to 36" radius. I'll have to dig up those old atlas 24" radius points and torture test the HC through those.

I have tried an HC through 24" radius curves, but it was too much for the old girl. 36" radius is easy.

In keeping with the small layout theme, I'm trying to track down a Scottish O Gauge terminus I saw at York show in either 2010 or 2011. The platforms were just big enough for a loco and one or two Mk1s. Plenty of shunting to be had. It was all set in BR Blue livery with 08s, 20s, 26s and 37s. I spent ages looking at it and now can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

Can't be certain, but it was probably built by Ian Futer's from your description. May help in you trying to find it.

Alan.

Can't be certain, but it was probably built by Ian Futer's from your description. May help in you trying to find it.

Alan.

Well, he's had plenty of them to choose from over the years!  I think his current one will be at York over Easter, it was at Nottingham a couple of weeks ago (but that's not a big help is it :scratchhead: )

It certainly sounds like an Ian Futers layout. He exhibited 'Kirk Yetholm' in 2011 and 'Ullapool' in 2010.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to the folks on the Peco stand at Nottingham exhibition today, they are no longer ruling out the possibility of a shorter 0 Gauge turnout to accompany their setrack, I have been gently lobbying on this for a while....40" radius they mention would match the setrack curvature.

Don't hold your breath but by the time certain manufacturers introduce their promised Gauge 0 locos (eg a 'Terrier') it might be available!

I assume 40" would be broad enough to prevent buffer lock with short stock?  If yes, I hope this comes to pass...

With regards to minimum radius, I've been told that a rule-of-thumb to follow is that the minimum radius needs to be at least 10 times that of the longest fixed wheelbase of any locomotive or wagon that you will have on the layout. Theoretically, the Hudswell Clarke with it's 80.5mm wheelbase can handle an 805mm radius (just under 32 inches).

However, you need to take into consideration any passenger rolling stock that you may be using. A GWR T34 coach is 31' long over headstocks and has about a 19' wheelbase (can someone confirm this). The 5-compartment S9 is 26' long over headstocks and has a 16' wheelbase. So theoretically, the T34 would need nearly 1,400mm or 4'6" radius curves to be comfortable.

Archived