Tyneside electrics

I took several of the photos for the Disused Stations surveys of the Riverside Branch and B&T and found it absolutely fascinating to trace these routes. It was a really interesting system. I also attended a talk by Bill Donald at the Stephenson Locomotive Society recently in which he detailed the building of the Quayside branch (which was hugely expensive!) and the electrification. The locomotives didn't seem to do much work other than travelling from South Gosforth sheds down to Manors, round the curve at the back of Manors North and over to Trafalgar Yard. They spent most of their day shuttling up and down between Trafalgar Yard, occasionally Manors Yard, and the yard at the bottom of the tunnel on the Quayside. The tracks on the Quayside itself were shunted by J71s and later 03s. Sadly I missed the talk the week after about the Tyneside electrics as I had to go to the match! Bill seems to have done a lot of research though and I think may be collating it all for a book on the subject.

The short branch to Collywell Bay which I mentioned earlier is detailed here on the Disused Stations site: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/collywell_bay/index.shtml - it would have been really interesting to see how that branch would have developed if WW1 hadn't intervened. It was built to be electrified from the start so would probably have survived well into the 1970s. It's definitely a model waiting to be devised!

Arp

• Like 1

The parcels unit is available from Dave Alexander (I don't think he has a website but is at most North East shows) - I can't recall if it's the LNER version or the original NER version though. Could you point me in the direction of the article on converting an EPB to a Tyneside unit? It's been a long-held ambition of mine to build a layout depicting a 'what-if' of the Collywell Bay branch being opened and the electrics surviving into the 1970s.

Arp

There ya go...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25482-building-e68000-tyneside-br-parcels-car/

I think that might be the page referred to. I think it was a mate of Robert Carrol that did the build. If I remember correctly it was up for sale at the Blyth show on the layout opposite your Dads. Harton Gill rings a bell.

I've got a couple of prints of the platforms at Collywell Bay taken well before the gardeners and smallholders moved in. I'll dig them out for Scaleforum. (Or before, should our paths cross.)

Porcy

Edit: There is an excellent print of E68000 hauling a goods train through Redhill in 1955 in the lens of Sutton Collection and Ian Carr took a rather nice pic (Previously unpublished I think) of it hauling a couple of Box vans through the crossovers East of Pelaw Station heading for S Shields. Thats with the Armstrong photographic trust now.

Edit: (Again) Disregard all the above rubbish. Wrong prototype... I plead, "it's the early hours" M'lud.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Stop !!!! To many potential EMU projects!  However it does make me consider having an Model EMU stand/layout at a future Show with a selection of models of older EMU's, most likely in 4mm. Anyone else think that this might be a good idea? -If so I think I will start a separate thread.

XF

• Like 1

some pictures here, halfway down page

http://www.freewebs.com/jnw290/

that was the link id seen earlier, superb build but ive not seen any mention of that particular type of formation before.

does anyone know any good archive footage of the system on DVD's?

there is a brief few shots of them at Newcastle on the railway roundabout 1960 video.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that is the Quayside branch. I believe Trafalgar Yard was just left of the left side of the map shown?

I'm sure that is Central Station top right and manors Station in the middle. That line peeling off the main just to the left of Manors is going north to another big yard where Trafalgar stuff was sorted. Wagons were usually taken over there by J72s

However I might be completely wrong especially as I always thought north was at the top of maps.

Yup that was bo****ks.

Sorry.

P.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

If on Mr D's map you look at the Quayside branch carefully you will see that its third, lower tunnel, is crossed almost at right angles by another "Tunnel". The Victoria Tunnel was originally a colliery wagonway that brought coal from Spittal Tongues Colliery to the Quayside. It still exists and is occasionally open for tours.

P

• Like 2

click on the map itll bring it up full size, not sure where I found that but think it may have been on a site with something to do with the victoria tunnel, rings a bell.

just admiring Mike Edge's 4mm 26500 and 26501 built by Mike from his kit on Ian Rathbones site, very very nice..

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gallery-2---4mm-scale.php

• Like 1

I don't think that is the Quayside branch. I believe Trafalgar Yard was just left of the left side of the map shown?

I'm sure that is Central Station top right and manors Station in the middle. That line peeling off the main just to the left of Manors is going north to another big yard where Trafalgar stuff was sorted. Wagons were usually taken over there by J72s

However I might be completely wrong especially as I always thought north was at the top of maps.

The upper part of the Branch is visible lower left. Upper right is Heaton yards/Shed and Walker Wagon Works with the Heaton Works of Parsons/NEI to the south of the lines and Needlers Chocolate Emporiorim to the North of the Yards. The Station in the middle is Heaton.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish I'd had that map before I went up there a few years back and the one slightly to the west as that would show Trafalgar Yard.

Having discovered how to enlarge the map on this here newfangled laptop thing I'm using I could read the names.....DOH! 

Presumably that is the edge of Heaton Depot top right? I'd read about that coal tunnel and its' history. Had no idea it was available to visit.

p

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me that I have a part completed ES1 (Edge) with EM Black Beetle bogies in the loft. I think that could go to a new home but I would need a 'contribution' for that particular article; any one want one (easily converted to OO as I have not made/fitted the bogies and the BB ones could be moved on)?

By the way, fantastic pics chaps - thanks for those.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Sorry a bit OT. Thanks Porcy I'll let my son know about that as he would love to go down there (he visits the beautiful city regularly). Sure I could go too........

If you look at the satellite location map on the visits website you can see where the Quayside branch emerged west of the Consultants and where there is a City  Road marking(church? just above),just west of Tyne Street flats and just above a little loop path on Quayside. There is a grassed area and that is where the tunnel entrance and pump house used to be I'm sure.

If you play with the satellite map and go a bit north you can see where Trafalgar Yard was in the triangle between New Bridge Street, Stepney Lane apartments and The New Bridge on Argyle St. Just to the right of the apex of that triangle you can see where the branch curved round to the right of the main line (metro Line there now) and follow the track curve h(see Media Exchange) down to Quayside. The wonder of Google earth maps eh?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

does anyone know any good archive footage of the system on DVD's?

there is a brief few shots of them at Newcastle on the railway roundabout 1960 video.

There's a short incidental sequence of one at Monkseaton on the TVP title "Diesel & Electric Journey Through the '60s".  I've got it on VHS, I presume it's available on DVD.  Worth having anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those pics of the demolition are sad yet superb for orientating where the line was. There is just so much development there now you'd hardly know there had ever been a railway yard there, unless of course you are  'in the know'! That huge retaining wall is still there in parts isn't it?

Can anyone pinpoint exactly where the  tunnel entrance/exit was on the Quay?

That is Manors Station I presume on the box diagram with T'r Yard to the left and the branch to the main yard curving off to the left of the station?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

this forum has a few pics of the tunnel site with the pumphouse and someone has done an overlay of an old and recent arial pic.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1308595&page=4

British railways past and present 4 has a shot of a j72 on the quayside, Id like to see a shot or 2 of a electic loco on the quayside if anyone knows of any

• Like 1