Is this Moorgate?

BR(S)

Is this Moorgate station before it was built over, on what eventually became the Thameslink platforms 5 and 6?  I think the platform number sign on the right hand side says 5.  I only ask as I've never seen any picture with a Class 25 in these platforms.  Any idea of the origin of the 2C88 headcode?:

http://www.tracksnorth.co.uk/Trains/Railway-Archives/24465688_pMQBzN#!i=1996167235&k=Zr7q6NZ

Looks possible - the stock is BR suburbans, typical for Moorgate workings, and 31s certainly ran down there from the GN lines. 25 from Cricklewood from the Midland Bedford line?? 

Good find - take a look at some of the other shots

The picture shows the Widened Lines platforms 5 and 6 on their new alignment. These replaced the double sided platforms of which some of the remains can be seen in the background. The temporary signal box for the alignment works closed in February 1966 with control transferring to Farringdon. Nice picture find but a too late for my model  :)

According to my copy of Ian Allan abc British Railways Headcodes, correct to Winter 1962,  2C88 translates as follows:-

2 = Ordinary passenger train

C = St Pancras, Marylebone and Manchester North (That's the LMR Area code)

88 = Moorgate L.T.E and Harpenden (codes for London District (Midland Lines))

Hope that helps

regards

John

• RMweb Premium

It is Moorgate, the building behind the station looks like Tenter House which is still there.

Now the Sulzer Bo-Bo should not be there. It is not fitted with LT trip-cock gear. Cricklewood had a small batch of Skinhead Sulzers for the Moorgate duties but if they were not available then a later Derby Bo-Bo or a BRCW Bo-Bo would be used.

Lovely photo. There are some other goodies in the set including M68000. http://www.tracksnorth.co.uk/Trains/Railway-Archives/24465688_pMQBzN#!i=1996127745&k=nbdtwdk The ex Newcastle- South Sheilds MLV following its transfer to the Liverpool- Southport line.

Archived