Tyneside electrics

Cheeky B****rs nowt wrong with Sunderland I had some good nights in the original Annabelles. :no: Mind my favourite watering hole was always South Shields.

If your heading North Michael you have to fit a visit into Philadelphia the old sheds still stand as does Lambton Engine Works. Theres not much of the old Hetton railway left Built by a certain Geordie  engineer(his first railway building project)some of the old trackbed is still visible .As regards the consett iron ore trains there is a very good article in Ian Allen Trains Annual 1964 some excellent pictures and giving an account of a footplate ride from Tyne Dock up to Consett

Edited by simon hudson
  • Like 2

Cheeky B****rs nowt wrong with Sunderland I had some good nights in the original Annabelles. :no: Mind my favourite watering hole was always South Shields.

"Julies" Ahhhh... "Annabelles" Ahhhh... "The Que Club" ahhhhh.... "Fino's" Ahhhhh.....   Whoops went off into nostalgic night club mode again.

Simon we've never met but I've been asked to pass on regards from one of your fellow operarors from quite a few years back. Someone that has lost count of the amount of times he fell down the steps and stairs at both Annabelles and Fino's. Mr Rick H ex of Birtley Engineers asks, "how are you keeping"?

With apologies for drifting off topic. Again!

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Tell him to pm me and does he remember there was only the two of us who dared to reverse his 9F with a full train of bogie plate wagons through Stocksfield yard I'll never forget his face egging me, on much to the consternation of the other club members. right in the middle of an exhibiion if I recall.Happy days!!

• Like 1

Tell him to pm me and does he remember there was only the two of us who dared to reverse his 9F with a full train of bogie plate wagons through Stocksfield yard I'll never forget his face egging me, on much to the consternation of the other club members. right in the middle of an exhibiion if I recall.Happy days!!

He's recalled that story a few times. He's not on RMweb. He hasn't even got a PC but can access the internet when out and about.

This is the "standard" he's working to now. One of the best running locos I've seen.

post-508-0-20785200-1363732723_thumb.jpg

Oh no he's off topic again...

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

must admit i think the LNER liveries are a bit gawdy, maybe boring but I like them in green with small yellow warning panel :)

They were originally in red and cream (rather like BR blood and custard with a brighter red), then as that livery was considered to conspicuous during the war it was changed to blue and grey as in the photograph. IIRC the original NE electric stock was varnished teak.

They were originally in red and cream (rather like BR blood and custard with a brighter red), then as that livery was considered to conspicuous during the war it was changed to blue and grey as in the photograph. IIRC the original NE electric stock was varnished teak.

One of the Tyne & Wear Metro sets is currently in the red & cream livery!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of studying the few colour photos and especially one of a unit and an A4 in Central station, very good to compare the blue, I (and others) came to the conclusion that the livery was Garter blue and a very light cream. As we know, remembering colours is very tricky but a couple of older gentlemen that that have seen my units and remembered them in this livery said my rendition of the livery colours was right.

• Like 5

Regarding the ES1's, I was told that the cab sides from 26501 will be on display alongside 26500, now back to its original guise of No 1, at Shildon at some point, not sure when though. The original 'bow' collector was removed and changed with the pantograph on both locomotives by the time they went into service in June 1905.

Have some detailed interior shots to accompany the ones previously posted, larger copies available on request;

es1r.jpg

Using A end as the front, which is also the unobstructed front of the locomotive as viewed in the museum, this is the left hand side looking forwards

es1a.jpg

A end

es1b.jpg

The electrical resistances in one of the noses - the interior of the other nose is identical. The two vertical cylinders at the end are the sandboxes, filled from the two noticeable circular lids on each nose

es1c.jpg

B end

es1d.jpg

B end controls

es1e.jpg

es1f.jpg

es1g.jpg

Control panel on A end

es1h.jpg

es1i.jpg

Inside the box for B end on the control panel

es1j.jpg

A end controls

es1k.jpg

es1l.jpg

es1m.jpg

The handle for the pantograph - this is in the 'down' position

es1n.jpg

Interior of the box between the cab windows at B end

es1o.jpg

View of B end with brake wheel in the centre

es1p.jpg

A end

es1q.jpg

Right hand side of cab

I completely agree with you. Being utterly inept, I have a Judith Edge kit being built for me at the moment.

If I like it as much as I suspect I will, I was wondering what justification I could have for a fleet of them.

Paul

Paul, do you mind if I ask who is making the kit for you? Really want one but have no experience and again would rather have one built for me... feel free to PM if you'd prefer

• Like 5

For those wishing to take a photographic tour of the Riverside Branch you could do no better to start of at this page of the RCTS:

(Thanks Dunc.)

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=Newcastle&serial=9#G-119-11A

Sadly all the third rail has gone but you can look out for the Class 101 buffet car and this unusual view of Spillers mill.

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Newcastle&serial=10&img=G-119-12a

The building to left in this view was Malins, Ford Pottery. Reputedly once the worlds largest factory, the building still exists but is no longer an earthenware works.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

There's a photo in that set of pictures of the Point Pleasant viaduct over Willington Dene, further downstream from the taller viaduct which currently carries the Metro. I've never seen a photo of that viaduct from "the ground" as it were and now really struggle to work out where it was (despite photographing Point Pleasant and Willington Quay stations for the Disused Stations website). Has anyone ever seen a picture of it?

Arp

• RMweb Premium

just thought those colours look a bit ice cream van-ish,cant go wrong with BR green imo :)

did anyone notice a few pages back the shot of the South Tyneside units crossing the river showing the 2 versions of BR green

I was wondering about that, is it two shades of green, or the light reflecting differently from the cars being at different angles, or just more weathered on the rear set?

We'll never know!

Hi Arp, I've been looking at Google maps and could the photos have been taken from one of the houses on Ridgewood Crescent? just south of the junction. There's a washing line post by the greenhouse in the pics, so could easily be a garden and on the satellite view there is what looks like a fairly recent housing estate on the north side of the railway that could have replaced the high rise.

Hi Arp, I've been looking at Google maps and could the photos have been taken from one of the houses on Ridgewood Crescent? just south of the junction. There's a washing line post by the greenhouse in the pics, so could easily be a garden and on the satellite view there is what looks like a fairly recent housing estate on the north side of the railway that could have replaced the high rise.

worsdell you hit right on the head i moved down to the coast in 67 and the pictures where taken mostly from the upstairs back window

they where on slides that have been photo shopped that view has now gone as you can not  see any thing for the trees, also had at one time a good view of the double hieght signal gantryfurther to the east

Id say these 2 are definatley in earlier and late liveries, especially at this date where it was still to be seen in other parts of the country that had green EMU's.

I think your right there.

And thats the "Blaggers Hide out"  from the film Payroll down there on the left.

See 1:30:36

http://youtu.be/MtNfq9BXwCI

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit late for the Electrics but bits at the e nd of the South Shields branch were still visible in the Mid 60s. These were taken from the arch btidge on the road running along the south bank of the Tyne. In the first is the water tank and water crane left other from the NER period. The second shows the station itself. If we turn 180 degrees we find the remains of the turntable.

I hope these are of interest

post-6751-0-09773600-1363946610_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-17034400-1363946767.jpg

post-6751-0-18309900-1363946764.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

They were there a lot later than that, Arthur - until the metro was built I think.  River Drive bridge was always a good vantage point, for Brigham & Cowans shiprepairers looking over the other side too!!

You're right. I have just checked. The colour slide was August 1973. The others were later, but not much!

ArthurK