RMweb

Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

Hard to believe you started this less than 5 weeks ago!

Very effective use of the hanging-basket liners. I need to get my ar*e in gear and go and buy some to try out.

Other than the river colour - but that's your choice Andy - superb.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the water issue will not FLOW away, I do agree its not right YET. I will work on it over the next year or so, or next week, it will have a varnish/ PVA/ gloss or something but as you, Cav and Georgy Boy have all said it is a bit to Blue. I did like the colour that Micky had on his layout and so I will work on that first.

Andy

Andy thats one brilliant layout the backscene captures the highlands and the rock coming through the grass is, very effective overall your doing a great job.Having a clearout in the old layout room today I found some C&L track so thats whats going on my new layout in the shed.Managed to fall down some steps in the garden on Tuesday so I am not feeling much like laying track at moment ,nothing broken but shook up ,wife suggested I build a ramp and use a walking stick! Keep on bodging Sir Bodgit.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, the water issue will not FLOW away, I do agree its not right YET. I will work on it over the next year or so, or next week, it will have a varnish/ PVA/ gloss or something but as you, Cav and Georgy Boy have all said it is a bit to Blue. I did like the colour that Micky had on his layout and so I will work on that first.

Andy

Andy - it's ok to ignore my point of view if I'm being a pain ( :jester:  :angel:  :jester: ). You know George and Cav a bit better than me and if "Georgy Boy" has a suggestion then it's always worth considering.

You've done a superb job on G in a ridiculous amount of time. It really does look good - as you can tell from the kudos other Forum members are giving it. It's your layout though, so stick to your guns if necessary.

I'll go back to my bridge building!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely brilliant photos, Andy.

In some of the photos it's hard to see where the scenery ends and the backscene begins, which is excellent.

You really are so good at setting a scene.

Al

Hi all and Cheers Guys for all your comments.

As for the Loch, well I will make a start and re do that next week after a break and a start on Annes Hill.

But for now here are some more pics from today

post-9335-0-28429800-1365970056_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80362500-1365970125_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97829900-1365970220_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23687800-1365970258_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75717200-1365970482_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73400900-1365970557_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-66466700-1365970616_thumb.jpg

Bodgit of the Glen agen? :no:

• Like 11

Andy - it's ok to ignore my point of view if I'm being a pain ( :jester:  :angel:  :jester: ). You know George and Cav a bit better than me and if "Georgy Boy" has a suggestion then it's always worth considering.

You've done a superb job on G in a ridiculous amount of time. It really does look good - as you can tell from the kudos other Forum members are giving it. It's your layout though, so stick to your guns if necessary.

I'll go back to my bridge building!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

I am not ignoring anybody, you are right in saying that  IT IS TO BLUE, but which final colour I will go for is still up in the air, Cav says a browny greeny colour, and George agreed, I liked Mickys pic with that sort of sea foam turquiose mix, or it could possibly be just the grey ballast as a sea bed type of thing and then cover in varnish or PVA to give a clear water effect i.e. looking down into the clear water and seeing the shallow  bed below.

As I said earlier I will leave it for a bit, BUT HOPEFULLY get more pics and suggestions coming in from all the Lunesters and the rest of the Web, I am sure something will jell EVENTUALLY, and I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Andy, I knew what I'd written could be misinterpreted....

I made my comments tongue-in-cheek. I know you listen to everybody's comments and there was no negativity implied!

Light at the end of the tunnel for you probably means sorted by tomorrow. Great work...as always.

Jeff

Sorry Andy, I knew what I'd written could be misinterpreted....

I made my comments tongue-in-cheek. I know you listen to everybody's comments and there was no negativity implied!

Light at the end of the tunnel for you probably means sorted by tomorrow. Great work...as always.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, cheers mate, but NO it wont be tomorrow, TBH I am totally confused by it, Cav started it and I am glad he did, it opened my eyes to the fact that it just wasn't right.

When I first started the build you may remember that I did the water a dark Blue, for no other reason than I had some on my paint pallet from a painting I was doing, I then toned it down to a pale blue and THOUGHT it looked right, now I can see it looks wrong.

Watch out for Annes Hill :warning: :warning: :warning: :warning: :warning: :warning: :warning:

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

Some superb modelling there.

Might I suggest you go and look at waterways, pools, puddles and photograph them from different angles - looking down through the water and across the water?  It might surprise you.

Managed some gluing tonight. Photos to follow...soon....promise.... :yes:

Pollyhydrous

• RMweb Gold

Lookin' good :good:

Especially that tractor....could even be a bit grubbier...like em dirty ;)

For peeps starved with space, this really demonstrates how 2mm can allow the 'train in the landscape' feel...

Morning Bodgit,  Bit of a hornet's nest there with the colour of the water, as you know l live in Stockport, and the river Mersey run's through here, as l pass the mersey everyday l have noticed that it's a different colour everyday, and it all depend's on the weather, if its dry and bright the mersey is normally nice and clear, if its dry and cloudy the mersey is brownish and dirty looking, and on a wet terrible day its really mucky and dark,  so depending on the weather your water would be any colour you like ???

georgy Boy

Cheers again all, well would you Adam and Eve it, this morning the Postie has delivered a flyer, It is Coach tours of Scotland, BUT ther are several lovely pics of Hotels overlooking Lochs, views across Lochs, and shorelines around Lochs, :O trouble is, all the pics are taken on a beautiful day, (as it always is in Glenfinick) with the sun shining across the CLEAR BLUE WATERS :no: now I am even more confused.

back to bed for the day I think :nono:

Anyway Polly thanks for that but a puddle and a waterway give a totally different reflection and reaction to sun light than a clear watered Loch, so that may not work.

Still confused :stinker:

Bodge of he Lodge :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Lookin' good :good:

Especially that tractor....could even be a bit grubbier...like em dirty ;)

For peeps starved with space, this really demonstrates how 2mm can allow the 'train in the landscape' feel...

Hi Pete, that Tractor is the TMC Ltd Edition and I was not sure how far they would go with it so I specified a very light weathering.

Bodgit

Morning Bodgit,  Bit of a hornet's nest there with the colour of the water, as you know l live in Stockport, and the river Mersey run's through here, as l pass the mersey everyday l have noticed that it's a different colour everyday, and it all depend's on the weather, if its dry and bright the mersey is normally nice and clear, if its dry and cloudy the mersey is brownish and dirty looking, and on a wet terrible day its really mucky and dark,  so depending on the weather your water would be any colour you like ???

georgy Boy

Morning George, TBH the Mersey is just a badly silted up River/Canal and the sun will never reflect anything other than the silted bottom or the surroundings as the sun will not penetrate the silt.  But as you quite rightly say the weather makes a big difference.

Bodgit

Andy the 'blue waters' thing is always more prominent when looking out over an expanse of water. Sea or loch or whatever, when looking in at land from close range the water rarely looks blue. Water itself has a very small blue tinge but is over ridden most of the time by reflected light. Looking out over water you get a lot of light reflected from the sky, the blue colour is actually atmospheric in that blue wavelengths are the ones not absorbed by nitrogen molecules in the air so reach our eyes. When near to banks, trees hills or whatever the light reflected from them hits the water and then our eyes so we see their colours reflected in the water like a mirror. Because those colours are the background there is less opportunity for the water to look blue. Because on your layout we are looking into a steep shore on a very small edge of water I would doubt it would ever look blue from that angle. The river portion to the left would certainly never ever be blue.

Cav

Andy the 'blue waters' thing is always more prominent when looking out over an expanse of water. Sea or loch or whatever, when looking in at land from close range the water rarely looks blue. Water itself has a very small blue tinge but is over ridden most of the time by reflected light. Looking out over water you get a lot of light reflected from the sky, the blue colour is actually atmospheric in that blue wavelengths are the ones not absorbed by nitrogen molecules in the air so reach our eyes. When near to banks, trees hills or whatever the light reflected from them hits the water and then our eyes so we see their colours reflected in the water like a mirror. Because those colours are the background there is less opportunity for the water to look blue. Because on your layout we are looking into a steep shore on a very small edge of water I would doubt it would ever look blue from that angle. The river portion to the left would certainly never ever be blue.

Cav

You need a job as a Scientist or a professional Art Teacher,

Bodge :O

Why not go the painted baseboard or paint the underside of the perspex or glass route ?

Still an idea worth considering,

Bodge2

Well thats turned out rather nice!, especially like the one of the 37 on the bridge. 

Hi Gary, just needs Sound, :O  hahah what are you doing this weekend? :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahahha

Bodge3 :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Looking through my photos I came up with this one a small area of water behind the beach at Snettisham

post-8525-0-71570200-1366097520_thumb.jpg

The area is rather flat so no reflections of the landscape are visible, whereas this one from Stover shows with the trees close to the waters edge they are clearly reflected. Also the view point in this one is lower than in the first.

post-8525-0-96722600-1366097789_thumb.jpg

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1

The other issue you need to take into account is the roughness of the surface. A choppy surface will reflect light from many many angles and is more likely to reflect sky as a result. The stiller the surface the more mirror like it will be. Of course introducing ripples to model water will do the same thing except there isnt usually a sky above to reflect so the water undercoat need a little help colourwise which is where Mickys excellent sea comes in. Sea also has a high salt content which help scatter the light around under the surface which adds to the hue.

Andy I used to be a scientist/engineer in material development before going into design. I do miss the sciency stuff I must admit.

Cav

• Like 1