Tyneside electrics

Really interesting, I might go and have a wander down one day. I think the inset tracks are all gone now and it's just road leading to the pitcher and piano. The retaining wall is now hidden by an embankment i think.

• Like 1

The large retaining wall is hidden by earth, however the smaller one can still be seen. If i've got this link right you can see where it changes in construction which is where I reckon the tunnel mouth would be:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.971436,-1.593581&spn=0.000861,0.004106&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=54.971443,-1.593398&panoid=pZJ923M3gQQK2Fhp6FZJ-g&cbp=12,299.8,,0,-1.35

there's "40" marked on the wall just by the change, and the silver legs of a chair sticking up out of the embankment.

Next time I'm in town and the weather's ok I'll probably have a mooch along.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

carry on watching that video for a minute or so and there is footage of the articulated sets and a baggage car in the 60s

And tolley buses running without the knitting above them......they used their batteries.

Lovely bit of film.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

do B&R videos do anything soley on the Newcastle electrics and area?

there is a brief mention and a couple of shots of them on their Woodhead DVD.

I know they do a DVD about electrics around the country, havent seen that one yet, can anyone recommend it?

Ive got one of the steam on 35mm dvd's which includes a cabride in the 30s I think through Newcastle to Manors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen the aerial photos of Newcastle, Manors etc on Ernie's flickr site?:  Go to this link :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626511380460/

and then to 1920s Aerial views on Tyneside and SE Northumberland.

I didn't put the link straight to the set as they look quite small on screen as a slide show vi RMWeb.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Do you mean this? Again one from Ernies collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5795703613/in/set-72157626756942193

This one is the lower tunnel entrance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5796263090/in/set-72157626756942193

David

yes thats the one,I wasnt sure if that was the tunnel or an arch in the road bridge, both great shots.

Interesting to note that the Tyneside Parcel Car was fitted with buffers however the passenger stock was not.

XF

and whats interesting in the shot of the clayton hauling a set for scrap in post#25, the unit must have had a temporary coupling or the hook was hooked up in a way it wouldnt normally, being on its last journey they probably didnt care.

did post that early on but no problem, id like to ask a question about that shot, is that the tunnel mouth? im not sure it is, if not does anyone know of a shot of the tunnel mouth at this end.

Sorry Micheal. Didn't see it. That a short bridge under Newbridge Street. There was a Greensheild Stamp Shop (Who remembers them?) a bit further along the road towards Byker. There was 3 tunnels on the Quayside branch. Birch lined, stone faced. I've been told the tunnels are all still intact, but filled.

P

Edited to correct C*ck up.

Just had a re-read of my notes and a quick look at a copy of the LNER line diagram for the quayside branch. The "Bridge" under Newbridge Street was classed as a tunnel due to it's length. It was stone faced and brick lined.

"Birch" lined... PAH!!! What was it I thinking!

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I wondered that as on google earth you can see what looks like the line decending in a single track opening to the east of the road bridges, in the archive shots you can see the ending of the 3rd rail.

also seen this on the Newcastle forum.

post-27-0-71261000-1363300991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that the Tyneside Parcel Car was fitted with buffers however the passenger stock was not.

XF

The parcels cars could pull extra vans and between them they could haul the 'control set', a fixed rake of coaches wired up to run between the two parcels vans at busy periods. The parcels cars had 2 motor bogies each making them powerful enough for this.

Edited by Worsdell forever

The parcels cars could pull extra vans and between them they could haul the 'control set', a fixed rake of coaches wired up to run between the two parcels vans at busy periods. The parcels cars had 2 motor bogies each making them powerful enough for this.

ahh, so that is what Chris Pendleton has modelled, it puzzled me what it was.http://www.freewebs.com/jnw290/

In the shot of his model there is a articulated set in the background, im sure ive seen pics of those too somewhere.

I have seen the shot of e68000 at Pelar hauling the 2 vans, superb, Id like to see if it did that on Merseyside,but doubt it.

what ive noticed about the South route at Newcastle central, there is quite a big gap in the 3rd rail for this route over the crossings. thought it may be a slight problem for a parcels car.

http://flic.kr/p/cXhrEd

and the "Newbridge" entrance as it was Oct. 2011. Apologies for the crappy Quality of the phot. The Advertising hoarding still in use!

Ah so that's where it is. I lived that way last year but could never work out where the entrance was. 

Apparently some of the tunnel is still there and it runs very close to the Victoria tunnel near by. (I was told there was there is only a few pieces of wood in between at places!)

Simon