Improving Lima HST

sub39h

Starting to get my HST ready for the Grandchildren's visit (I run BR ER steam 1955 to 1962 but the HST was bought because it has the same name as the one the family went on during a visit to the UK).  Anyway, Steve what type of Kadee did you use?

Thanks

Jim

Starting to get my HST ready for the Grandchildren's visit (I run BR ER steam 1955 to 1962 but the HST was bought because it has the same name as the one the family went on during a visit to the UK).  Anyway, Steve what type of Kadee did you use?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I used Kadee No 5s for the HST, although for most other stock I use a coupling with a longer shank (No 26 or similar) so that the box is completely under the buffer beam.  The Kadees are mounted on the underframe with the buckeye at a more prototypical (less visible) height just under the gangway not at normal height for a Kadee.  My HST will only just negotiate a 3'6" radius and I mounted the coupling in a slot (with captive nut) on the coach floor so that I can fine tune the position to minimise the gap between the coaches.  I wrote up my HST here but there is very little about the couplings and I could add photos and description to that post if it would help. 

There's a lot of fun to be had with a good HST and it will be worth it!

Kind regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Thks Steve.  I had guessed that you probably had used a #5, but thought it worth checking in case there was a better option.  I was visually experimenting with a couple of #5s last night.  Like you I thought that the best way would be to mount them directly onto the floor, especially since they will run as a fixed rake.  My minimum radius is 36" but i am running 00 so I should be OK. but that is a good idea about making a slot.  I will probably make a slot in one coach and used a fixed point in the adjoining coach being a bit on the lazy side.   In the past when I have used #5's on Bachmann Mk1s I have mounted them so that centre line of the knuckle is just under the end of the corridor connector.  This way I can use a paper corridor connector without having to remove the moulded one.  

Regards

Jim

Converted the ends of two coaches last night and did a test run.  No problems at all.  Will take some pictures and post when I do some more coaches.  I have two LIMA per units and Boy do they sound great when running at speed.  I am not a sound Guy but in this case they really make an impression.  Next job is to convert the lights so that they are red at the rear as appropriate and make some gangways.

• Like 1

I am upgrading a load of old Limas into gWr LA15 at the moment. I am also using kadees but have fitted NEM pockets and using no17's for this rake to see how it goes.

Be different do LA16 or LA72 instead.

Be different do LA16 or LA72 instead.

I might do. I haven't totally finalised on the set yet but do have the LA15 transfers - just waiting on the correct green paint to arrive as I originally got the wrong shade. Will be tackling a sleeper after this I think. I don't model gWr area really I just love the green livery.

• 2 months later...

Have now converted my old Lima unit to Kadees (#5 body mounted) made corridor connectors.  I am in the process of adding directional lighting and I have the rather vague memory of reading that the very early HST ran with only one rear red light.  This lighting pattern according to my memory was to comply with the then BR standard pattern.  I know this is true for the early DMU units so there is some logic to my memory.    Can anyone confirm this memory?  Apart from anything else it will simply  LED installation considerably.  

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have just come across this thread..!  Very interesting.

I recently converted a Lima HST to EM gauge using the Hornby driven bogies and centrally mounted motor.   Did publish under Modifying and Detailing RTR Stock. Guess i should have published here.  Link below for interest.  Same pulling power as full fat version but for a 1/3 the cost..!