Tyneside electrics

http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=pelaw&record=25

Is it right that this is the original Pelaw signalbox which was replaced by the 'futuristic' version (this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/4874789967/lightbox/ )? You can see the three lines in this photo, the HST coming off the Leamside, the Durham Coast line to Sunderland straight ahead, and the South Shields line going off to the left.

There is some great footage of the Harton electrics on one of the old Railscene VHS tapes from the early 1990s. The speed at which those old electrics used to barrel around with the 21ton hoppers was incredible!

Arp

• Like 1

Ladies and gentlemen although a little of topic... for those that don't know the area, I present to you that most genteel of North East hostelries, the late lamented... JUNGLE...

http://www.jamescott.webspace.virginmedia.com/Pubs/Pubs_010_Jungle.html

P

Crikey, I never realised such a grand old building was ever a house of ill-repute! The Fish Quay at North Shields is very gentrified now, but there are still some good pubs down there. It seems to be having a bit of a resurgence with new restaurants and fishmongers, which is good.

To get back to topic, a photo of Pelaw in electric days here:

http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=PLACE_MADE&s=Pelaw&record=16

Arp

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

yes, that's the Pelaw box I recall from my youth!

As for harton electrics, yes, it was an experience to go down the tunnel from Crossgates yard to the staithes - the tunnel was so tight you couldn't put your fingers out of the cab window...hitting the curve at the bottom was scary.

http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=pelaw&record=25

Is it right that this is the original Pelaw signalbox which was replaced by the 'futuristic' version

Thats it. It was on the Northside of the line.

See The Fastline site:

http://www.fastlinephotographic.gbr.cc/10205/info.php?p=11&pid=430489&ack=9

Anybody having trouble posting???

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure they did ever put any of them back into service. One was towed to Greece for scrapping (the one which lasted the longest on the Tyne) and the other went to Middlesbrough where it still resides, looking rather forlorn and awaiting its fate. The Shields ferry still runs, happily, and is a lovely trip.

Arp

Still there I believe and sinking... 

Formally TSS Dover, BR ferry built in 1965.

Thats it. It was on the Northside of the line.

See The Fastline site:

http://www.fastlinephotographic.gbr.cc/10205/info.php?p=11&pid=430489&ack=9

Anybody having trouble posting???

P

Ah, on the other side of the line to the modern one. I remember that footbridge being there until recently, with a big wooden North Eastern buffer stop at the foot of it.

Arp

• RMweb Premium

Ah, on the other side of the line to the modern one. I remember that footbridge being there until recently, with a big wooden North Eastern buffer stop at the foot of it.

Arp

hadn't clicked it was the same footbridge, but you're right!

think ill watch Get Carter tonight

Payroll, Stormy Monday, Women inTropical places and the Clouded Yellow are films you could watch to get a feel for the area. Hardly any rail content but Payroll makes fantastic use of locations. Stormy Monday starts off with views of Monkton Cokeworks at traffic lights over the Newcastle/Sunderland railway line and I think the Clouded Yellow makes a lot of use of the Newcaslte Quayside. It's a long time since I saw any of them.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Ive seen the clouded yellow and have outakes of it, mainly because of the Liverpool docks and overhead railway scenes in it, never seen the others, thanks for the heads up ill check it out.

Get Carter is a favourite, not for any railway scenes although the railway at the end is interesting.

think ill watch Get Carter tonight

From what I was told by the natives of North Blyth; there was a lot of film taken on the Staithes at North Blyth but never used (what happened to it?), the local ice cream man was give £50 to go play his chimes elsewhere while they filmed!

Mark Saunders

• Like 2

Ive seen the clouded yellow and have outakes of it, mainly because of the Liverpool docks and overhead railway scenes in it, never seen the others, thanks for the heads up ill check it out.

Get Carter is a favourite, not for any railway scenes although the railway at the end is interesting.

If you watch Get Carter tonight watch the beginning very carefully. Shortly after Carter walks into the bar look out for... ... ... THE FIVE FINGERED MAN!

I kid you not...

P

• Like 1

I become aware of that only by watching the film with the commentary on and Michael Caine points it out and mentions that they put him in especially to give a feel of the pub and no one ever notices it :)

I did't know there was a comentary on the DVD. I really must get myself one of these modern devices. My ex pointed out the five fingers when we were at a special screening of the film many years ago. She also said the hand that offers Carter "a light" at the begining of the film was the hand on the trigger of the assasins rifle at the end? Does it say anything about that in the commentary?

P

• Like 1

Nostalgia alert!  yes, the jungle is yuppie flats now, a Doctor I used to know lived in one.

It's only reading this thread that reminds me how complex the railways south of the river were (I'm a South Shields lad) and how complex, they , er aren't any more!

There was a great model of Pelaw box on our old SSMRS club layout, but I don't have any photos of it.

Michael, that's not Tyne Dock station that ends under the bridge by the river, it's South Shields.  Tyne Dock was two stations along, the first stop out of Shields being 'High Shields' more commonly known as Trinity, due to being next to the church of that name.  This was all on a tightly curving embankment that the NCB line to high staithes ran underneath, weaving from side to side.  All gone now, no trace left hardly.  The Metro leaves the passenger line alignment almost immediately after leaving South Shields, and traverses a very old railway that latterly was NCB owned.  It re-joins between what is now Chichester (pro, Ch eye chester, not Chich chester!) Metro and Tyne Dock station, which is on the original line.  I was born and grew up not far from the huge colliery on the seafront of South Shileds, which is now Crown Point or something housing estate.  I used to listen to the electrics shunting all night....#sigh#

Wasn't the winding tower at Westoe a navigation mark? Just thinking that there couldn't have been many seaside resorts with a coal mine virtually on the seafront (62613, a veteran of Winterbottom Hall 1970-71 and Beach Road 1971/2 , and 1973

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the winding tower at Westoe a navigation mark? Just thinking that there couldn't have been many seaside resorts with a coal mine virtually on the seafront (62613, a veteran of Winterbottom Hall 1970-71 and Beach Road 1971/2 , and 1973

Oh yes, very much so. 'conspic' !!!   Could see it from my bedroom window.

NHN, got sent to Riversdale to get me away from home in Shields!  I was an engineer cadet though.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

Oh yes, very much so. 'conspic' !!!   Could see it from my bedroom window.

NHN, got sent to Riversdale to get me away from home in Shields!  I was an engineer cadet though.

Crazy thing, this Alternative Training Scheme! I remember crossing the High Level Bridge on my way to Shields for the first time; there was still a third rail warning sign at the end of the platform at Gateshead East.

• RMweb Premium

Crazy thing, this Alternative Training Scheme! I remember crossing the High Level Bridge on my way to Shields for the first time; there was still a third rail warning sign at the end of the platform at Gateshead East.

Yes, I remember that, fastened to the iron railings!  I wonder if anyone got it.  There were still third rail insulator mounts on the sleepers in Shields station too.

for someone who has never actually been to Newcastle but is planning to in the future

tell me, is there much of a social difference between the north and south of the river?

certainly is where I am from.

The north side is the "right" side, if you're thinking of going to Sunderland don't forget your passport and make sure your tetanus is upto date! :jester:

Not sure exactly where the north portal of the tunnel going down to the riverside was but I couldn't see any evidence in the retaining wall that's still there as the metro shot past it earlier today. Didn't go for a wander round the quayside unfortunately.

• Like 1