Heljan western

D1030western musketeer

Now weve seen the excellent Dapol release although in my experience not without operational status what future has the Heljan model got.

Loads have appeared on fleebay just lately but will they produce anymore.

I have 7 and have all been modified so have personal feelings with them and due to reasons beyond my control may be stuck with them but may have to go for some more.

Kind of sad really i hear you say.

richard.

I only have one Western and, nice as the Dapol one is, I can't see me buying another. The existing one is a maroon Heljan 'Western Talisman', in which I have fitted Howes' sound. I modified the cab roof shape with nothing more fancy than a needle file, repainted and weathered the roof area and am content with that.

The Heljan model runs superbly and looks the part, to me.

I have a Heljan western, but I am going to sell it as the Dapol one suits me better.

The add on detail is easier to apply on the Dapol model and the brake gear is better as well. The roof detail of the Heljan model has see through grills and better detail.

The cab roof shape of the Heljan Western never really bothered me as the model was not destined for a show case but was run on my layout.

When viewed running on the layout the Heljan Western was at a distance of around a metre which equates to over 200 feet if veiwing the real thing and at that distance the cab roof shape isn't an issue. 

Edited by Darth Vader

Thanks guys.

So no real problems with them although yes i can see a load being ditched for dapols version.

Photos of your heljans version most welcome.

Due to electrical issues well documented elswere am deemed to have to keep my Heljan ones with having to possibly get somemore.

richard.

• RMweb Gold

As Heljan continue to release the odd 47 despite the ViTrains and Bachmann models I'd say they'll keep doing their Westerns. I have one Heljan and a BR blue Dapol loco on the way. I will assess the new arrival and make up my mind then. Running quality is a big factor for me (as important as anything, possibly even the most important thing to me) and the Heljan Wizzo I have is tough to beat.

• RMweb Premium

I too have a Heljan Western, also sound fitted with a Howes decoder. Im very happy with it and will not be replacing it..... But I will be getting a Dapol Western, simply to add to the fleet... The idea is that it is an additional loco?

Regards

I have one Blue Heljan Western, and agree with a lot of the comments above. Despite people's criticism of the cab roof, with a little detailing elsewhere, I like the look of the Heljan model. It is also agood runner.

Modelling the Midland region in Yorkshire, it is a bit of an imposter, although at least one made it to Leeds in the 70s, so it isn't an essential loco for the layout, but is a nice occational addition, so perhaps I am a little easier going with the concerns about the model.

It also has sentimental value as it was one of the first presents my parnter bought for me a few years ago. So no plans to get the Dapol model.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Only just picked up this thread. I've got a fair few Heljan Westerns, and I decided not to offload them on the arrival of the Dapol model. There is a bit of work to do to the Heljan models, mainly around the cab roof peak and the scavenger grilles which have already been mentioned, I reckon with this work done using the excellent Shawplan etches they are running a close second to the Dapol model. There will always be errors with RTR and the Dapol model is not entirely free of them either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heljan continued to sell theIr Western and may do further production runs, and a retooling perhaps? Heljan have not retooled anything to date but there's always the first time. They have of course done a lot of research for the O gauge model- perhaps could form the basis of a 4mm upgrade too - as long as they correct the headcode box position on the 7mm model, which to me is a show stopper.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Hi all thanks for comments.

Hi have just spent most part of the weekend assessing my fleet and doing up a latest one.

New headcodes fitted,All brakegear scratchbuilt,roof filed down, fans and mesh fitted on the roof aswell as cab detail.

This one will become a fiifhy weatherd D1040 western queen as she was in 1968.

She will join.

1010/1011/1023/1030/1041/1045 and 1062 with plans for 1000 in blue and 1054 maroon and will join 8 hymeks,4 warships and 2 class 22s.

A class 43 from Bachmann is also welcomed news.

We  Have 7 Westerns available  at the  last  count  all Heljan  (sorry just been told  its EIGHT   8)  we  have  no intention of  replacing any of them  for  Dapol versions.

All our  Westerns  perform brilliantly and it  would not seem cost effective  to replace  them.

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

Hi

I have 5 Heljan Westerns ,2 with sound ,the Dapol model is excellent ,but as previous messagers have said I will not be ditching mine anytime soon ,they are fine for me,i have ordered a LTD edition Lord and Butler maroon model.to add and not replace.

I also still prefer the Heljan class 47s too :no:

I have 2 Heljan Westerns and 3 old Lima Westerns.  I am wating for a Dapol Western to arrive and then I will start disposing of the old Lima ones.  I will be keeping both Heljan Westerns, always thought it was a good model, runs well and the issue with the cab front has never bothered me that much.  I paid £35 for my first Heljan one at a show some years ago, it was brand new.  The other I got from Ebay for £50.  The Dapol one is costing £104 which is by far the most I have ever paid for a locomotive.  I cannot see any justification to replace the Heljan Westerns, which were great value and are much loved.  Might even buy another, if I find one at the right price on Ebay.

• Like 1

I have two Heljans, one of which has one cab end modified for the article I wrote in Model Rail. The work was not difficult but does leave the roof fairly fragile until you fill it. I may eventually modify the other three ends. I currently have one Dapol (D1000) which I'm well pleased with, and several Lima which will end up on Ebay and probably sell for peanuts, if they go at all. Alongside either Heljan or Dapol they really do look 30-odd years out of date. One has Ultrascale wheels which might well get transferred to the Cheltenham Models l/e D1015 which I'll probably keep for sentimental reasons. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Out of interest, does anyone still have the old Hornby "Western".....?

I had one a few years back which I modified the valances / buffer beam on, did some cursory detailing and painted green / SYP. It looked OK if you pretended you couldn't see the poor bogies and undersized wheel sets.

I have 3 Heljan Westerns and still collecting.  I also have 12 Lima Westerns and no plans to replace them all with the Dapol model.  I do have the WLA Ltd Ed version of D1062 on order to support the WLA.  In a few years time AN Other will introduce a model of the ultimate Western and there will be a surge of Dapol models cascading down through the ranks just as we are seeing the Heljan models now.

Edited by D1056WesternSultan
  • Like 1

Heres some photos of my aging Heljan fleet.

included are D1000/1010/1011 ex works/1023/1040/1045/1054 and 1062.a class 15 also appears.

richard.

Nowt wrong with them Richard! all looking good and on a really nice layout from what I can see.

I've just been to the local MR shop but they still haven't got any Dapol ones in. As I haven't seen one for real yet I can't say for sure, but my plan is to buy one to add to my collection, the rest of my Heljan's are staying.